Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: El Coyote

Default Re: El Coyote

Awesome! I hadn't seen any dates posted.

HangryHippo Guest

That patio. 😍

Love it!

I think the entire decor is beautiful and am so incredibly excited to try it!

Can't wait to give it a try, but I'm going to opt to give it a week or so.

They are going to be completely overrun for a while.

We've been getting massive engagement on our social media posts.

8. Default Re: El Coyote

I'll try it out hopefully in a few months. Before it gets too cold to sit outside

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I'll try it out hopefully in a few months. Before it gets too cold to sit outside
    I'm guessing it will be too cold for outside in few months. I'm gonna wait for a few weeks myself, but I'm more about the food than the patio.

10. Default Re: El Coyote

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I'm guessing it will be too cold for outside in few months. I'm gonna wait for a few weeks myself, but I'm more about the food than the patio.
    Wrong. We just passed false fall and are now in 3rd Summer. Soon it will be pre-winter followed by 4th Summer. I am prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Wrong. We just passed false fall and are now in 3rd Summer. Soon it will be pre-winter followed by 4th Summer. I am prepared.
    That's right

Almost always 3-5 days per month in December/January/February that are warm enough for outdoor dining, IMO. Especially if the patio has some sort of buffer against the wind.

^

Patios have become a huge thing in OKC, and not just because of covid. It was moving in that direction long before.

Now, lots of business owners are trying to figure out how to extend the usefulness of outside space. Look at the Jones. Added a retractable roof, have heaters and misters... Almost no day out of the year where their patio isn't in heavy use.

Many are now starting to design their outdoor space with the capability to later add temporary walls and the like. I know this was part of the plan with the patios at Dave's and Fuzzy's in Bricktown. Very early on, The Pump added that tent and then systematically made it more weatherproof.

Businesses are getting more inventive and investing more in these spaces and it generally really pays off.

Blog Entries

Went by at 5:00 tonight. Was a 5 HOUR waitlist. Cars all over Britton.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Went by at 5:00 tonight. Was a 5 HOUR waitlist. Cars all over Britton.
    Holy sh*t. 5 hours?

Awesome Good for them!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    Holy sh*t. 5 hours?
    Yes. I asked them to repeat it just to confirm.
    They don’t take reservations but they started the wait list at 4 pm. Said you could call in to get on wait list.

HangryHippo Guest

They don’t take reservations but they started the wait list at 4 pm. Said you could call in to get on wait list.
    Wow. Good for them I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    Wow. Good for them I guess!
    I am going to have to cancel a planned lunch meeting with a client on Thursday. El Coyote announced that they are abandoning lunch and brunch until further notice.

Still excited to try it. I have to admit, though, that when I see photos of pickled onions and radishes on the stacked enchiladas I'm starting to lose hope that this is remotely authentic New Mexican.

Chefs gotta chef.

Yeah...we walked in, heard there was a 4hr wait, and walked right out. Luckily, we had parked just past Venn, so we went in for the first time. REALLY glad we did! We'll definitely go back to Venn.

Blog Entries

Went yesterday shortly after they opened. No waiting.

They are new, so they have some things to work out. Here's my take.

The house margarita is TASTY. Not much tequila in it, but good. High priced fruit drink.

The salsa is not spicy at all and has no real distinguishing taste. Is slightly watery.

Chips are thick, which was good for scooping up the guac we had. They were prepared well... not greasy.

Guac was basically just mashed avocados with a little garnish. Was kind of bland.

We ordered two dishes and only one came back what we ordered. They then took about 15-2- min to bring the second. That meant the wife and I ate in shifts. No bueno.

I had the stacked tortillas and added the beef adovada. The menu said it cilantro, pickled onion, etc., but I found none of that. The meat was three bite size pieces and was an added price. The stack was very bland and only luke-warm, at best. The adovada sauce was nondescript and could be out of a bottle. No subtleties, no interesting spices. Thin crust of basic melted cheese on top. I even got it with the red sauce they said was spicier than the green and it had no zing to it at all. The pozole with it had no seasoning and just was in its own juice. Nothing like what you find in New Mexico. The beans were basically just mashed up refried beans and weren't seasoned or embellished either. None of the dish had much flavor and absolutely no heat.

The other dish was the stuffed sopapillas. It was much better than the stack but not comparable to real New Mexican. It did come out hot, though very late.

I very much want them to succeed, and I will go back to try other dishes. But, it isn't too promising to be real New Mexican cuisine when the waiter recommends the cheeseburger as the best item on the menu. They need to incorporate real chiles and spices in a little broader offering.

After the mistakes on bringing the right dish, and then long wait and having to eat in shifts, I would have expected an offer of an adjustment of price, an offering of something to say sorry, etc. I don't usually take them up on it, but they didn't even ask. Most good places at least try to make you think they are sorry and would like you to come back. The waiter just wanted to blame the kitchen but wasn't even aware they had the wrong dish til we pointed it out.

I'm hoping that what we experienced was opening issues and they get the service and menu figured out. It is a good looking place and I'd love to spend the fall in their patio. Hope they give me a reason to.

Went yesterday shortly after they opened. No waiting.

They are new, so they have some things to work out. Here's my take.

The house margarita is TASTY. Not much tequila in it, but good. High priced fruit drink.

The salsa is not spicy at all and has no real distinguishing taste. Is slightly watery.

Chips are thick, which was good for scooping up the guac we had. They were prepared well... not greasy.

Guac was basically just mashed avocados with a little garnish. Was kind of bland.

We ordered two dishes and only one came back what we ordered. They then took about 15-2- min to bring the second. That meant the wife and I ate in shifts. No bueno.

I had the stacked tortillas and added the beef adovada. The menu said it cilantro, pickled onion, etc., but I found none of that. The meat was three bite size pieces and was an added price. The stack was very bland and only luke-warm, at best. The adovada sauce was nondescript and could be out of a bottle. No subtleties, no interesting spices. Thin crust of basic melted cheese on top. I even got it with the red sauce they said was spicier than the green and it had no zing to it at all. The pozole with it had no seasoning and just was in its own juice. Nothing like what you find in New Mexico. The beans were basically just mashed up refried beans and weren't seasoned or embellished either. None of the dish had much flavor and absolutely no heat.

The other dish was the stuffed sopapillas. It was much better than the stack but not comparable to real New Mexican. It did come out hot, though very late.

I very much want them to succeed, and I will go back to try other dishes. But, it isn't too promising to be real New Mexican cuisine when the waiter recommends the cheeseburger as the best item on the menu. They need to incorporate real chiles and spices in a little broader offering.

After the mistakes on bringing the right dish, and then long wait and having to eat in shifts, I would have expected an offer of an adjustment of price, an offering of something to say sorry, etc. I don't usually take them up on it, but they didn't even ask. Most good places at least try to make you think they are sorry and would like you to come back. The waiter just wanted to blame the kitchen but wasn't even aware they had the wrong dish til we pointed it out.

I'm hoping that what we experienced was opening issues and they get the service and menu figured out. It is a good looking place and I'd love to spend the fall in their patio. Hope they give me a reason to.
    Studying the menu online, I noticed they refer to the Chile as Anaheim. I realize the Hatch Chile is basically the same, but it seems they have abandoned even trying to source New Mexican Chile. Seems pretty disappointing.

Giving them a try this week. Holding my breath that it will be authentic.

Thank you, Rover, for the great review, wish more people would go into that kind of detail (I try to do reviews similar to yours, hate the "good food, great service, go there" reviews). Seems odd that the quality is that bad given the restaurants Stranger has been associated with, wonder how involved he actually is...

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Studying the menu online, I noticed they refer to the Chile as Anaheim. I realize the Hatch Chile is basically the same, but it seems they have abandoned even trying to source New Mexican Chile. Seems pretty disappointing.

Giving them a try this week. Holding my breath that it will be authentic.
    Dang I had such high expectations. Aftet Rover, not so much. Please let us know your experience post dinner take.

The only really great New Mexican restaurants I remember in Oklahoma were the Border Crossing in Norman during its heydey, and Trujillo's de Santa Fe, also in Norman. There was a place called I think Blue Corn Cafe or something? It was on North Penn near Memorial. It was pretty good but I only went there a couple of times.

Green Chile Cafe in Yukon is pretty good but not great. Their green chile is way better than their red chile.

Thread Information