Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: El Coyote

Britton El Coyote

Resurgent Britton district to add restaurant, brewery and distillery

The redevelopment of the Britton District continues with three new businesses being planned.

Patio area of El Coyote

On the north side of the street and at the far west end, chef Jonathon Stranger (Osteria, Bar Chicchetti) has submitted plans for El Coyote, a restaurant and bar that will feature New Mexican cuisine. The design by AHMM Architects includes a large adobe-style patio will the interior will be highlighted by a long interior bar and southwestern elements.

El Coyote interior

Immediately to the east will be Madhopper Brewery in a structure that once housed the Britton Theater.

El Coyote space to the left, Madhopper Brewery to the right

And a distillery and tasting room will soon be coming to the old Ritz Theater on the south side of Britton.

Venn Pizza opened in June in a completely renovated space with a back patio.

Zero Tolerance Coffee also opened in early 2020, as did the historic Owl Court motel has been restored from ruins into several small shops and office spaces, joining several businesses in renovated structures.

Owl Court

Also, a new butterfly garden on the southwest corner of NW 92nd and Western will soon provide a relaxing spot for visitors on what is now a vacant lot.

Britton was once a separate municipality until it was annexed by Oklahoma City in 1950.

The town was named after railroad attorney Alexander Britton who worked for the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. As part of the charter to allow the railroad to be built through Oklahoma, a railway station was required to be built every 7 miles. The first stop north of Oklahoma City became known as Britton and the town once had 6,000 residences where Main Street (now Britton Road) became the main commercial corridor. For a time, Route 66 passed directly through downtown Britton.

Default Re: El Coyote

They are now well under construction.

Here is an advanced look at their menu from the El Coyote FB page:

3. Default Re: El Coyote

I like the design of the place! That patio looks cool

Construction is moving along.

In the first photo, Madhopper brewery is on the right and the interior is also well under construction.

I'm very excited for this. We love New Mexican cuisine.

El Coyote and Jonathon Stranger have been posting photos of the food and drinks and it all looks pretty amazing.

I have the feeling this place will be overrun with business.

Fingers crossed it brings legit New Mexican food to life in OKC! Green Chile Kitchen in Yukon isn't bad, but OKC has needed something top notch in this culinary category for a long time.

Great to see Britton growing the way it is.

El Coyote is gonna be a game changer for Britton

Seemed pretty shady when I moved to OKC in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Fingers crossed it brings legit New Mexican food to life in OKC! Green Chile Kitchen in Yukon isn't bad, but OKC has needed something top notch in this culinary category for a long time.
    Frida?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Frida?
    Several New Mexico style dishes on their menu and their food is oh-so-good:

https://fridasouthwest.com/menu

El Coyote will be more casual with a New Mexico-only menu (which I posted above.

Frida is good, but it's not really New Mexican (as in the state, like El Coyote) -- even the items with green Chile. It's "new" as in, a new interpretation of Mexican cuisine. Still very good of course but not like Santa Fe-style.

I see why this is so confusing when I say New Mexican, I'm referring to the style of food native to New Mexico.

And yes, I've tried their stacked enchiladas, which are quite good, but are different than what one would find in Santa Fe.

their FB says inspired by the cuisine of Oklahoma, Santa Fe and northern Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    their FB says inspired by the cuisine of Oklahoma, Santa Fe and northern Mexico
    Thank you for making my point. I'm familiar with the restaurant and its FB and branding, but It's not traditional New Mexican cuisine, and that's totally fine. Oklahoma, Mexico and New Mexico are three wildly divergent influences. This is not meant to be a critique of Frida. However, if you were from Northern New Mexico and craved a taste of home, you wouldn't really get it at Frida. You would get a very good meal in a beautiful space, just not a traditional New Mexican meal.

Hopefully El Coyote delivers.

IMO New Mexican/Arizona/El Paso cuisine is just OK

The mexican food capital is San Antonio IMO, amazing mexican food all over that city from fast food to high end to authentic and its the largest majority mexican city in the US.

The mexican food capital is San Antonio IMO, amazing mexican food all over that city from fast food to high end to authentic and its the largest majority mexican city in the US.
    Agree.

I love the food in San Antonio. This is not an argument about what style is the best. There are multiple regional varieties of Mexican food in Mexico, as well. Some I like more than others but they are all great.

Sounds like you haven't had excellent New Mexican food, and Arizona-style Mexican food is Sonoron, which is also very good, but different than New Mexican. Feel free to hit me up in a private message and I'm happy to share some good spots for you to try next time you're in New Mexico.

Sometimes it seems like you really just like to argue a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I love the food in San Antonio. This is not an argument about what style is the best. There are multiple regional varieties of Mexican food in Mexico, as well. Some I like more than others but they are all great.

Sounds like you haven't had excellent New Mexican food, and Arizona-style Mexican food is Sonoron, which is also very good, but different than New Mexican. Feel free to hit me up in a private message and I'm happy to share some good spots for you to try next time you're in New Mexico.

Sometimes it seems like you really just like to argue a lot.
    Oh yeah for sure about the variety of styles as there is so many regions of mexican cuisine I've never had but that gap is closing.

That is why I always say "IMO" because that is all it is my personal preference.

I probably have not had excellent SW mexican food. Spent a few months in El Paso for some training when I was in the military back in 2007/08 and ate at a couple places and my brother is retired AF in Tucson and we went to one place that he really likes and it was good but not amazing. IMO, mexican food seems hard to mess up and I also like baja mexican in Southern California as well.

I did not realize New Mexico and Arizona and El Paso were different I thought it was all SW mexican food.

I think text, threads, comments seems like people are arguing I'm just stating my opinion when it comes to food.

If I'm talking about something factual I will post links to back up what I'm saying and if I'm wrong I'll admit I'm wrong.

No worries. I sent you a private message for some recommendations.

Located in the Britton District, El Coyote is very close to opening.

The newest venture by chef Jonathon Strager, the New Mexican bar & cantina, will feature green chile enchiladas, blue corn tacos, smothered burritos and a green chile cheeseburger.

Drinks will include a honey-chile mezcal old fashioned and a prickly pear margarita among others.

The large adobe-inspired patio features a mature tree and outdoor fireplace.

i am excited about this place

This place is going to absolutely murder it.

That patio is going to be amazing and I bet the food will be too.

I love New Mexican architecture and New Mexican food. On pure aesthetics alone this place looks amazing but the food sounds even better. Can’t wait to try it!

Just noticed a "road closed beginning August 22" sign this morning in that corridor between Western and about Classen. I remember reading that they were going to do extensive road work in the area, but am not sure how long this particular closure will last. Hopefully it won't affect the new restaurant's opening numbers.

What's going on with El Coyote? They were like we're opening soon on every twitter FB post now Crickets. Things seem to have gone quiet since August.

They open a week from today, Friday 9/23.

Thread Information