Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OKC Pizza

1. Default Re: OKC Pizza

Eagle One Pizza is a great place. They have a few locations but I have only used the one on Classen. https://www.eagleonepizza.com/

Default Re: OKC Pizza

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    Eagle One Pizza is a great place. They have a few locations but I have only used the one on Classen. https://www.eagleonepizza.com/
    Wow, they really expanded! I used to order from them often, and remember when they only had the location in Greenway Plaza (SW 119th & Western)... it doesn't seem like it was that long ago but now they're up to 5 stores. Don't expect it to measure up to some of the fancier pizza options around town, but it's good cheap pizza and they don't skimp on the toppings. It's just your standard hand-tossed pizza, not NY style or anything, but I can definitely echo the recommendation here, they're good and tasty! The only reason we stopped ordering from them is because there's something in their pizza that just doesn't agree with the hubby's gut... we haven't been able to figure out what it is, but it doesn't seem to affect me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Or Jet's NY Slice or Papa Angelo's?

Although I'm not sure if Papa Angelo's still has by the slice. They used to do it at lunch only but haven't been there for lunch since Covid started due to them only being open for lunch a few days a week.
    Looks like Jets is in Moore, not OKC. Will try Rendezvous next time I am downtown for something.

4. Default Re: OKC Pizza

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    Looks like Jets is in Moore, not OKC. Will try Rendezvous next time I am downtown for something.
    Yes and Papa Angelo's is in Bethany.... I'm pretty sure this thread was meant to cover the OKC metro area

Add mozz and mari for ny style by the slice. Granted their pizza is crispy instead of floppy.

Are there any decent Chicago deep dish pizzas in the OKC area?

Man, I don't think so. Seems like its NYC, Detroit, or generic. We ain't even got any Old Chicagos anymore.

If you find some let me know lol

8. Default Re: OKC Pizza

Even Old Chicago doesn't do Chicago style deep dish. Pizza Uno is the only chain l know of that does.

9. Default Re: OKC Pizza

The Heat (first known as Humble Pie) in Edmond scratched that itch for me, but sadly they are no more. I had Giordano's up in Chicago in January for the first time in a long time, and man, it was good.

No idea if it's any good, but Birra Birra has two deep dish pizzas on their menu.

And yes, I LOVE Giordano's. Had one in Chicago, and one in Vegas earlier this year. Super expensive, takes forever to get, and you'll feel like a fat pig after eating one, but so worth it.

Giordano's is good but I've found the quality varies by location. Pequod's in Chicago is my personal favorite.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    The Heat (first known as Humble Pie) in Edmond scratched that itch for me, but sadly they are no more. I had Giordano's up in Chicago in January for the first time in a long time, and man, it was good.
    We went to Humble Pie / The Heat a lot and enjoyed it. I agree it was a loss when they closed. As a kid also loved Mi Pi’s deep dish.

Birra Birra has a deep dish pizza. I've had it once and really liked it althought it has been a while.

Deep dish pizza takes a lot longer of a time to cook than regular pizza, and I can't help but wonder if that is part of why there are not many / any options in OKC. If each table takes two to three times as long to turn, can a deep dish pizza place be as profitable as a regular?

In lieu of going to Chicago, Pequod's to be mailed. A friend sent us a couple of pizzas last year, they were good.

https://www.goldbelly.com/restaurant...k?ref=merchant

Quote Originally Posted by dheinz44 View Post
    Giordano's is good but I've found the quality varies by location. Pequod's in Chicago is my personal favorite.
    +1 on Pequod’s. That place is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gordon View Post
    Deep dish pizza takes a lot longer of a time to cook than regular pizza, and I can't help but wonder if that is part of why there are not many / any options in OKC. If each table takes two to three times as long to turn, can a deep dish pizza place be as profitable as a regular?

In lieu of going to Chicago, Pequod's to be mailed. A friend sent us a couple of pizzas last year, they were good.

https://www.goldbelly.com/restaurant...k?ref=merchant
    FWIW, The Heat / Humble Pie did a good amount of business pre-pandemic. COVID is what killed 'em off, unfortunately. I've heard of Birra Birra's deep dish but haven't tried it yet - it looks like theirs is smaller than what The Heat served, though. The next nearest place I'm aware of to get a Chicago deep dish is going to be Savastano's up in Tulsa. They're quite popular up the turnpike, and I wish they could be convinced to open a second location down here.

A google search says that Just Baked bakery and deli in Yukon might do Chicago-style pies for takeout by special order, but they don't have any mention of it on their website so I have no idea how accurate that is.

It's not Chicago deep dish, but if you want an Oklahoma-Chicago fusion pizza, try the Game Changer at Hideaway. It's got cup-and-curl pepperoni and thinly-sliced italian sausage along with Chicago-style hot giardiniera on it and it's freaking DELICIOUS. Only place I've found locally that offers giardiniera as a pizza topping.

Tried the deep dish at Birra Birra. Good but not great. I can only speak for mine but they committed the cardinal sin of not cooking it all the way so that the first bite in the middle was "not quite done." Still could have used a few more minutes in the oven. Forgiving that, the rest of it was very good, but it makes me hesitant to give it a second chance. $25 and a 25 minute wait for food that is "almost fully cooked" isn't worth it. And I say that as someone who has no problem dropping $40 and waiting 40 minutes (with incredibly rude Chicago waiters) for real Chicago-style pizza.

Thread Information