Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OKC Pizza

Default Re: OKC Pizza

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    That's bizarre about The Wedge - we are able to get in whenever we go, but it's usually early afternoon on the weekends. Got into the Deep Deuce one on a Friday night before the Lindsey Buckingham show at the Criterion wtihout any problem either. But yeah, they're small, go at off times, it'll be worth it (the pear appetizer and beet salad are great, and pretty much every pie we've had there is good, but we've only had 4 or so of their specialty pies).
    Sorry, I should have chose better words. get into = enjoy.

GTK about Mozz & Mari, the floppiness is what I don't like about Empire, we'll have to make that our next pizza stop!
    If we get a whole pie from Empire we ask for well done but individual slices have a little to no flop the few times I had them.

But yeah, Mozz and Mari's is great!

Danny Falcone is now the owner of NY Pizza and Pasta on Campus Corner at OU! He is doing a great job there - Pizza is great and there is a lot more on the menu as well including great italian dishes.

4. Default Re: OKC Pizza

New York Pizza on Campus Corner in Norman is some of the BEST big floppy plain (cheese) pizza around! People really sleep on them, but they were the star of my friend's and I's pizza nights! I love them and Notorious in Norman. Up in the city, Empire ALL DAY, but if New York was up here I'd get it SO often. That crust flavor is just phenomenal!

I'm done with Hideaway on NW Highway. Last 2 to go orders from there were horribly constructed. Ingredients just haphazardly thrown on with no thought to coverage and then horribly unevenly cut. When you are paying over $40 for 2 medium pizzas I expect way better quality and care in presentation than a chain like Dominos, Pizza Hut, etc. Both times I gave them a horrible review when asked to fill out a survey and was never contacted back about being dissatisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    I'm done with Hideaway on NW Highway. Last 2 to go orders from there were horribly constructed. Ingredients just haphazardly thrown on with no thought to coverage and then horribly unevenly cut. When you are paying over $40 for 2 medium pizzas I expect way better quality and care in presentation than a chain like Dominos, Pizza Hut, etc. Both times I gave them a horrible review when asked to fill out a survey and was never contacted back about being dissatisfied.
    Maybe I was just lucky but I got a takeout pizza there last weekend and was very pleased with it. It was exactly what I ordered and well constructed.

We haven't been to The Wedge ever since we tried ordering a build your pizza and the waitress insisted the cheese counted as a topping. So a two topping pizza for us was a pizza with sausage on it. In all of my years eating pizza from all sorts of establishments, both in OKC and out of state, I have never, ever been told cheese was a topping. I was perplexed and pushed back on the notion of cheese counting towards our toppings that the waitress said she would give us a pizza with have sausage and the other half pepperoni and not count that as 3 toppings! I would like to see a discussion on whether cheese is a topping on pizza, or that cheese is needed in order to call it a pizza.

That's weird about The Wedge. I wouldn't count cheese as a topping for cost, unless of course you're ordering a 'cheese' pizza. I mean unless you're getting extra, calling cheese a topping on a pizza is akin to calling pizza sauce an optional topping.

9. Default Re: OKC Pizza

Cheese = no
    Extra cheese = yes

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Cheese = no
    Extra cheese = yes
    This. Debate settled.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    We haven't been to The Wedge ever since we tried ordering a build your pizza and the waitress insisted the cheese counted as a topping. So a two topping pizza for us was a pizza with sausage on it. In all of my years eating pizza from all sorts of establishments, both in OKC and out of state, I have never, ever been told cheese was a topping. I was perplexed and pushed back on the notion of cheese counting towards our toppings that the waitress said she would give us a pizza with have sausage and the other half pepperoni and not count that as 3 toppings! I would like to see a discussion on whether cheese is a topping on pizza, or that cheese is needed in order to call it a pizza.
    blasphemy

Is sauce considered an add-on too?

Ridiculous.

This is a hill I will die on. As someone from the NYC area, when we want a pizza with no toppings (e.g., pepperoni) we order a "plain" slice which always seemed obvious to me. I can't tell you the number of times I've been told it is called a "cheese slice" as if cheese wasn't by definition an inherent part of pizza. I even once ordered a "plain" slice at Empire, which purports to be true NY style, and the waitress looked at me confused until another person in my party clarified I meant a cheese slice. Similar to Pete's point: must you clarify you want sauce, too? I don't know why this grinds my gears as much as it does but it really irks me. That said, even beyond naming conventions, actually charging to have cheese be a topping is pretty egregious. Maybe if we agreed to call a cheese-only pizza "plain" such confusion wouldn't occur.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    This is a hill I will die on. As someone from the NYC area, when we want a pizza with no toppings (e.g., pepperoni) we order a "plain" slice which always seemed obvious to me. I can't tell you the number of times I've been told it is called a "cheese slice" as if cheese wasn't by definition an inherent part of pizza. I even once ordered a "plain" slice at Empire, which purports to be true NY style, and the waitress looked at me confused until another person in my party clarified I meant a cheese slice. Similar to Pete's point: must you clarify you want sauce, too? I don't know why this grinds my gears as much as it does but it really irks me. That said, even beyond naming conventions, actually charging to have cheese be a topping is pretty egregious. Maybe if we agreed to call a cheese-only pizza "plain" such confusion wouldn't occur.
    All of this is true. Including "grinding my gears". A close second is asking if I want ranch.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    Reminds me of the Yankee friend of mine who asked for "a bag for my soda" and it took 15 seconds for the clerk to reply "a sack for your pop"?

I don't really have a point here, but with all the discussion of cheese and pizza I just want to make note that my son's preferred pizza is a pepperoni with extra sauce and no cheese

17. Default Re: OKC Pizza

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    All of this is true. Including "grinding my gears". A close second is asking if I want ranch.
    Ranch with pizza is as Okie as free queso... I don't have a problem with it even though I don't care for the combination.... Now if they asked me that in NYC I might drop dead on the floor.

My fiance were on a trip a couple of years ago and stopped somewhere down in the SE, may have been in Tennessee, and grabbed a pizza. She asked the waitress for ranch and we hadn't ordered any salads. The waitress kind of hesitated and when she walked away my non-foodie fiance asked what that was about and I said "You shouldn't ask for that outside of Oklahoma.".

Some online pizza ordering places apparently make you choose (check a box for) cheese and sauce - if you don't, you get a crust and pepperonis (or whatever) scattered all over it. Never had that experience myself as we never use those places, but it's completely stupid to do it that way. Cheese and sauce should always be on the pizza by default and if you *don't* want it, you can request they not put it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    I don't really have a point here, but with all the discussion of cheese and pizza I just want to make note that my son's preferred pizza is a pepperoni with extra sauce and no cheese
    Same with my daughter. She has never been a cheese fan and now at 22, she has started being lactose intolerant (or at least at a point that she notices a detrimental result when she has lactose)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Beard Face View Post
    New York Pizza on Campus Corner in Norman is some of the BEST big floppy plain (cheese) pizza around! People really sleep on them, but they were the star of my friend's and I's pizza nights! I love them and Notorious in Norman. Up in the city, Empire ALL DAY, but if New York was up here I'd get it SO often. That crust flavor is just phenomenal!
    Glad Norman has good pizza. NY style by the slice in OKC remains a challenge. Venn is so hit and miss, we usually use Empire instead. Not a fan of Detroit style and with Humble pie gone, not much around for Chicago style. Hideaway pizza lacks flavor, upper crust is passable in a pinch, Gabriellas used to make a tasty white pie but since the move have not tried them. Sauced is sorely missed. Wish I could get Golden Boy flown in from the West, or Ray's from the East. I don't understand why walk up pizza slice shops are not an option for OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    If you need ranch with your pizza, your pizza has zero flavor. Salad dressing has no place anywhere near a pizza (fancy drizzle of balsamic on pine nuts and Neapolitan style is not salad dressing)

No, nowhere like it used to be.
    Which makes sense since it sounds like he opened the Norman place instead.

23. Default Re: OKC Pizza

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    ...NY style by the slice in OKC remains a challenge. Venn is so hit and miss, we usually use Empire instead...
    Have you tried Rendezvous?

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    That's weird about The Wedge. I wouldn't count cheese as a topping for cost, unless of course you're ordering a 'cheese' pizza. I mean unless you're getting extra, calling cheese a topping on a pizza is akin to calling pizza sauce an optional topping.
    Reminds me of when ordering a bacon cheeseburger, plain and the place leaves the bacon off. "Well, you said plain" -- I would have just ordered a regular cheeseburger plain if I didn't want the bacon.

Big fan of George Carlin and of course his perception that 95% of the people in our society are "asleep at the wheel".

25. Default Re: OKC Pizza

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Have you tried Rendezvous?
    Or Jet's NY Slice or Papa Angelo's?

Although I'm not sure if Papa Angelo's still has by the slice. They used to do it at lunch only but haven't been there for lunch since Covid started due to them only being open for lunch a few days a week.

Thread Information