Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PGA Championship 2022 - Southern Hills, Tulsa

Default Re: PGA Championship 2022 - Southern Hills, Tulsa

Was hoping for some pics or maybe you can't take pics during a tournament?

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    The greens weren't mowed this morning because of high winds. Inter testing to see how the greens play today.
    Why would winds affect mowing the greens?

If they mowed them the balls would have not held still this morning with those gusts.

4. Default Re: PGA Championship 2022 - Southern Hills, Tulsa

Quote Originally Posted by Paule4ou View Post
    If they mowed them the balls would have not held still this morning with those gusts.
    Ok. But everyone would still have played the same greens. More difficult, more interesting but the same for everyone. This level of golf shouldn't be easy.

5. Default Re: PGA Championship 2022 - Southern Hills, Tulsa

I’m not sure whether I’d agree that watching tour pros blow greens is more interesting. Also would have magnified the advantage high winds already give to golfers from places like Oklahoma and Texas. Ask Lee Trevino about that one. The PGA might’ve felt that was too close to home cooking for their taste.

They have signs up saying "no photos or videos within 100 feet of course" but 0% of folks are paying attention to that. I've been lucky enough to marshal a hole, and that was never even mentioned as something to try and look out for.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F8C9062D-C97D-4184-BD70-5139C8524827.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	3.35 MB 
ID:	17467Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F8C9062D-C97D-4184-BD70-5139C8524827.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	3.35 MB 
ID:	17467
    Quote Originally Posted by formerly405Tulsan View Post
    They have signs up saying "no photos or videos within 100 feet of course" but 0% of folks are paying attention to that. I've been lucky enough to marshal a hole, and that was never even mentioned as something to try and look out for.

Name:	1260EAC9-F01E-4B6B-A771-30D42FB98D0F.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	17468

I never saw a sign about that. Every person there was taking pics/videos.

8. Default Re: PGA Championship 2022 - Southern Hills, Tulsa

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I’m not sure whether I’d agree that watching tour pros blow greens is more interesting. Also would have magnified the advantage high winds already give to golfers from places like Oklahoma and Texas. Ask Lee Trevino about that one. The PGA might’ve felt that was too close to home cooking for their taste.
    Ok. I can see the "home course advantage" thing.

Blog Entries

I have friends in from out of state for the PGA as their club pro made the field. The overall group is about 25 strong, and they could not be more complimentary of their experience in Oklahoma which includes the people, Southern Hills, and just the overall trip to Okla (they flew in to OKC). Most of them had never been to Oklahoma. I was up there the last couple of days and it was nice to hear their very positive comments.

In true Oklahoma fashion, it goes from 95 degrees on Friday to 55 on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Ok. But everyone would still have played the same greens. More difficult, more interesting but the same for everyone. This level of golf shouldn't be easy.
    the thing is if the balls are rolling off the green from the wind (after they have come to a rest) that is reason enough to cause a weather delay ..

nothing to do with easy / hard ..... just general fairness ..

I was there all day today and it was freezing arse cold. The cool temps, very strong winds and cloudy skies all added up to really unpleasant spectating and a very challenging course.

They did a great job running the dozens of big, luxurious shuttle buses from Oral Roberts.

But there were just massive food and drink lines all day. I was there for over 8 hours and never had anything to eat or drink.

Blog Entries

That’s unfortunate - we didn’t have issues with food or drink at all on Thursday. It was busier on Friday but not impossible to get things. Must be the weekend crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I was there all day today and it was freezing arse cold. The cool temps, very strong winds and cloudy skies all added up to really unpleasant spectating and a very challenging course.

They did a great job running the dozens of big, luxurious shuttle buses from Oral Roberts.

But there were just massive food and drink lines all day. I was there for over 8 hours and never had anything to eat or drink.
    was the same story at the OU spring game, and I'd imagine we'll see it at the Thunder games, too. Tough to staff the concessions these days for big events. Venues might need to start paying folks some real money.

15. Default Re: PGA Championship 2022 - Southern Hills, Tulsa

Bathroom lines were almost an hour on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    That’s unfortunate - we didn’t have issues with food or drink at all on Thursday. It was busier on Friday but not impossible to get things. Must be the weekend crowds.
    It was so bad, I had a wristband for totally free food and drink and I never ate or drank anything all day.

We actually left earlier than I would have liked because we had been out there for nearly 8 hours and I couldn't take it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It was so bad, I had a wristband for totally free food and drink and I never ate or drank anything all day.

We actually left earlier than I would have liked because we had been out there for nearly 8 hours and I couldn't take it anymore.
    the concession stands (and bathrooms) on the outside edges of the course .. had some manageable lines (or no lines at times) Friday and Saturday (by 15/12/ 6/ practice range) the others had crazy lines even on friday ..

I'm absolutely exhausted after spending a full Sunday - Sunday out there volunteering and then spectating almost all day every day of the tournament. What an incredible finish! Tried to not have my phone constantly out, but did get a few photos/videos.

Sunday afternoon, the calm before the storm:
    https://vimeo.com/712904310

Stumbled on Tiger's Sunday practice round. Started with about 3 other people watching, only about 20 by the end of his round. Will definitely never have that opportunity in my life again. (Unsurprisingly) the best he looked all week.

Name:	IMG_2650.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	17470

https://vimeo.com/712898917

Name:	IMG_2648.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	692.5 KB 
ID:	17471

Thursday morning, 6:21 AM - just before the madness!

Name:	IMG_2676.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	2.68 MB 
ID:	17472

Patrick Reed having to drop after hitting into the creek on 17 on Sunday. Love to see it.

Name:	IMG_2702.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	17473

View of the playoff hole on 13. Got to watch the playoff on 17 standing right next to Justin's dad, which was neat, and then watch the finish from the first fairway before heading out.

Name:	IMG_2706.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	17474

Assorted photos of the course:

Name:	IMG_2655.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	17475

Name:	IMG_2679.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	17476

Name:	67467972409__C706859C-8045-4393-A806-C8A2F7BC1B0B.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	3.29 MB 
ID:	17477

Top row of the grandstand at 12 - great view of 18 behind. Solid spot on the course:

https://vimeo.com/712906756

Quote Originally Posted by Paule4ou View Post
    Oh, of course. Wasnt thinking of that when you said it, but more of why the wind would physically prevent them mowing in the morning lol.

The concessions were a joke. Free food and drink with ticket but you could hardly find any hot food like burgers and hot dogs without waiting forever. Huge fail on the PGA's part for inadequate concessions. But they had fully stocked fridges and quick lines for the $18 beers!

Saw on the news Tiger quit

I don't follow golf and I'm sure all of you know this

I suppose the concession issues will be at most sporting and music events for the foreseeable future. It must be tough for them to get temporary workers.

Otherwise, it was a great event for Tulsa and the state. The shuttle buses were really easy and efficient and there were huge crowds on Saturday and from reports, every day.

And all this without the star power of Tiger on Sunday (and really, never in contention) and defending champ Michelson still in hiding after his PR and gambling debacles.

Lots of the golf writers I follow on Twitter said the course was outstanding and they expect SH to join PGA Frisco as an "anchor course" for the PGA Championship.

23. Default Re: PGA Championship 2022 - Southern Hills, Tulsa

I was there all day Sunday. Concessions were a nightmare after 11am. Just couldn't keep up with the demand for food. I have a feeling if they didn't have the "free food" and drink options that it might have been better. Or dedicated tents for those people with certain wristbands.

They need to have cell phone booster towers or exanded wifi around the course as well. Our group had terrible reception all day. Bathroom lines seemed to go pretty quick.

Course was in great shape and crowds were awesome though. Good exposure for Tulsa and SH

^

Yes, meant to mention the cell phone reception which was pretty much non-existent.

I didn't care about phone calls or texts, was just trying to navigate the course and follow what was happening and that was virtually impossible.

In this day and age where there is fantastic free TV coverage, you really need to get these things right.

25. Default Re: PGA Championship 2022 - Southern Hills, Tulsa

Yeah thats what I meant to explain. We had no idea what was really going on trying to follow on the app. I wish there were more live TVs set up so you could see what was going on around the course

Thread Information