Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Homeless Population

Default Re: Homeless Population

Quote Originally Posted by dheinz44 View Post
    https://www.okc.gov/Home/Components/News/News/4652/18 glad to see the city taking some action and I hope it can make a difference for some. I did notice this weekend that they have large concrete blocks under the I-44/Penn bridge to prevent shopping carts from being pushed in and looked like they had some kind of steel blocking off the areas at the top of the slope where people were sleeping.
    That's very good to see.

As I've mentioned, the City, County and Police were out there virtually every day, as was a big cleaning crew.

It's incredible the amount of trash even 20 people can make in a day. It would get cleaned up, and then the cycle would repeat day after day, month after month.

It's got to be cheaper to just house these poor people, and a million times more humane.

The issue is going to be the panhandling. They build camps where they can beg for money at an intersection and they all have cell phones (ever notice how those 'free phone' places put up pop-up tents near these camps?) and it won't be long before others move into those spots.

2. Default Re: Homeless Population

Tough love and treatment is the answer. Enabling them to just maintain and continue the behavior only hurts them in the long run.

3. Default Re: Homeless Population

Reno Ave and Western under OKC Blvd has had piles of debris lately. It just looks horrible. The constant upkeep, like Pete mentioned, must be enormous.

4. Default Re: Homeless Population

Quote Originally Posted by OKCbyTRANSFER View Post
    Reno Ave and Western under OKC Blvd has had piles of debris lately. It just looks horrible. The constant upkeep, like Pete mentioned, must be enormous.
    Write the Action Center once a week or more if you have to. I have done this with other locations and things do get taken care of if you are persistent about it. It works!

5. Default Re: Homeless Population

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Write the Action Center once a week or more if you have to. I have done this with other locations and things do get taken care of if you are persistent about it. It works!
    Actually, I do contact the Action Center, for other issues but never for homeless camps. And yes, it works.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCbyTRANSFER View Post
    They cleaned the soot off the walls recently (idk if by washing or painting or both). And yesterday morning when I drove by, a group of 4-5 people had a campfire going about 6ft from the walls.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Tough love and treatment is the answer. Enabling them to just maintain and continue the behavior only hurts them in the long run.
    Yup, the easier it is to be homeless the more homeless there will become. I know how harsh that sounds, but its the unfortunate truth.

Blog Entries

What does "tough love" look like to you and how do you personally determine who deserves tough love and who deserves help and kindness? What is the success rate of "tough love" programs in the US?

I hear a lot of chest beating and pontificating about tough love, but it usually means "do nothing to help" and "look the other way". I see very little info on what it is and how it actually improves "the long run".

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    Yup, the easier it is to be homeless the more homeless there will become. I know how harsh that sounds, but its the unfortunate truth.
    I am not piling on. But, your statement makes homelessness appear to be aspirational? I'm not sure there is anything "easier" to become than flat broke with no place to live?

10. Default Re: Homeless Population

Yesterday, while I was at work, a homeless person was asked to leave our business's property. He refused to leave, and the police were called. One of our owners had a conversation with the Police, who showed up on the scene to ask this person to leave. It was stated to our owner by the Police that he should protect his property by owning an AR-15 and that the Police have been ordered to leave the homeless alone because they are dangerous. I'm not sure what this means, but it sure seems like they are refusing to help with the situation and referred to the mental health department. We have sent many types of communications to many different departments without help. Does anyone else seem to be having the same experience?

Haven't had that experience because I'm not a business owner, but have read that Tulsa's approach is working out pretty well, here's something about it, be nice if OKC implemented something like that (not sure if they have or plan to):

https://www.newson6.com/story/658f65...l-health-calls

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    Yesterday, while I was at work, a homeless person was asked to leave our business's property. He refused to leave, and the police were called. One of our owners had a conversation with the Police, who showed up on the scene to ask this person to leave. It was stated to our owner by the Police that he should protect his property by owning an AR-15 and that the Police have been ordered to leave the homeless alone because they are dangerous. I'm not sure what this means, but it sure seems like they are refusing to help with the situation and referred to the mental health department. We have sent many types of communications to many different departments without help. Does anyone else seem to be having the same experience?
    The OKCPD has been instructed not to engage with "dangerous" individuals? And they are suggesting business owners take the law into their own hands by arming themselves? What kind of police force is OKC paying for?

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    The OKCPD has been instructed not to engage with "dangerous" individuals? And they are suggesting business owners take the law into their own hands by arming themselves? What kind of police force is OKC paying for?
    I'm guessing something is getting lost in translation. I "think" that OKCPD no longer takes people to jail for simple trespassing. It might be part of the ongoing effort to stop criminalizing being poor, or homeless, and a strong desire to reduce the jail population overall. An effort to deescalate police interaction probably makes it more desirable to identify people having mental health issues and trying to get them help more quickly. A couple years ago I watched officers work for about an hour getting a woman reasoned with and into a squad car, where they were getting her help. Admirable effort.

If you ask an officer "what am I supposed to protect my property?" Then you might get the answer "Buy an AR-15".

14. Default Re: Homeless Population

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I'm guessing something is getting lost in translation. I "think" that OKCPD no longer takes people to jail for simple trespassing. It might be part of the ongoing effort to stop criminalizing being poor, or homeless, and a strong desire to reduce the jail population overall. An effort to deescalate police interaction probably makes it more desirable to identify people having mental health issues and trying to get them help more quickly. A couple years ago I watched officers work for about an hour getting a woman reasoned with and into a squad car, where they were getting her help. Admirable effort.

If you ask an officer "what am I supposed to protect my property?" Then you might get the answer "Buy an AR-15".
    We have dealt with the homeless for years now. We are located close to Homeless Alliance. We have tried to work with them and the city council to work something out. Nothing has been done to help the surrounding business owners, so some have decided to take matters into their own hands. We didn't ask the Police what we should do to protect our property, and it was suggested we get an AR-15 because another property owner in the area has done so. We did not press charges but were asked if we would like to. We were glad that the person did not get arrested. We do not feel like we are in danger from the homeless. We fear a fire burning down a building. It has happened many times down here, including last week.

This has more to do with the lack of support our city officials give the homeless. The Homeless Alliance is only a bandaid and can't do much if the city lacks services to help the homeless.

15. Default Re: Homeless Population

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Haven't had that experience because I'm not a business owner, but have read that Tulsa's approach is working out pretty well, here's something about it, be nice if OKC implemented something like that (not sure if they have or plan to):

https://www.newson6.com/story/658f65...l-health-calls
    OKC, last July (I think) implemented Houston's very successful program, so I expect to see results soon.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    We have dealt with the homeless for years now. We are located close to Homeless Alliance. We have tried to work with them and the city council to work something out. Nothing has been done to help the surrounding business owners, so some have decided to take matters into their own hands. We didn't ask the Police what we should do to protect our property, and it was suggested we get an AR-15 because another property owner in the area has done so. We did not press charges but were asked if we would like to. We were glad that the person did not get arrested. We do not feel like we are in danger from the homeless. We fear a fire burning down a building. It has happened many times down here, including last week.

This has more to do with the lack of support our city officials give the homeless. The Homeless Alliance is only a bandaid and can't do much if the city lacks services to help the homeless.
    I'm a little more than a mile west and north of you. Been there 40 years. It is a real challenge. Arson fires, theft, vandalism. Cost me over a quarter million dollars over the years. Not for the faint of heart. Never owned a gun in my life and I don't feel the need. Treat them with respect, help if possible and easy, be firm and keep them moving. I absolutely respect them and don't screw with them. They generally reciprocate.

I do wish the city did more for them.

Living near I-44 & Penn, the City has pretty much resolved the long-standing problems in that area.

There are still some panhandlers at the intersection, but no longer any sort of camp and when a tent pops up, it gets taken care of.

They transitioned most of those people into low-threshold housing; requiring sobriety just doesn't work for most this population and that's why they prefer to stay on the street. They are basically following the very successful model pioneered by Houston and continue to add more apartments and shelters.

It's all part of a new "Key to Home" program:
    https://www.okc.gov/government/key-to-home

Anyone can call 2-1-1 to be connected to resources.

BTW, James Cooper deserves a lot of credit in this area. That dude works his tail off and is always realistic about the compromises required to accomplish anything in politics. Asst. City Manager Aubrey McDermid has also been incredible. We have some really good people working for OKC these days.

18. Default Re: Homeless Population

It is very good to see OKC being proactive in this situation. Denver has let the problem run out of control and is spending hundreds of millions $ buying hotels in residential areas, building tiny home communities and sweeping encampments. They are doing this at the expense of mowing parks, license and permit services and a reduction of the police force.

It is very good to see OKC being proactive in this situation. Denver has let the problem run out of control and is spending hundreds of millions $ buying hotels in residential areas, building tiny home communities and sweeping encampments. They are doing this at the expense of mowing parks, license and permit services and a reduction of the police force.
    Mug, I am curious... did the homeless problem increase decrease or have little to no affect after marijuana was legalized?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    Mug, I am curious... did the homeless problem increase decrease or have little to no affect after marijuana was legalized?
    I think alcohol is way, way more a problem than pot.

21. Default Re: Homeless Population

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I'm a little more than a mile west and north of you. Been there 40 years. It is a real challenge. Arson fires, theft, vandalism. Cost me over a quarter million dollars over the years. Not for the faint of heart. Never owned a gun in my life and I don't feel the need. Treat them with respect, help if possible and easy, be firm and keep them moving. I absolutely respect them and don't screw with them. They generally reciprocate.

I do wish the city did more for them.
    We worry about all of that. We pay a security team to patrol every night and check on us during the day. We have also spent a lot of money on new fencing at our main doors. We try to treat all of them with respect and usually save our anger for the officials who morally shame us or do nothing to help at all.

I am sorry you have had to spend so much money as well just to keep your property safe.

22. Default Re: Homeless Population

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Living near I-44 & Penn, the City has pretty much resolved the long-standing problems in that area.

There are still some panhandlers at the intersection, but no longer any sort of camp and when a tent pops up, it gets taken care of.

They transitioned most of those people into low-threshold housing; requiring sobriety just doesn't work for most this population and that's why they prefer to stay on the street. They are basically following the very successful model pioneered by Houston and continue to add more apartments and shelters.

It's all part of a new "Key to Home" program:
    https://www.okc.gov/government/key-to-home

Anyone can call 2-1-1 to be connected to resources.

BTW, James Cooper deserves a lot of credit in this area. That dude works his tail off and is always realistic about the compromises required to accomplish anything in politics. Asst. City Manager Aubrey McDermid has also been incredible. We have some really good people working for OKC these days.
    Thanks for those resources. We will start contacting those. Our Council Person refuses to even take our calls.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    I’m told by officers up there on the street, that as they look back the weed issue was a turning point.

We as a society need to put more into care for those with mental heath issues. It is not always a money issue but having the tools to get the people into the care they need and having the tools to keep them getting the care they need. I know of two cases well families with money were unable to keep their loved ones in care because the person did not want help for their mental issues. For those without money/family that cares, what are they to do? They are on the streets. There needs to be a better way.

25. Default Re: Homeless Population

I honestly think that folks commenting on homelessness in OKC should understand the (hopefully) seismic shift underway related to how OKC addresses the issue, and that begins with understanding the new “Key to Home” program. It’s not an issue that can be solved overnight. Short of becoming a police state and locking people up simply for being destitute and not having a place to sleep, there’s not a simple way to make the issue “go away,” and criminalizing homelessness doesn’t “fix” anything. In fact, it breaks more than it fixes.

Though Key to Home is quite new, it has gained lots of traction. Nearly 1500 individuals were re-housed in 2023. If you take some time to actually read about it, and take a look at who is involved, you’ll understand that OKC is highly committed to getting a handle on homelessness: https://www.okc.gov/government/about-key-to-home

Of course I’m sure few if any commenters here will actually take the time to click through the links provided.

Thread Information