Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: May 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: May 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    7 day forecast is full of low- to mid-90’s. These temps are just awful for this time of year. Going to be a crap summer at this rate.
    I disagree, it sounds like wonderful weather. Amazing pool and lake weather!

HangryHippo Guest

7 day forecast is full of low- to mid-90’s. These temps are just awful for this time of year. Going to be a crap summer at this rate.
    This. It’s just gross.

3. Default Re: May 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Count me on the "this is too **** hot for May side.

Quote Originally Posted by brunnesa View Post
    I disagree, it sounds like wonderful weather. Amazing pool and lake weather!
    My future energy bills say otherwise...

It's important to point out that there are a lot of people who have to work outdoors or indoors w/o air conditioning (like Hobby Lobby warehouses).

And the extreme heat is very hard on the homeless and elderly.

Not everyone has the luxury of running up a $300+ electric bill or has access to a lake/pool.

6. Default Re: May 2022 - General Weather Discussion

June doesn't look much better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FSj9wbCUUAICv28.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	17448

Rain chances continue to go up this weekend and into next week. Potential for big rains next weekend into early the following week

Also watching the tropics, models are showing a system in the GOM next week

Can somebody explain to me why in the world we’re seeing this unseasonably hot weather?

Can somebody explain to me why in the world we’re seeing this unseasonably hot weather?
    Mother Nature is punishing is for 23rd and Lincoln. *sarcasm*

We're in a La Nina, and this often happens during a La Nina where we go into a summer pattern early in the season. When we go back into an El Nino, it will be much more rainy and cool. Not sure when that'll be, though. La Nina could last through the coming winter.

It’s just wonderful! Got in the pool today and it was perfect.

After a couple of blazing hot days, the wind just picked up and temps dropped about 15 degrees.

Now in the high 70s at my house.

Is Friday a severe weather day? Just based on highs/lows for Thur/Fri/Sat it looks like it could be but that's obviously a terrible methodology

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Is Friday a severe weather day? Just based on highs/lows for Thur/Fri/Sat it looks like it could be but that's obviously a terrible methodology
    It could be, but more likely the cold front will move through before there's enough instability to initiate thunderstorms. The SE portions of the state will have more of a chance.

The strong cold front should lead to a gorgeous weekend, especially after all of the hot weather we've seen recently. Possibly some beneficial rainfall early next week, as well.

Late next week into Memorial Weekend potentially looks interesting for severe weather, IMO, given pattern recognition (weak ridging attempting to build in over the state with a possible trough in the Desert Southwest). Obviously subject to change given that we are still about 10-14 days out, and even if the general pattern does end up favorable, it'll ultimately come down to the timing/strength of individual systems. Should be able to start getting into some specifics towards the end of this weekend.

Looking way ahead, we can probably expect the death ridge to once again assert itself sometime during the first week of June, with accompanying above average temperatures and below average precipitation.

^ It will be interesting to see if the tropical system the models have been showing materializes. Conventional wisdom is that an eastern Gulf landfall will rob moisture from any southern Plains system. Depending on if/when landfall happens that would affect the weather Memorial Day weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    ^ It will be interesting to see if the tropical system the models have been showing materializes. Conventional wisdom is that an eastern Gulf landfall will rob moisture from any southern Plains system. Depending on if/when landfall happens that would affect the weather Memorial Day weekend.
    Yeah, we’ll have to see. My instinct is to be very hesitant of anything the GFS blows up into a hurricane in the 240+ hour range, but certainly you’re correct that even a smaller storm in the Gulf generally results in drier than normal conditions over the Southern Plains. I’ll be interested in what the ECMWF shows once it gets in range.

Severe Weather season over? There really nothing in the next 10 days now getting to end of May

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Yeah, we’ll have to see. My instinct is to be very hesitant of anything the GFS blows up into a hurricane in the 240+ hour range, but certainly you’re correct that even a smaller storm in the Gulf generally results in drier than normal conditions over the Southern Plains. I’ll be interested in what the ECMWF shows once it gets in range.
    And just like that the tropical system is gone from the models. Agree with being cautious with the long-range models for that reason. I mainly look at them for trends which are generally pretty accurate.

Should see a small overnight MCS come out of CO and through the panhandles. Most models kill it off and keep it contained mostly to NW/NC OK. Will have to watch development trends as it slides E for any impacts to C OK.

This is the time of year for MCS's from Colorado, usually in the overnight or early morning hours.

Looking at radar trends, would not be surprised to see the MCS roll right into OKC overnight tonight. Seems to be much further south than what has been modeled.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Looking at radar trends, would not be surprised to see the MCS roll right into OKC overnight tonight. Seems to be much further south than what has been modeled.
    The MCS missed the OKC Metro. Tulsa was on the tail end, most of the rain stayed in northwest/northern Oklahoma which is great for those areas that really needed it

Cold front moving through north okc. Pretty good drop in temperatures and dewpoints behind it.

Yes, cold front is ahead of schedule. So severe storm chances are now further south. I would say from the RR to S of Norman is best shot. And subsequently all of SE OK is under the gun with their lush rainforests.

C OK could still see a few elevated showers or storms come up across the area later this afternoon, but nothing too significant is expected.

Still looking like several good chances of widespread rain across Oklahoma through next week. We need all we can get before summer really cranks up the heat

Thread Information