Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: May 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: May 2022 - General Weather Discussion

It wasn't necessarily rare, it was just the position/track of the low wasn't as traditional as it has been as of late.

Instead of a low ejecting from CO>KS/NE. We had a low eject from NM>TXPH

The result was everything was shifted further south.

Triple point was in TXPH/W OK instead of KS; the isolated dryline action was located down across NW/W TX

The warmfront nosing up from the S was happening across S/C OK instead of KS.

For example, take this map from just earlier this year and shift everything down to the SW over TX/OK and you bring the same results with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    I was going to ask about yesterday's set up with our group of part-time mets on here: So I don't feel as though I have seen a set-up like we saw yesterday in the 12 years I have lived here--with this warm front stalling and then tornadic storm after tornadic storm training over the same area with little relief for several hours! I feel like most of the time the storms fire along the dry line and then move through and we're basically done because some particular element changes and the dynamics just aren't present anymore for tornadic storms. Was this set-up unusual or rare? Kind of seemed like nightmare scenario which we don't see much. Please correct me if I am wrong, but it seemed unique. Was just wanting a bit of perspective on yesterday with those more experience than me both with the science and just plain living here.
    Perhaps a bit unusual, but not out of the question. I'm reminded of the May 31, 2013 storms that kept generating right around the same area west of El Reno, training multiple waves of tornadic thunderstorms and torrential downpours through the Metro.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Perhaps a bit unusual, but not out of the question. I'm reminded of the May 31, 2013 storms that kept generating right around the same area west of El Reno, training multiple waves of tornadic thunderstorms and torrential downpours through the Metro.
    I was similarly reminded of 05/06/2015.

Ugh, we got some pretty large hail in our neighborhood in north okc. Looking like egg sized to potentially baseball sized hail. New roof time…for the second time in 5 years.

5. Default Re: May 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    Ugh, we got some pretty large hail in our neighborhood in north okc. Looking like egg sized to potentially baseball sized hail. New roof time…for the second time in 5 years.
    What I got here was mostly dime size with a few nickel size. But lots of it for about 10 minutes.

Tomorrow (Friday) will probably be one of the best weather days of the year. Saturday south winds pick back up and it gets a little warm. Sunday and Monday we get steamed cooked.

7. Default Re: May 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Tomorrow (Friday) will probably be one of the best weather days of the year. Saturday south winds pick back up and it gets a little warm. Sunday and Monday we get steamed cooked.

Glad I'm off. Might take the Miata on a cruise.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    The west half of Stillwater was spared from golf ball sized hail or bigger with much of it spiked. That means the OSU campus was also spared. But much of the east half of town got well pounded by it. I might have missed one or two bad hail storms, but Thursday's hail storm was most certainly the worst I've had since 2009. So well before the hail melted that same day. I got a visit from two people from a roofing company in Sapulpa, Heartland Roofing and Construction, wanting to get on my roof and inspect it for hail damage free of charge. I took advantage of it. He said I had hail damage and may want to contact my insurance company. I've heard it's better to wait for the sun to shine on the roof for a week to make damage more visible, so I will wait before deciding whether or not to contact my insurance company. The guy said my insurance rate would likely go up, though, if I did. He said my insurance company, North Star, was a good one, though.

After several hot days it looks like rain/storm chances return the weekend of the 14th

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    After several hot days it looks like rain/storm chances return the weekend of the 14th
    Until then: from the NWS forecast discussion “ A mid-Spring heat dome will build over the southern plains into the middle of next week.’’ Yes, bring on the heat dome! I hope we get one of these this summer that lasts for a long time.

Oh God please NO!

HangryHippo Guest

Heat dome can go straight to hell.

Yeah the spring heat dome (and summer one for that matter) can just straight up F off. Give me a rainy cool summer all day!

would be nice to have a mild summer given the price of energy.

The heat was so nice today! Hopefully, summer is here early.

Quote Originally Posted by brunnesa View Post
    The heat was so nice today! Hopefully, summer is here early.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by midtownokcer View Post
    No.
    Yes.

Looks like severe weather is done for a while. Is Tornado alley shifting east. I know pretty much all the tv meteorologist no but evidence is growing that it is. https://www.accuweather.com/en/sever...he%20Southwest

“Tornado ally” wobbles around. Over the last several years, it has really been concentrated to the southeast, but it will move around.

The increased heat is really concerning right now. I’m hoping we can return back to normal temps soon, but this feels like a very unusual year. Tons of wind. Not many rain chances. High heat. Could be a rough summer if the trend continues.

Both can exist. Some call it Dixie Alley when referencing the increased number of tornados across the Gulf coast states.

I would say traditional tornado alley has definitely shifted E some. (like E OK, rather than W-C OK. This can be seen just with the drought conditions. W OK into the TX PH is basically desert now.

Both can exist. Some call it Dixie Alley when referencing the increased number of tornados across the Gulf coast states.

I would say traditional tornado alley has definitely shifted E some. (like E OK, rather than W-C OK. This can be seen just with the drought conditions. W OK into the TX PH is basically desert now.
    And eastern OK has had one of wettest springs on record. The flooding on the Illinois River nearly reached record high levels last week and Grand Lake is currently seeing near-record levels. Another week like last week and the flooding would’ve been catastrophic.

Trends are going up for rain/storms over OK this weekend and another stronger storm the following weekend. This is the time of the year when we typically start to see MCS out of eastern CO/western KS impact OK

A few models flirting with the idea of a cluster of storms coming out from the TX PH and making a run into OK. All signs point to most of the storms dying before reaching C OK.

Some parts of extreme W/SW OK got 1-1.5" of rain last night. That is HALF of their total rainfall in the last 6 months!

24. Default Re: May 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Some parts of extreme W/SW OK got 1-1.5" of rain last night. That is HALF of their total rainfall in the last 6 months!
    Great news. Very grateful.

7 day forecast is full of low- to mid-90’s. These temps are just awful for this time of year. Going to be a crap summer at this rate.

Thread Information