Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: May 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: May 2022 - General Weather Discussion

If you tune to Channel 9, you'll see they are in the middle of rescuing a woman who was down in the Deep Fork drainage channel right where it crosses under I-44 and the frontage road, just to the west of Penn.

My house backs up to that channel and it's about 15' deep and on typical days, there is just a trickle of water. But when we get these thunderstorms, it becomes like white water rapids nearing the top and flowing at a very rapid rate.

I've seen a washer get swept away and it's one of many areas where the homeless camp.

I believe a homeless person was killed a few years ago due to the raging water, which can come up very fast.

The woman has now been safely removed by the rescue team.

I have absolutely no idea how anyone knew she was done there and perched on a high spot of concrete while the water was rushing by, right at her feet.

I walk right past there frequently and there are no homes or businesses that could see that spot; maybe she was visible from passing traffic on the frontage road.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The woman has now been safely removed by the rescue team.

I have absolutely no idea how anyone knew she was done there and perched on a high spot of concrete while the water was rushing by, right at her feet.

I walk right past there frequently and there are no homes or businesses that could see that spot; maybe she was visible from passing traffic on the frontage road.
    Reported she called 911.

4. Default Re: May 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Multiple rounds of storms and some models are predicting more than half a foot of rain for some areas.
    That's about what I need to add 14' of water to my pond near the Arbuckles.... Just hope it comes in the evening because I'm scheduled to pickup tilapia to stock in my pond at 9 AM and a slippery wet shoreline is going to make it treacherous.

Any idea when some of this stuff will start hitting the metro? Just wanna make sure I’m out of the office and back home before it gets ugly.

OKC impacts probably around 7pm.

Models are still showing that warm front really making a push to the north. I assume that the SPC is going to release a balloon around lunch? I’m still doubting how far north that front gets but I have no data to support that feeling. More of a gut feeling at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    Models are still showing that warm front really making a push to the north. I assume that the SPC is going to release a balloon around lunch? I’m still doubting how far north that front gets but I have no data to support that feeling. More of a gut feeling at this point.
    There was a donut hole of clearing over Canadian and Kingfisher county with some more sustained clearing approaching from the west. Warm front may start moving north again soon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temp1118.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	17434

The last couple of HRRR runs (which I am starting to give more credence to now that the initialization looks better) show an ominous setup with a large supercell forming in the Woodward vicinity around 2:00-3:00 before tracking over to Enid, then backbuilding and diving SSE through Kingfisher and the west OKC suburbs around 6:00-7:00 as the tail end of a potent QLCS system. Deviant storm motion like that on a day like today always makes me wary.

Appears that the 1630z SPC update has kept the same probabilities as the previous outlook.

Looks like Norman will be launching balloons at 1:00 and 4:00. Also a balloon launch in Grant County (Enid) at 1:00.

Aggravated cumulus field currently over Ellis County just east of the low pressure center will likely blossom into the main supercell that has been depicted on the last few HRRR runs.

Warm front currently located roughly from Woodward to OKC as far as I can tell. It does seems like it should be able to push north of the Metro over the next few hours so I agree with the placement of the highest tornado probabilities in northern OK. I would not be surprised to see OKC included in the 45% wind probability in the next SPC update, but we’ll see.

Already 90 in Altus. I don't think moisture return or heating are gonna be an issue today despite the storms this morning.

Per a Mesoscale Discussion from the SPC, a tornado watch will be issued for the entire Metro by 3 p.m.

Main threat for OKC still looks to be around 6-8 p.m.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Per a Mesoscale Discussion from the SPC, a tornado watch will be issued for the entire Metro by 3 p.m.

Main threat for OKC still looks to be around 6-8 p.m.
    Do we still have a weather chat like the old days?

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Do we still have a weather chat like the old days?
    If we do, it’s someone else running it. (I forget who, sorry.)

OKC radar just went down. Not the best timing on that.

17. Default Re: May 2022 - General Weather Discussion

We need an OKC Talk Weather Discord server!

First cell of the day initiating right over Woodward, just as modeled.

Tornado watch out, 90/70 probs, very close to the PDS threshold https://twitter.com/JimCantore/statu...03527368032261

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    We need an OKC Talk Weather Discord server!
    I had one configured back in the day, suppose I could do it again.

If we do, it’s someone else running it. (I forget who, sorry.)
    A former member here ran a weather website and did an amazing job running nearly live weather updates here. He ran a live chat during severe weather incidents, but sadly career choices led him to move away. Anon does a great job posting updates here. A chat would be a great resource.

Storm blowing up just east of Woodward. It came up fast.

OKC radar just went down. Not the best timing on that.
    You can see radar on koco.com.

24. Default Re: May 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    A former member here ran a weather website and did an amazing job running nearly live weather updates here. He ran a live chat during severe weather incidents, but sadly career choices led him to move away. Anon does a great job posting updates here. A chat would be a great resource.
    Venture, right? He was a good one. He did a lot to make the weather threads here the best place to turn for rational, level-headed weather discussion away from the hype of the TV mets.

All storms going up so far are taking on supercell characteristics. Enid and beyond needs to be on high alert for all severe weather threats. Emphasis on hail.

EDIT: typos

Thread Information