Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S. Sooner Rd and E. I-240 Service Rd

Default S. Sooner Rd and E. I-240 Service Rd

Hello There,

Does anyone know about this planning to build or under contractions equipment bulldoze, etc. open dirt next across to street McDonald's?

Default Re: S. Sooner Rd and E. I-240 Service Rd

Quote Originally Posted by Dafonso7 View Post
    Hello There,

Does anyone know about this planning to build or under contractions equipment bulldoze, etc. open dirt next across to street McDonald's?
    I came here to ask the same thing. With the apartment complex to the east getting built, the McDonalds/gas station getting renovated, and the overpass construction finally complete, our prayers for some kind of grocery/retail/restaurant are likely to continue to go unanswered. But still curious what the plans are for that area. There is A LOT of traffic on Sooner and it seems like a good location.

Where exactly is the dirt moving?

Which numbered area or provide a detailed description.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Is this the spot you are asking about? If so, that will be parking for the hospital.

If not, where exactly?

No. The parking lot there is already a completed project.

What we are referring to is on the EAST side of Sooner Road and Just North of the MacDonalds. They are building another 4 story apartment complex further to the east and they have graded out and done preliminary dirt work to the rest of the lot.
    Its entirely possible its a continuation of the apartment complex. But that would be disappointing.

Where exactly is the dirt moving?

Which numbered area or provide a detailed description.

Its #1.
    Just WEST of 3 is the four story apartment complex.

It will be a Starbucks.

But the hard corner will be another use and permits have yet to be filed for that parcel.

Oh wow.
    OK.
    Its 2022 and I shouldn't be this excited about a Starbucks but...at least its something.
    We've been waiting for some additional development over here for years.
    As unrealistic as it is, I am still a little sad its not a grocery store.

I am guessing the hard corner parcel may eventually be fast food of some type. Thats makes the most sense.

Thank you Pete!

FYI, the parcel directly south of McDonald's (#4 in the aerial) is owned by a church.

FYI, the parcel directly south of McDonald's (#4 in the aerial) is owned by a church.
    Yes, thats been the case for quite awhile. A pastor who lives just east of #4 has held onto it for what seems like forever.
    We've been told the original plans were to build a church, and that may still be true? But we have also heard they were shopping it--but the ask has been too high.

(It looks perfectly sized for a grocery store to my untrained eye.)
    Last edited by narrowexpanded; 05-12-2022 at 09:23 AM. Reason: typo

Yes, I was wondering this as well. But looks like its going to be more than a Starbucks, because ALL that land west of the hotel/apartment complex is cleared off. Maybe a strip center?

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Yes, I was wondering this as well. But looks like its going to be more than a Starbucks, because ALL that land west of the hotel/apartment complex is cleared off. Maybe a strip center?
    I have been assuming its another apartment complex this whole time but you could be right; a hotel DOES make sense. Theres the extended stay off Sunnylane and I-240, but another hotel to service both the heart hospital and TAFB could be practical as well.
    I kept wondering to myself, "are four story apartment complexes a thing now?" lol

12. Default Re: S. Sooner Rd and E. I-240 Service Rd

Quote Originally Posted by narrowexpanded View Post
    Yes, thats been the case for quite awhile. A pastor who lives just east of #4 has held onto it for what seems like forever.
    We've been told the original plans were to build a church, and that may still be true? But we have also heard they were shopping it--but the ask has been too high.

(It looks perfectly sized for a grocery store to my untrained eye.)
    When I lived in the area, it was a great place to go fly a kite, throw a ball, etc with the kids. LOTS of flat grass land and no worries about the street or houses/etc. Every so often, im guess that pastor's church, has a big revival with big tents and games/rides/etc there for a few days. Looks like it was a fun little shindig for them.

I was dissapointed when Copper Creek or whatever it was fell through with crappy NorthStar Realty. It would have really been able to transform that area, and include a grocery store!!!! It was better, but not awesome when the neighborhood market went in just south of 44, but that's not the same as being 3 blocks away, right?

I have been assuming its another apartment complex this whole time but you could be right; a hotel DOES make sense. Theres the extended stay off Sunnylane and I-240, but another hotel to service both the heart hospital and TAFB could be practical as well.
    I kept wondering to myself, "are four story apartment complexes a thing now?" lol
    Its not a hotel. Sign nearby says "2 Bedroom apartments opening winter 2022."

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    When I lived in the area, it was a great place to go fly a kite, throw a ball, etc with the kids. LOTS of flat grass land and no worries about the street or houses/etc. Every so often, im guess that pastor's church, has a big revival with big tents and games/rides/etc there for a few days. Looks like it was a fun little shindig for them.

I was dissapointed when Copper Creek or whatever it was fell through with crappy NorthStar Realty. It would have really been able to transform that area, and include a grocery store!!!! It was better, but not awesome when the neighborhood market went in just south of 44, but that's not the same as being 3 blocks away, right?
    Yes, the reality is the Neighborhood Market near 44th and Sooner Road is going to be the closest grocery store--and it is certainly better than nothing.

But the news of a Starbucks coming there on the service road is intriguing. Just as intriguing are the additional lots to the east and west. Could be a tiny strip mall? And could be additional fast food locations--like Taco Bell? Time will tell.

its going to be an apartment complex for seniors 55 and older.

16. Default Re: S. Sooner Rd and E. I-240 Service Rd

Something larger than Starbucks is going in. They just torn up the dirt between this "hotel/apartment whatever it is" all the way to Sooner. Erosion control barriers are up all the way around. Maybe they're just prepping a larger development and Starbucks is just the first actual tenant?

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Something larger than Starbucks is going in. They just torn up the dirt between this "hotel/apartment whatever it is" all the way to Sooner. Erosion control barriers are up all the way around. Maybe they're just prepping a larger development and Starbucks is just the first actual tenant?
    Yup, thats what it looks like. The lots on both the east and west side of the proposed Starbucks are bigger than the SB lot.
    We are excited to see what eventually goes in. Assume it will be another fast food spot. Worried it will be another mini strip mall/doctors office.

They are probably just prepping the sites on either side of Starbucks for future lease/sale.

There have been no building permit applications for those two sites as yet.

The Starbucks construction has finally begun.

A portable building and 2 port-a-potties have been delivered and a fence has been erected around the perimeter. We'll be sipping' americanos in no time!

Still see no movement on the surrounding lots though.

20. Default Re: S. Sooner Rd and E. I-240 Service Rd

We'll be sipping' americanos in no time!
    Drive a couple of miles north and get one at Jitters.

Starbucks is fairly close to being ready to open, it looks like.

Which begs the question: is anything else planned for this area? Living here, I hate that the only food options are McDonalds and a very, VERY slow Popeyes.

Pretty wild that between Tinker and Boeing that no restaurants have gone in nearby... anything north on Sooner or 29th is a clown show.

23. Default Re: S. Sooner Rd and E. I-240 Service Rd

Well you can blame a lot of that on Atkinson and his failed Copper Creek development on this same land. North Star Real Estate failed to develop it (like they fail every project they touch) and ended up having the place sit empty and unused.

That development had a grocery store, an Olive Garden (hate it or keep it, but it was a real restaurant) as well as plenty of other shops. They claimed the downturn in the economy for stopping the project, but during that same time, Wal Mart opened their neighborhood market 2 miles up the road, MWC continued to develop 29th and then did the whole Sooner Rose work on 15th. Moore continues to develop to the south. So i've never bought North Star's excuses. He's just a terrible business man trying to live in the Atkinson name shadow. All of these things would have been primed to serve all of the apartment and corporate growth that came in during the same time. But alas.

So now we're seeing little pieces being built in what will surely be a disconnected hodge podge with no connective design concept.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Starbucks is fairly close to being ready to open, it looks like.

Which begs the question: is anything else planned for this area? Living here, I hate that the only food options are McDonalds and a very, VERY slow Popeyes.
    A little birdie told me look for a late APR/early MAY opening date for the Starbucks.

You would think Mercy Hospital would drive more development on this corner. But with the new 500 acre industrial park opening up the road, might spur some more development in the area.

Thread Information