Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 13 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tulsa King

Default Tulsa King

We've talked about this elsewhere, but Taylor Sheridan (Yellowstone) is producing a scripted drama for the Paramount network called The Tulsa King starring Sylvester Stallone.

The story is about an older gangster who served time to protect mafia bosses then relocates to Tulsa after prison and starts his own mob crew. Filming has been taking place in OKC and Tulsa. Stallone has been sighted at Penn Square Mall and other places around the state.

Just saw that they will be filming at this empty saloon at 4120 Newcastle Road. Permit is for a new sign to be placed on the building throughout filming.

Tulsa King Film Site //// Not for Public Use ///Temporary Sign to be there until September for Filming Purposes only Business is not going to be open for business .

Default Re: Tulsa King

lots of this show is also being shot at the Praire Surf Studios ..

https://www.poncacitynow.com/paramou...oklahoma-city/

Been getting a lot of casting e-mails for extras for this show. I've submitted for a few, but haven't been selected. Not too surprised as I'm not a looker, but I thought at least I could be a Seedy Strip Club Patron

^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    Been getting a lot of casting e-mails for extras for this show. I've submitted for a few, but haven't been selected. Not too surprised as I'm not a looker, but I thought at least I could be a Seedy Strip Club Patron
    Comment of the day material right here!

They filmed that scene at Fancy's in Valley Brook on Tuesday.

7. Default Re: Tulsa King

That Whiskey Barrel Saloon shut down for good during the earliest days of the pandemic, but has since hosted two major shoots. Before being used for “Tulsa King” it was a location for “American Underdog - the Kurt Warner Story.” They shot there for more than a week.

Quote Originally Posted by AnguisHerba View Post
    They filmed that scene at Fancy's in Valley Brook on Tuesday.
    With only modest shame I will cop to visiting that joint in my early 20s. Suffice to say it is an ironically named establishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I think it’ll be left up to states and with many states deciding to protect abortion you may see the film industry opt for those states instead. I’m trying to keep this non political as possible to not get these posts deleted but there’s several other bills Oklahoma has passed that are just insane.
    I understand they have passed 'filming industry' bills that are very competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I don’t think it’s that simple. If that’s the case they would be based out of Oklahoma. It’s much cheaper to run a company out of Oklahoma versus Los Angeles.
    I think that falls into infrastructure and of course there's a lot history and sentimentality towards Hollywood. You're not going to uproot all of that a ton. That said, they do shoot where it's cheaper and, of course, we're seeing more things come to Oklahoma now because we're making it cheaper, so I dunno if your argument here really holds water.

Regarding the overall trend, I'm not knowledgeable of the business of running a production company or anything, but as a rando layman on the internet (which I think most of us should admit to being) I presume the bigwigs in charge of the money are generally going to be more interested in the financial aspect than the political one. Maybe the stars and directors have a preference, but if it comes down to whether they're working in a red state or not working they'll probably choose to work.

I think that falls into infrastructure and of course there's a lot history and sentimentality towards Hollywood. You're not going to uproot all of that a ton. That said, they do shoot where it's cheaper and, of course, we're seeing more things come to Oklahoma now because we're making it cheaper, so I dunno if your argument here really holds water.

Regarding the overall trend, I'm not knowledgeable of the business of running a production company or anything, but as a rando layman on the internet (which I think most of us should admit to being) I presume the bigwigs in charge of the money are generally going to be more interested in the financial aspect than the political one. Maybe the stars and directors have a preference, but if it comes down to whether they're working in a red state or not working they'll probably choose to work.
    These are good points. It’ll be interesting to see what happens.

13. Default Re: Tulsa King

Cool shot with Boston Avenue Methodist church in background.

Last night in the FNC great banking hall bar I met an actor who’d just flown in from NYC to shoot a scene in the next couple of days. She couldn’t share details due to an NDA - was even politely cagey about exactly what production she was here to work on - but was obviously excited by the opportunity, and was pretty blown away by FNC.

She was also very bullish on the Oklahoma film industry, based on what she is hearing in her world. This is a working actor who spent years in LA and who has now been working in NYC for the past 7 years, with a ton of credits including a specific scene from The Office that I remember well. It opened my eyes a bit more widely to the economic impact of this production and of film in general; I get the impression she is here for a non-recurring minor role, and for this she was spending close to a week in our city.

Likely there will be many dozens of others like her throughout the course of just this one production; checking out our city, spending money, reporting back to colleagues, friends, family. People who likely would have never seen or known our city otherwise. It’s a really cool thing that’s happening right under our noses.

Love these kind of reports^^^^^

The lady who cuts my hair is a couple of doors away from Cattlemens in the Stockyards.

She recently posted a picture of Stallone in her shop, posing in a pic of her and him. Pretty cool

Anyway, her shop is small and old timey looking, in a way, with Western type decor.

So, I wonder, if maybe he was scouting out her shop for a possible filming location.

I was in Okmulgee Thursday on business and went down a residential street and saw a filming crew in the yard of one the homes. There were several production trailers nearby.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    I was in Okmulgee Thursday on business and went down a residential street and saw a filming crew in the yard of one the homes. There were several production trailers nearby.
    That would likely be for Reservation Dogs. Season 2 is filming now.

18. Default Re: Tulsa King

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    Tulsa King rolls a pretty big team I think. As in, you’d probably not be describing it as “several.”

Yeah, almost certainly Reservation Dogs. To my very surface level knowledge, Tulsa King did some shoots around Tulsa in the beginning but it seems like since then most of it has been in OKC despite the name. The stuff I get for Reservation Dogs is sticking closer to the Tulsa area.

This is all really cool. Growing up, I can maybe remember 2-3 decent sized productions being filmed here (Twister probably being the biggest). Just off the top of my head, I can make 3-4 major productions being filmed in the state over the last 8-12 months. Those film incentives appear to be paying off.

Yeah, almost certainly Reservation Dogs. To my very surface level knowledge, Tulsa King did some shoots around Tulsa in the beginning but it seems like since then most of it has been in OKC despite the name. The stuff I get for Reservation Dogs is sticking closer to the Tulsa area.
    I think they’ve probably spent a total of about a week to a week and a half in both cities so far.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I think they’ve probably spent a total of about a week to a week and a half in both cities so far.
    All I have visibility on is casting calls for extras and stand-ins, but based on just that your estimate feels way off. They spent basically all of April shooting in OKC and are continuing in May. There might be stuff going on concurrently in Tulsa. I thought I was getting calls for both locations, but I'm not see any for Tulsa so maybe not. Either way, at best they've spent more than 1.5 weeks in each location and potentially much more in OKC compared to Tulsa.

Not that it matters I guess. I just wanted to establish where my info was coming from and what I was seeing.

I believe they are doing all their soundstage work in OKC at Prairie Surf.

For most productions, the large majority of filming is done on a sound stage. Even the interior scenes that look like location shots are usually sets on an enclosed stage.

As an example, almost all of The Shining was shot inside a sound stage. Productions are masterful in how they fool the eye.

All I have visibility on is casting calls for extras and stand-ins, but based on just that your estimate feels way off. They spent basically all of April shooting in OKC and are continuing in May. There might be stuff going on concurrently in Tulsa. I thought I was getting calls for both locations, but I'm not see any for Tulsa so maybe not. Either way, at best they've spent more than 1.5 weeks in each location and potentially much more in OKC compared to Tulsa.

Not that it matters I guess. I just wanted to establish where my info was coming from and what I was seeing.
    that makes sense. I was just basing it on the outdoor filming I’ve seen in both locations.

They are shooting a ton in The Farmer’s Market District. Stallone passed me today in a black Escalade by the flower market. They have completely renovated the gas station on the corner to shoot scenes there as a permanent set.

Thread Information