Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Tulsa King

Default Re: Tulsa King

Well heck that's disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Speculation...

-Did the Film/TV Tax Credit run out/was not offered for Season 2 of Tulsa King?
    -Given the size of the production, did Oklahoma have enough people behind the scenes to help support the shooting schedule, or did support production staff have to be brought in from out of state, this could get costly as this was multiple episodes shot over multiple weeks/months?
    -Did someone on the crew or cast simply not like downtime in Oklahoma, the weather, the politics, access to certain services, etc?

The closest similarity I can think of for Tulsa King would be something like AMC Breaking Bad's first season in ABQ. One thing that help the show stand out was all of the on site locations and topography that New Mexico offered. Luckily for them, additional seasons continued (And Better Call Saul) to be shot in and around Albuquerque.
    I could totally understand, after last summer's heat, not wanting to return to OKC during the hottest months. If I had a choice to be somewhere else when it's 100 degrees for weeks on end I'd take it, too.

Hopefully it's not a beacon that the entertainment business in OK is over just as it was getting started.

The incentives did not expire; Tulsa King merely didn't apply for them for the next year.

As far as the weather, there is tons of filming in Texas which is every bit as hot or hotter.

This is a huge loss for OKC and a black eye on our burgeoning movie/TV industry.

I don’t think you realize how hot it is in Georgia in the summer and there are tons of film production going on there. I guarantee you that the heat index is higher there than in OKC.

Anyone find out which ranch they filmed the scenes with dana delaney's character?

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    I could totally understand, after last summer's heat, not wanting to return to OKC during the hottest months. If I had a choice to be somewhere else when it's 100 degrees for weeks on end I'd take it, too.

Hopefully it's not a beacon that the entertainment business in OK is over just as it was getting started.
    It's not like Tulsa King would be required to shoot in the middle of summer moving forward. You can get the same look in April-May or September as you would in July-August. Not to mention plenty of movies/shows shoot summer scenes in winter. And vice versa.

I see it as much more of a strike against Prairie Media than Oklahoma Film in general. That was far and away the biggest project they've had. And it's one and done.

It does kinda feel like Stallone's "living in hell" comment about shooting here might have alternate meanings now.

I know lots of people in the TV & film industry; I'm going to ask around and see what the TK production crew is saying behind the scenes.

I know an actress in LA (been in a couple of movies you may have heard of it and costarred on a few TV shows, etc.) who is very enthusiastic about OKC's burgeoning film scene. Hopefully this big of a production moving out isn't a backslide on that promise.

I know it's not the same thing, but wonder why the Killers of the Flower Moon shoot seemed to be relatively smooth/positive and the Tulsa King tenure was so tumultuous. Hell, a showrunner left . People obviously weren't happy. I'm interested to see what else comes out on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    I know it's not the same thing, but wonder why the Killers of the Flower Moon shoot seemed to be relatively smooth/positive and the Tulsa King tenure was so tumultuous. Hell, a showrunner left . People obviously weren't happy. I'm interested to see what else comes out on this.
    There is a big difference between a movie and TV show, the most important being TV spans years rather than just a few months.

It's why landing and keeping a big series is such a financial windfall.

Also, mainstream movies will bring almost all their crew with them. A series relies much more on local workers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    I noticed they leaned on some Yokel tropes pretty hard in the series. Maybe they split because they were going to double down? I largely thought any representation of locals as being very off. Almost to the point that they were trying to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I noticed they leaned on some Yokel tropes pretty hard in the series. Maybe they split because they were going to double down? I largely thought any representation of locals as being very off. Almost to the point that they were trying to do so.
    I didn't really get that from teh show at all but I also wasn't looking for it

This is pure speculation on my part, but they might not be doing any more episodes.

There continues to be major shakeups in streaming, and Paramount/Showtime is doing some serious budget reorganization. If Tulsa King was a weak performer under a previous regime, the Taylor Sheridan camp has decided to go all in on the Yellowstone universe, and Mr. Stallone has decided at his age and with marriage issues on the front burner...

Might be better to let it slip away

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    This is pure speculation on my part, but they might not be doing any more episodes.

There continues to be major shakeups in streaming, and Paramount/Showtime is doing some serious budget reorganization. If Tulsa King was a weak performer under a previous regime, the Taylor Sheridan camp has decided to go all in on the Yellowstone universe, and Mr. Stallone has decided at his age and with marriage issues on the front burner...

Might be better to let it slip away
    Tulsa King hasn't been a weak performer, it's gotten good ratings.

The show is definitely coming back; they announced that before the end of the first season.

It was extremely popular and drove a lot of new subscribers to Paramount+.

I know they announced renewal before the end of the season, and reported strong numbers. But, there has been a whole lot of cost containment in all streaming since it debuted. And I don't think they share how many "Tulsa King signups" have already dropped.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There is a big difference between a movie and TV show, the most important being TV spans years rather than just a few months.

It's why landing and keeping a big series is such a financial windfall.

Also, mainstream movies will bring almost all their crew with them. A series relies much more on local workers.
    The award winning Reservation Dogs will start to film season 3 in the Tulsa area next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydonesia View Post
    It's not like Tulsa King would be required to shoot in the middle of summer moving forward. You can get the same look in April-May or September as you would in July-August. Not to mention plenty of movies/shows shoot summer scenes in winter. And vice versa.

I see it as much more of a strike against Prairie Media than Oklahoma Film in general. That was far and away the biggest project they've had. And it's one and done.

It does kinda feel like Stallone's "living in hell" comment about shooting here might have alternate meanings now.
    True. I'm just saying if I could move away from OKC during the 100+ heat for extended days, I'd do it, too.

True. I'm just saying if I could move away from OKC during the 100+ heat for extended days, I'd do it, too.
    Let me know when you figure out a slick way to do this. I've been trying to figure out how to live in Minnesota every summer/fall for the past 20 years. Can't stand Oklahoma heat and wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    Let me know when you figure out a slick way to do this. I've been trying to figure out how to live in Minnesota every summer/fall for the past 20 years. Can't stand Oklahoma heat and wind.
    It just takes money, so I'll be here for countless more hot summers.

It just takes money, so I'll be here for countless more hot summers.
    I invested in a backyard pool. Best $100k I’ve ever spent

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    What company did you use? I've been looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    I find Oklahoma winters worse to put up with. For starters, driving on ice and snow isn't fun. Ever tried driving in a whiteout at night? I did. I got through it fine but told myself I would never do that again. And haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    100k seems a bit high for a pool - is inflation that bad or did you just get the best money could buy?

Quote Originally Posted by stratosphere View Post
    100k seems a bit high for a pool - is inflation that bad or did you just get the best money could buy?
    Most companies will tell you their prices start at $80K. Add anything else (water feature, landscaping, etc) and it's hard not to get up to $100K+.

Thread Information