Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 272

Thread: Tulsa King

  1. #101

    Default Re: Tulsa King

    ^

    Good catch!

    This is definitely the stockyards:


  2. #102

    Default Re: Tulsa King

    The storyline, characters, dialog and choreography are also light years behind the original show that employed this storyline, Lilyhammer.

  3. #103

    Default Re: Tulsa King

    Haven’t watched it yet but I hate sloppy writing so I am disappointed to hear the initial reviews.

  4. Default Re: Tulsa King

    The second episode was not the improvement over the pilot I expected. Writing hasn't gotten better, but I've definitely watched worse. I'll stick with it, especially since it sounds like Sly isn't crazy about multiple seasons.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,968
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Tulsa King

    Seems like b level writing and b level acting beyond Sly.

  6. #106

    Default Re: Tulsa King

    I was able to warm up to the premise in episode 2. I can’t think of many series that, upon viewing years later, the first episodes are either really good or really fit the characters personalities and story lines.

  7. #107

    Default Re: Tulsa King

    Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I was able to warm up to the premise in episode 2. I canít think of many series that, upon viewing years later, the first episodes are either really good or really fit the characters personalities and story lines.
    1. Breaking Bad pilot
    2. Bob Newhart Show pilot
    3. Arrested development pilot

  8. #108

    Default Re: Tulsa King

    Tried to find it last night but none of my kids have paramount plus. For the reviews, not sure I want to sign up for $10 month to watch it. Is there any other way to access it?

  9. #109

    Default Re: Tulsa King

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Tried to find it last night but none of my kids have paramount plus. For the reviews, not sure I want to sign up for $10 month to watch it. Is there any other way to access it?
    No, you have to subscribe to Paramount+.

  10. #110

    Default Re: Tulsa King

    Well, I mean, there are always other ways, but with this being shot in OK I think even if you're into that sort of thing and even if the show isn't the best its probably worth it to subscribe legally just to support the local film industry.

  11. #111

    Default Re: Tulsa King

    ^

    Yes, there would be a nice economic impact on OKC if Tulsa King gets picked up for some additional seasons.

    It's 77% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is higher than I would have thought. I plan to stick with it and hopefully we'll start to see some more interesting storylines. He has yet to build his crew, so that will take things in different directions.

    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/tulsa_king

  12. #112

    Default Re: Tulsa King

    Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    Well, I mean, there are always other ways, but with this being shot in OK I think even if you're into that sort of thing and even if the show isn't the best its probably worth it to subscribe legally just to support the local film industry.
    I am barely tech smart enough to figure out the legal ways....no way could figure out illegal ways. I just didn't know if could be accessed through other services like amazon prime, etc

  13. #113

    Default Re: Tulsa King

    I "think" episodes replay on Paramount Network a week later. Which is around channel 45 on Cox Cable.

  14. #114

    Default Re: Tulsa King

    Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I "think" episodes replay on Paramount Network a week later. Which is around channel 45 on Cox Cable.
    This is correct!

    I just checked the Paramount Channel on YoutubeTV and episode 2 airs Sunday 12/27, which is a week after it debuted on Paramount+.

  15. Default Re: Tulsa King

    One thing I mentioned to a friend is how dirty they did Domenick Lombardozzi, a legend, by making him wear that godawful hairpiece. The final monologue of Sly's in episode 2 was cringey, at best.

    Of course, I'll keep watching!

  16. #116

    Default Re: Tulsa King

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This is correct!

    I just checked the Paramount Channel on YoutubeTV and episode 2 airs Sunday 12/27, which is a week after it debuted on Paramount+.
    It looks like Paramount+ also offers the entire first episode of Tulsa King for free on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKnl229co6s

  17. #117

    Default Re: Tulsa King

    I agree with all the statements made thus far of the two episodes. If it wasn't for the Oklahoma homage, I would not continue watching. There has been nothing interesting to me so far. So far, it is basically just 'toughguy going around beating up people who won't call police'.

    And I cannot figure out what year it is supposed to be, there is scenes of clothing and cars from the 90s and telephone booths - then you have legal MJ, rideshare apps, and a new Lincoln Navigator?

  18. #118

    Default Re: Tulsa King

    Its pretty clearly "today". I don't recall seeing anything that I thought was obviously anachronistic. I assume any phone booths probably still exist at where ever they were filmed at rather than being installed specifically.

  19. #119

    Default Re: Tulsa King

    I've only watched the first episode so far but honestly I'm enjoying it! Yeah I think Dwight's strongarm tactics would probably not work very well in real life, too many people carry for that to be an effective tactic for very long... also some of the acting could be a *tad* better... but even so, I think the story is fun and I'm getting a kick out of recognizing shooting locations - even if they did take a few liberties with editing in stuff that's not actually there. It was kind of funny to see a Taco Bell, McDonald's, and Chili's subbed in for the used car lot across Shields from the "Western Plains" (Catalina) motel, as well as the giant billboard in front of Auto Solutions on 39th that doesn't exist in real life. I was also a little surprised to see they didn't bother to change some things like any of the signage for Auto Solutions, or the towing sign for Arrow Wrecker on the front of the nightclub that gets a semi-closeup, but I'm sure in the scheme of things those shots are so quick few would even bat an eye.

    Also did anyone happen to catch that OKC is even featured in the intro? There's a satellite view centered around Robinson and Park in downtown and you can see the First National, Robinson Renaissance, Oklahoma Tower, Leadership Square, and City Place buildings. I think it was likely pulled from Google Maps, as if you look closely you can see the streetcar line was still under construction.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    Its pretty clearly "today". I don't recall seeing anything that I thought was obviously anachronistic. I assume any phone booths probably still exist at where ever they were filmed at rather than being installed specifically.
    They did add a phone booth that wasn't there before to the west side of the old gas station serving as "The Higher Plane" in the Farmer's Market district, for what it's worth. It didn't really seem out of place to me, though if there ever was a payphone there in reality it'd be more likely to be one of the outdoor "L31" shroud-type enclosures on a pedestal instead of a full booth.

  20. #120

    Default Re: Tulsa King

    Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    They did add a phone booth that wasn't there before to the west side of the old gas station serving as "The Higher Plane" in the Farmer's Market district, for what it's worth. It didn't really seem out of place to me, though if there ever was a payphone there in reality it'd be more likely to be one of the outdoor "L31" shroud-type enclosures on a pedestal instead of a full booth.
    Well that's interesting!

  21. #121

    Default Re: Tulsa King

    After watching the first couple of episodes, the biggest problem I have with it is the film editing. They are constantly changing shot angles every few seconds which is very distracting and makes it much harder to follow what is happening.

  22. #122

    Default Re: Tulsa King

    Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    After watching the first couple of episodes, the biggest problem I have with it is the film editing. They are constantly changing shot angles every few seconds which is very distracting and makes it much harder to follow what is happening.
    In another thread we talked about attention spans of the modern content consumer recently. I think you will continue to see this trend develop. On my YT channel I have to make cuts every 4-5 seconds because if not people will exit. On my videos with longer cuts (over 10 seconds) viewership plummets. Content has to now be formatted to be digested in very small increments. Itís hard to do on longer films but quick cutting is a way to keep a viewerís mind fresh and feel like it isnít dragging on.

  23. #123

    Default Re: Tulsa King

    Catch22, What is your Youtube Channel? I wonder if this attention span dilemma is more focused towards some content areas or is very broad.

  24. #124

    Default Re: Tulsa King

    Quote Originally Posted by KHutch66 View Post
    Catch22, What is your Youtube Channel? I wonder if this attention span dilemma is more focused towards some content areas or is very broad.
    I wonít link to it. But my channel isnít huge at about 800 subscribers. I get about 3,000 views and 800 watch hours per month, so I do have a little bit of data I am commenting with. longer videos with longer cuts I get about a 20% retention, shorter videos with quick cuts I get about 35-45%. Same overall content and format, just different length of cuts. I think this experience is similar with many other channels as I notice quick cuts taking over among many different content types. I personally am not a fan of it but it is the only way to compete with Shorts and TikTok. People will lose interest after a while if thereís not a cut.

  25. #125

    Default Re: Tulsa King

    I've seen both episodes now. It's entertaining and fun to spot landmarks.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Another reason I'm glad I don't live in Tulsa..... (Tulsa Neighbors from hell)
    By BBatesokc in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-18-2016, 11:12 AM
  2. B.B. King dead at age 89
    By Achilleslastand in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-16-2015, 12:25 PM
  3. Smoothie King
    By ljbab728 in forum Restaurants & Bars
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-03-2015, 05:01 PM
  4. King Wah
    By soonerfaithful in forum Midwest City/Del City
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-09-2012, 01:23 PM
  5. King's Cake
    By Tex in forum Restaurants & Bars
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-23-2009, 03:44 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO