Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Tulsa King

Default Re: Tulsa King

^

Good catch!

This is definitely the stockyards:

The storyline, characters, dialog and choreography are also light years behind the original show that employed this storyline, Lilyhammer.

Haven’t watched it yet but I hate sloppy writing so I am disappointed to hear the initial reviews.

The second episode was not the improvement over the pilot I expected. Writing hasn't gotten better, but I've definitely watched worse. I'll stick with it, especially since it sounds like Sly isn't crazy about multiple seasons.

Blog Entries

Seems like b level writing and b level acting beyond Sly.

I was able to warm up to the premise in episode 2. I can’t think of many series that, upon viewing years later, the first episodes are either really good or really fit the characters personalities and story lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I was able to warm up to the premise in episode 2. I can’t think of many series that, upon viewing years later, the first episodes are either really good or really fit the characters personalities and story lines.
    1. Breaking Bad pilot
    2. Bob Newhart Show pilot
    3. Arrested development pilot

Tried to find it last night but none of my kids have paramount plus. For the reviews, not sure I want to sign up for $10 month to watch it. Is there any other way to access it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Tried to find it last night but none of my kids have paramount plus. For the reviews, not sure I want to sign up for $10 month to watch it. Is there any other way to access it?
    No, you have to subscribe to Paramount+.

Well, I mean, there are always other ways, but with this being shot in OK I think even if you're into that sort of thing and even if the show isn't the best its probably worth it to subscribe legally just to support the local film industry.

^

Yes, there would be a nice economic impact on OKC if Tulsa King gets picked up for some additional seasons.

It's 77% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is higher than I would have thought. I plan to stick with it and hopefully we'll start to see some more interesting storylines. He has yet to build his crew, so that will take things in different directions.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/tulsa_king

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    Well, I mean, there are always other ways, but with this being shot in OK I think even if you're into that sort of thing and even if the show isn't the best its probably worth it to subscribe legally just to support the local film industry.
    I am barely tech smart enough to figure out the legal ways....no way could figure out illegal ways. I just didn't know if could be accessed through other services like amazon prime, etc

I "think" episodes replay on Paramount Network a week later. Which is around channel 45 on Cox Cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I "think" episodes replay on Paramount Network a week later. Which is around channel 45 on Cox Cable.
    This is correct!

I just checked the Paramount Channel on YoutubeTV and episode 2 airs Sunday 12/27, which is a week after it debuted on Paramount+.

One thing I mentioned to a friend is how dirty they did Domenick Lombardozzi, a legend, by making him wear that godawful hairpiece. The final monologue of Sly's in episode 2 was cringey, at best.

Of course, I'll keep watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This is correct!

I just checked the Paramount Channel on YoutubeTV and episode 2 airs Sunday 12/27, which is a week after it debuted on Paramount+.
    It looks like Paramount+ also offers the entire first episode of Tulsa King for free on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKnl229co6s

I agree with all the statements made thus far of the two episodes. If it wasn't for the Oklahoma homage, I would not continue watching. There has been nothing interesting to me so far. So far, it is basically just 'toughguy going around beating up people who won't call police'.

And I cannot figure out what year it is supposed to be, there is scenes of clothing and cars from the 90s and telephone booths - then you have legal MJ, rideshare apps, and a new Lincoln Navigator?

Its pretty clearly "today". I don't recall seeing anything that I thought was obviously anachronistic. I assume any phone booths probably still exist at where ever they were filmed at rather than being installed specifically.

I've only watched the first episode so far but honestly I'm enjoying it! Yeah I think Dwight's strongarm tactics would probably not work very well in real life, too many people carry for that to be an effective tactic for very long... also some of the acting could be a *tad* better... but even so, I think the story is fun and I'm getting a kick out of recognizing shooting locations - even if they did take a few liberties with editing in stuff that's not actually there. It was kind of funny to see a Taco Bell, McDonald's, and Chili's subbed in for the used car lot across Shields from the "Western Plains" (Catalina) motel, as well as the giant billboard in front of Auto Solutions on 39th that doesn't exist in real life. I was also a little surprised to see they didn't bother to change some things like any of the signage for Auto Solutions, or the towing sign for Arrow Wrecker on the front of the nightclub that gets a semi-closeup, but I'm sure in the scheme of things those shots are so quick few would even bat an eye.

Also did anyone happen to catch that OKC is even featured in the intro? There's a satellite view centered around Robinson and Park in downtown and you can see the First National, Robinson Renaissance, Oklahoma Tower, Leadership Square, and City Place buildings. I think it was likely pulled from Google Maps, as if you look closely you can see the streetcar line was still under construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    Its pretty clearly "today". I don't recall seeing anything that I thought was obviously anachronistic. I assume any phone booths probably still exist at where ever they were filmed at rather than being installed specifically.
    They did add a phone booth that wasn't there before to the west side of the old gas station serving as "The Higher Plane" in the Farmer's Market district, for what it's worth. It didn't really seem out of place to me, though if there ever was a payphone there in reality it'd be more likely to be one of the outdoor "L31" shroud-type enclosures on a pedestal instead of a full booth.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    They did add a phone booth that wasn't there before to the west side of the old gas station serving as "The Higher Plane" in the Farmer's Market district, for what it's worth. It didn't really seem out of place to me, though if there ever was a payphone there in reality it'd be more likely to be one of the outdoor "L31" shroud-type enclosures on a pedestal instead of a full booth.
    Well that's interesting!

After watching the first couple of episodes, the biggest problem I have with it is the film editing. They are constantly changing shot angles every few seconds which is very distracting and makes it much harder to follow what is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    After watching the first couple of episodes, the biggest problem I have with it is the film editing. They are constantly changing shot angles every few seconds which is very distracting and makes it much harder to follow what is happening.
    In another thread we talked about attention spans of the modern content consumer recently. I think you will continue to see this trend develop. On my YT channel I have to make cuts every 4-5 seconds because if not people will exit. On my videos with longer cuts (over 10 seconds) viewership plummets. Content has to now be formatted to be digested in very small increments. It’s hard to do on longer films but quick cutting is a way to keep a viewer’s mind fresh and feel like it isn’t dragging on.

Catch22, What is your Youtube Channel? I wonder if this attention span dilemma is more focused towards some content areas or is very broad.

Quote Originally Posted by KHutch66 View Post
    Catch22, What is your Youtube Channel? I wonder if this attention span dilemma is more focused towards some content areas or is very broad.
    I won’t link to it. But my channel isn’t huge at about 800 subscribers. I get about 3,000 views and 800 watch hours per month, so I do have a little bit of data I am commenting with. longer videos with longer cuts I get about a 20% retention, shorter videos with quick cuts I get about 35-45%. Same overall content and format, just different length of cuts. I think this experience is similar with many other channels as I notice quick cuts taking over among many different content types. I personally am not a fan of it but it is the only way to compete with Shorts and TikTok. People will lose interest after a while if there’s not a cut.

25. Default Re: Tulsa King

I've seen both episodes now. It's entertaining and fun to spot landmarks.

Thread Information