Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Standard

Default The Standard

Large indoor/outdoor beer garden coming to Norman

The Community Through Beer Group (CTB) has started work on another large-scale bar and restaurant to be located in downtown Norman.

The Oklahoma City-based group is partnering with Cameron Brewer on The Standard at 315 E. Gray.

CTB recently opened The Joinery in the old Tapwerks building in Bricktown and also operates the Patriarch and 1884 in Edmond and Social Capital next to Scissortail Park.

CORD Construction has already started work and the design is by Gardner Architects.

Typical of CTB's other locations, The Standard will offer more than two dozen local beers on tap, a food menu yet to be determined, and a large indoor and outdoor space where people can gather.

Cameron Brewer told OKCTalk:

“The Standard in part pays homage to the history of the building as a Coca-Cola bottling distribution plant during the 1950s to 70s and Norman Body Works from 1978 through 2020. Both were staples in the Norman community where many memories were made. As important, The Standard has its name because we see this as a place where the definition of the community standard permeates through everything; a place where patrons can look each other in the eye and have an open dialogue about how to better the community they live in and where hugs and cheers are a regular thing.”

“When I first walked into this building and saw the original wood bow truss ceiling in near mint condition, I knew it was special and a space where people need to gather. Fast forward two years with the perfect partnership in the CTB Group and we feel we have landed upon something special. I am a believer in the city/community planning phrase “8 to 80”, where patrons 8 years old to 80 years old and everyone in between feel comfortable in an environment. The Standard will be that place.”

“Norman is where my wife and I are raising our family and where we each have siblings and in-laws. We are optimistic this will be the first in a line of projects to continue the great momentum that’s occurring in Downtown Norman.”

The Standard plans to open in the fall of this year.

Default Re: The Standard

very cool ..

Love seeing additional growth in downtown Norman

Downtown Norman is really booming; tons of great building stock.

And the area between Main Street and Campus Corner is brimming with new housing and development:

I've long been surprised that Norman doesn't have a biergarten type establishment. I live in Denton, which is very similar to Norman, and we have three really large outdoor biergartens downtown that are consistently packed. They serve as community spaces to gather. I am sure this will do well. I also love seeing downtown Norman grow. Hopefully the infill between campus and downtown will lead to more frequent walking/bicycling between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I've long been surprised that Norman doesn't have a biergarten type establishment. I live in Denton, which is very similar to Norman, and we have three really large outdoor biergartens downtown that are consistently packed. They serve as community spaces to gather. I am sure this will do well. I also love seeing downtown Norman grow. Hopefully the infill between campus and downtown will lead to more frequent walking/bicycling between the two.
    That's an excellent idea and yes Denton and Norman are very alike.

HangryHippo Guest

This. I’d love to see Norman really work to better connect Campus Corner (which seems stale lately) to Main St. via Webster.

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    This. I’d love to see Norman really work to better connect Campus Corner (which seems stale lately) to Main St. via Webster.
    By the way, the exact same problem exists in Denton between Fry Street (a smaller Campus Corner) and the Square (a larger Main Street). There are only about 5 blocks between these two urban areas, but very few people walk between them. In Denton, the path between the two is clear as they are both on Hickory Street. In Norman, it's a bit more complicated as there are several routes with Asp/Webster and Jenkins being the two most logical routes to encourage development along.

9. Default Re: The Standard

This is going to be a big hit at the 2023 Norman Music Fest. It happens right across the street.

Went to grad school in Denton and now live in Norman.

I have heard Oak Street Drafthouse was a direct inspiration for CTB’s The Patriarch in Edmond. I think The Standard will very much have the feel of East Side Social Club.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanNorman View Post
    Went to grad school in Denton and now live in Norman.

I have heard Oak Street Drafthouse was a direct inspiration for CTB’s The Patriarch in Edmond. I think The Standard will very much have the feel of East Side Social Club.
    Oh nice! The Patriarch is definitely a lot like Oak Street, but the Standard seems to have a lot nicer aesthetic than East Side. I don't say that as an insult to East Side, which is one of my favorite spots in Denton.

Oh nice! The Patriarch is definitely a lot like Oak Street, but the Standard seems to have a lot nicer aesthetic than East Side. I don't say that as an insult to East Side, which is one of my favorite spots in Denton.
    I could see that. Maybe it’s just how much I love East Side that makes me forget how “simple” it really is (also not an insult).

If they manage to get this open in time it should be a huge draw for the World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    If they manage to get this open in time it should be a huge draw for the World Cup.
    Especially since Skinny Slims seems to be dead in the water. Surprised as it looks like it could be ready at any minute.

Quote Originally Posted by mattjank View Post
    Especially since Skinny Slims seems to be dead in the water. Surprised as it looks like it could be ready at any minute.
    It's looked that way for years on end.

So incredibly strange.

Another photo of downtown Norman.

Tons of bars and restaurants along Main Street; the buildings are more full and active than anytime I can remember and it seems that trend is continuing.

17. Default Re: The Standard

Main Street did what campus corner couldn't. Now it is the the best spot in Norman for food and drinks. Plus the art walk, music festival and every holiday parade. Really a great place and very walkable.

Main Street has progressed light years compared to what it was even just five years ago. It’s a very impressive transformation that happened relatively quietly. I expect more to come.

The western gateway to downtown Norman is still rather drab with the big strip shopping center and Sprouts. Hopefully that will be improved someday

20. Default Re: The Standard

Their Social Accounts say they are starting to Hire as of today. So this will be open in the near future!

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    Their Social Accounts say they are starting to Hire as of today. So this will be open in the near future!
    This morning it looked very close to operational. The courtyard looks pretty complete, and they old chain wire fencing around the west lot and courtyard is gone and replace with nice new fencing for the courtyard. Looked like tables stacked inside ready to be placed. Hopefully it will be soon with the perfect outside weather we've been having.

The Standard opens in downtown Norman

Opening today, The Standard is a huge indoor/outdoor beer garden in downtown Norman.

Operated by Community Through Beer which has brought us The Patriarch, 1884, Social Capital and The Joinery, in addition to dozens of local beers on tap they also serve buttermilk fried chicken, burgers, sides, salads and ice cream.

They open at 4 PM today (Friday), noon on Saturday and Sunday and then start their standard business hours on Tuesday going from 11 AM to late.

Address is 315 E. Gray.

Normal hours starting at 11 am this next week?

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Normal hours starting at 11 am this next week?
    Yes, starting Tuesday 11/1.

I'm looking forward to bone in fried cbicken

Thread Information