Widgets Magazine

Thread: OU Campus Shooting

OU OU Campus Shooting

I am curious why it has taken OUPD so long to name the people involved in the shooting. I honestly believe that there is a cover up going on. Where is the transparency and why wasn't OSBI involved?

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: OU Campus Shooting

What if they’re, wait for it, investigating?

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I am curious why it has taken OUPD so long to name the people involved in the shooting. I honestly believe that there is a cover up going on. Where is the transparency and why wasn't OSBI involved?
    It was announced that Norman PD is handling the investigation.

The investigation of the shooting that occurred in Stillwater yesterday afternoon has already announced the name of the suspect and the victim. Stillwater police did an expedient job in releasing this information to the public. It shouldn't take more than two or three days for OUPD or Norman police to do the same.

You aren't part of the investigation and l doubt you are in law enforcement. I am quite certain they have their reasons so be patient and let them do their jobs. Because something happened in Stillwater has no bearing on what happens in Norman. Circumstances may be completely different.

6. Default Re: OU Campus Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    You aren't part of the investigation and l doubt you are in law enforcement. I am quite certain they have their reasons so be patient and let them do their jobs. Because something happened in Stillwater has no bearing on what happens in Norman. Circumstances may be completely different.
    Exactly. Stillwater was two easily identified guys having a fight outside a barbershop and one shot the other. The Norman shooting might or might not be chargeable as it could have been self defense depending on what really happened between the two parties. It's perfectly ok for law enforcement to not let out details until they really know what the details are.

7. Default Re: OU Campus Shooting

The case has now been closed with no charges filed. Apparently the driver lawfully felt threatened by the guy approaching his car and legally applied the "Stand Your Ground" law. In that case names don't need to be released because the public really doesn't need to know. I carry and if someone approached my car with obvious violent intentions he would meet a similar end. And I, as I would have abided by the law, would not want my name plastered all over news media.

Even if the shooter was in the right and no charges filed, the name of the victim should have been publicly released by the Norman police PIO. I have viewed the television reports from KOCO and KWTV and to me the OUPD / Norman PD investigation was not professional to the victim's family and the PIO needs to do a better job communicating with OU students and the public. The victim's family shouldn't have to go to the media to announce that their loved one was the victim of homicide. That should be the job of the PIO. Trust in the OUPD and Norman PD has been publicly tarnished and OUPD/Norman police should be ashamed in the way they handled this investigation. There is no shame in handing the investigation over to OSBI.

I knew the victim. He was not a violent person. He was a super positive guy. There's no way this went down like the shooter says.

Thread Information