Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 12 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Citizen

Far North The Citizen

The owners of The Heritage (formerly the Journal Record Building) and the newish parking garage to the east have announced plans for a new 12-story building on the surface lot between the two structures, on the NE corner of NW 5th and Robinson.

The ground floor will have retail/restaurant space and I was told the majority of the rest of the building is already pre-leased, but I don't know the tenant. I also believe there will be a small amount of construction on the parking structure; maybe to connect it directly.

The investment group is led by Bond Payne, the founder and chairman of Heritage Trust (located in The Heritage) who is now serving as the Chief of Staff for Governor Stitt.

The land is actually owned by the OKC Industrial and Cultural Facilities Trust and the purchase and development were on the meeting agenda for that group today. I went downtown to attend and then was told the plane of Larry Nichols had been delayed and therefore a quorum could not be achieved and no official action could be taken. That still has to happen but seems to be a formality.

The project will also require approval of the Downtown Design Review Committee and then City Council. AHMM is the architect.

I should have more detailed plans and renderings soon.

The last two images were the original renderings from when the parking garage was proposed. As you can see, what is actually going to be built is much larger.

Default Re: The Citizen

Cool!

HangryHippo Guest

Awesome!

Wow, this is awesome! I love the black exterior and it should bring a bit of variety to the skyline. The top couple of floors should be visible from a few vantage points in the northern part of the city. OKC has good momentum.

It’s hard to tell for certain but from the rendering it looks like the ground floor will be a pretty good size which is always nice and it might help create a unique atmosphere on the east side of the memorial. Just from a first glance, I do like the design and am eager to see the more detailed plans. Excited to see what comes of this!

Will the Robinson Executive building be demolished?

7. Default Re: The Citizen

fantastic infill highrise project!!! LOVE IT and will create incredible density to the Robinson corridor right across from the national memorial.

I hope this type of development is the first to many more in the downtown area fringe to the CBD, particularly can't wait for the parking crator on Broadway to be similarly developed (or higher ).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

Density for the win (and death to surface lots), but hopefully they'll be able to fill it.

I suspected this was coming as they were out there doing soil sampling of the subsurface. They did 3-4 test wells.

It's been in the works for a long time.

I suppose they finally felt like they could get the needed materials.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's been in the works for a long time.

I suppose they finally felt like they could get the needed materials.
    this is such a home run and also bravo to them for building the garage in a way that made this project possible

Press release:

NEW MULTI-STORY BUILDING ANNOUNCED IN DOWNTOWN OKLAHOMA CITY
    Led by JRB Citizen LLC, the $65 million Citizen building will continue the mission to invest in and develop new projects that complement the Memorial neighborhood

Oklahoma City, Okla. (April 12, 2022) – JRB Citizen LLC (JRB Citizen) today announced plans for a new building in downtown Oklahoma City called Citizen. With an expected groundbreaking in the Fall of 2022, the $65 million project will be a significant development downtown. The Citizen will be constructed on the undeveloped portion of land at the northeast corner of Robinson Avenue and N.W. 5th Street, and includes 12 stories with 160,000 square feet of space. This will be a commercial mixed-use office building. In addition to office space, JRB is contemplating a variety of non-office uses, including retail, restaurant and hospitality.

“I believe downtown Oklahoma City is the ideal place for us to develop our bold vision for Citizen, which will impact the community and state for generations to come,” said Bond Payne, managing partner of JRB Citizen. “This project expands upon the success of The Heritage and is the first high rise to be designed and built in Oklahoma in the post-pandemic era. It’s a unique opportunity for us to re-think how people will work and socialize in the future. We are excited about the opportunity to invest in our community.”

Payne will soon go before the Oklahoma City Industrial and Cultural Facilities Trust and request approval to exercise a purchase option negotiated with the Trust in 2015 and amended in 2017 of the undeveloped portion of land, as well as the area where The Heritage Parking Garage stands, for $1,275,000.

Additionally, Payne will request the Trust to approve the conceptual plans for the Citizen and an expansion of the garage, which will include adding 1.5 floors and increasing parking by approximately 125 spaces to accommodate the additional demand. The cost of the parking garage expansion is estimated to be $5,100,000.

A completion date for the building is tentatively set for 2024 or early 2025. The project manager for the Citizen is Genevieve Quick, Chief Integration Officer for Polis OKC Investments. Polis OKC is a Payne family entity that invests in high-quality, generational assets that positively impact the community, and will lead as the project sponsor.

“Bond’s vision for this project and the opportunity to work with this team are what attracted me to join Polis OKC Investments in 2017. Citizen echoes my experience at Old Parkland in Dallas by creating a significant development that was revitalized through thoughtful design and construction,” said Quick.

Internationally-renowned architecture firm Allford Hall Monaghan Morris (AHMM) has been hired to design the building, with the company’s Oklahoma-based team leading the project. Other notable Oklahoma City projects include Social Capital near Scissortail Park, 8th Street Market where Prairie Artisan Ales resides, Central Exchange where Parlor and Eôté are located, in addition to international projects such as Google’s Kings Cross HQ building in London.

Additional development, building, and construction support will come from Oklahoma-based Lingo Construction and Atlanta-based real estate development organization Urban Realty Partners. PreCor Ruffin will serve as the property manager.

If you are interested in learning more, please visit CitizenOKC.com.

###

About Polis OKC Investments
    Polis OKC Investments LLC is a Payne family entity that invests in high-quality, generational assets that positively impact the community.

About Allford Hall Monahan Morris
    Allford Hall Monaghan Morris is based on a firm commitment to the design of buildings of economy, elegance and delight: buildings that reflect a continuing belief in the ability of outstanding architecture to last through time; buildings whose success is defined not just by the use for which they were commissioned, but by their ability to adapt to different uses; buildings that aim to make a positive and lasting contribution to the city around them; buildings that form the backdrop to the city and the theatre of everyday life, but that can be, in themselves, extraordinary. The principal focus of the practice, therefore, has been the design of everyday buildings in the city. It is our belief that such buildings can, through intelligent design and a professional methodology, be made extraordinary.

About Urban Realty Partners
    Urban Realty Partners is an Atlanta-based real estate development organization that is committed to creating well-planned, mixed-use urban developments that enhance their neighborhoods while providing exceptional places to live, work, & play. Other notable Oklahoma City projects include The Heritage and its parking garage.

This looks great, and also destroys a parking lot! The newest Bricktown hotel is similar shape and I think two less floors and already stands out amazingly, especially at night.

Sad streetcar noises. No mention even of the streetcar at all, or include it in any renderings.

Pete is this AHMM's first high rise in Oklahoma (in the USA)?

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    Pete is this AHMM's first high rise in Oklahoma (in the USA)?
    Yes, I believe so.

with modern floorplates this has a chance to be Over 200 feet and will make a major impact on the skyline

Oh wow! I was busy yesterday and only just saw this thread, what a fantastic development. High-rise infill, on a parking lot, and such a nice looking design by AHMM too.

Blog Entries

When I look east out my mid-level Regency apartment window I'll see this and should still see a little of Heartland HQ.

Looks great. One thing that stood out was $5,100,000 to expand parking garage 125 spaces, or $40,800 per space. Wow, crazy expensive. Is that garage already at capacity?

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Looks great. One thing that stood out was $5,100,000 to expand parking garage 125 spaces, or $40,800 per space. Wow, crazy expensive. Is that garage already at capacity?
    I'm sure it isn't, but The Citizen will be 160,000 square feet and all those people have to park somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'm sure it isn't, but The Citizen will be 160,000 square feet and all those people have to park somewhere.

It is not near capacity. Our agency rents around 100 spaces there, and I’ve never seen it close to full. I park there. Maybe 1/2 full on a good day. Take our 100 out and maybe a 1/3rd full.

Quote Originally Posted by yukong View Post
    It is not near capacity. Our agency rents around 100 spaces there, and I’ve never seen it close to full. I park there. Maybe 1/2 full on a good day. Take our 100 out and maybe a 1/3rd full.
    Yeah, but Im betting The Citizen will have thousands of people working in it at max capacity

With the over-abundance of office space currently available downtown, I wonder what their thinking is for this. Maybe they know something we don't... lol

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    Yeah, but Im betting The Citizen will have thousands of people working in it at max capacity
    Probably hundreds. I think Devon supported 2,000 or so people across 48 floors at its peak usage.

Quote Originally Posted by therhett17 View Post
    With the over-abundance of office space currently available downtown, I wonder what their thinking is for this. Maybe they know something we don't... lol
    They have most of it pre-leased.

And not all of it or even most of it will necessarily be for office use.

Thread Information