Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genesis

Far North Genesis

OKC will soon get one of the first stand-alone Genesis dealerships in the country. The very first just opened last month.

This will be called Edmond Genesis, but it's actually in OKC which is great for sales tax collection.

Genesis had been selling out of the Hyundai dealership directly east and is a real comer with their cars getting generally rave reviews.

Default Re: Genesis

until 2015 it was sold as the Hyundai Genesis ..... really like the AMG brand .. as far as separation .... very cool that okc is getting this

I've driven a Hyundai Genesis for almost 13 years... one of the first models sold in the US. My next car will be a Genesis.

4. Default Re: Genesis

noice!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

can't hear the name 'genesis' without instantly thinking of this...

yes, i'm a dork.

We were in NYC in December on vacation and were wandering around the Meatpacking district when we happened upon the Genesis House. The exterior of the building was super intriguing, so we decided to check it out. Didn't know it was a special showroom for Genesis vehicles when we walked in. WOW. It was amazing. It was far more of a Korean art installation than it was a dealer showroom. A few cars here and there, but a ton of beautiful interior exhibits which were created to display the intricate attention to detail and styling of the brand itself. Everyone in our group left with high opinions of the brand and what they're trying to do. We didn't dine at their restaurant at the Genesis House but did explore the whole concept. Just super cool stuff, hard to explain.

Here's a link. Anywho, I'm amped to have a Genesis dealer in OKC. I'm considering the GV80 for our next SUV.

https://genesishouse.com/us/en/nyc/index.html

Where Lexus, Acura and Infiniti all seem to have lost their way in the last decade or so, Genesis seems to be stepping into the market they formerly held.

They remind me of Lexus in the 80s where they offered a great quality and value proposition paired with an excellent dealership experience.

The only thing lacking for Genesis has been having to go through a Hyundai dealership. Looks like that is going to change, and fast.

And both Hyundai and Kia are absolutely killing it these days. Where once the Japanese dominated, the Koreans seem to be beating them at their own game. They also seem to be a step or two ahead in the EV market.

Man, all for new business and what not, but that stretch of Kelly from 33rd to Memorial is just so awful. And this is only going to make it worse.

Other than that, zero gripes. This will be a welcome addition to that area of car dealerships.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Where Lexus, Acura and Infiniti all seem to have lost their way in the last decade or so, Genesis seems to be stepping into the market they formerly held.

They remind me of Lexus in the 80s where they offered a great quality and value proposition paired with an excellent dealership experience.

The only thing lacking for Genesis has been having to go through a Hyundai dealership. Looks like that is going to change, and fast.

And both Hyundai and Kia are absolutely killing it these days. Where once the Japanese dominated, the Koreans seem to be beating them at their own game. They also seem to be a step or two ahead in the EV market.
    no doubt hyundai has made huge strides over what it was in the 80's. while i generally agree that acura and (especially) infiniti have "lost their way", my subjective option is that lexus is still excellent quality-to-value. i will say that i've had mixed experiences with their dealers: great experiences in both tulsa and dallas but less than stellar experiences here in okc.

^

I didn't mean the quality has gone down, just that they are no longer innovative and the brief advantage they once enjoyed in the marketplace has largely vanished.

I own a Lexus now and owned one just before this car and both have been fantastic. In fact, I will have had my current car 19 (!) years this June and it still looks and runs like the day I bought it. I keep saying, "one more year and then I'll buy a new one" and then the years pass, there is nothing wrong with a car that has been paid off for 18 years, and I can't justify the expense.

However, if I was buying a car today I'd choose Genesis over Lexus, especially now that they will have dedicated dealerships.

I also really like the Kia EV6.

Kia, Hyundai and Genesis seem to be well ahead of the game in terms of EVs and that's where all the future growth will happen.

^gotcha... that makes sense.

i'm in a similar situation, but don't think i'll make it 19 years. i know i'll at least test drive a genesis when the time comes. it's a tiny detail, but the genesis models have a shifter dial instead of a lever. several other automakers have gone that route and it's a huge negative for my tastes.

totally agree on ev's... toyota/lexus largely bet on hydrogen and that seems like a dead end. they're definitely playing catch-up in the ev market. i'll also say that their ui/ux on their navigation units is more than a few years behind their competitors.

The Japanese makers in general seem well behind in terms of EVs.

Toyota was ahead of its time with the Prius but then has done very little. Nissan and Honda seem to be worse off.

Ford and GM are doing a better job with EVs than the Japanese. The new Mustang is a great start and the Chevy Bolt was somewhat groundbreaking.

I'm still a big Honda fan (my favorite car of all time was an Acura) but I would probably buy a Mazda (another Japanese company way off the EV pace; Subaru and Mistu are the same) over them if I was to buy today. At this point, I would look hardest at plug-in hybrids because I'm not willing to go way out of my way and sit and charge for half an hour or more every 200-300 miles of a road trip.

It's one of the reasons I continue to hold onto my current car. The market is moving super fast and I know in another 2-3 years the EVs and plug-in hybrids will be much more evolved.

With a PHEV, I could do 95% of my driving on electric and then be able to fall back on gas for the occasional long trip.

totally agree on the japanese manufacturers... what's crazy is that all three of those (toyota/nissan/honda) had "eco-conscious" models way ahead of any domestic manufacturer, but none of them ever took that knowledge and tried to apply it to a mainstream option... and now they're all playing catch-up.

besides range issues, my main concern with ev is longevity. i may be wrong, but i doubt any of today's batteries are going to be holding a charge 19 years from now. consumers who are used to keeping their vehicles longer will find that they are forced to replace much sooner than before.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    totally agree on the japanese manufacturers... what's crazy is that all three of those (toyota/nissan/honda) had "eco-conscious" models way ahead of any domestic manufacturer, but none of them ever took that knowledge and tried to apply it to a mainstream option... and now they're all playing catch-up.

besides range issues, my main concern with ev is longevity. i may be wrong, but i doubt any of today's batteries are going to be holding a charge 19 years from now. consumers who are used to keeping their vehicles longer will find that they are forced to replace much sooner than before.
    Supposedly, my MINI Cooper SE's battery has a life of ~20 years, it's based on some older tech (same as the BMW i3's battery). Guess we'll see in a decade or so...

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Supposedly, my MINI Cooper SE's battery has a life of ~20 years, it's based on some older tech (same as the BMW i3's battery). Guess we'll see in a decade or so...
    hopefully that holds true for you and it's not the same marketing math as a "50 year roof"

Blog Entries

Toyota just dropped their new EV. https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/12/busin...iew/index.html

NPR has a pretty good question and answer with an EV expert - a comment he made is the computer chip is the new oil, and the Taiwan is the new middle east. EV's have about 100 chips compared to 10 in a combustible engine. I tried to find the interview on their site - it just aired on radio this AM. Very interesting.

Waymo, the autonomous driving Google spinoff, is already up and running as taxis in Phoenix and San Fransisco.

We've been hearing about this for so long that somehow this is happening and few people realize it.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...ssion-12488954

They are also working on autonomous trucks and delivery vehicles. The possibilities are endless and all of a sudden, we are getting very close on many fronts.

With continued refinement -- the taxis can already recognize hand signals from police and construction zone workers -- this technology will likely result in safer roads, rather than the fear of them running amok.

There will always be the need for centralized humans to intercede in certain situations, but it's one of those technologies that is advancing very fast and we will likely see some very big shifts in the near future.

hopefully that holds true for you and it's not the same marketing math as a "50 year roof"
    Yeah, me too. But the ~20 year lifespan I posted seems to be science-based (found it on the net), not marketing-speak from the dealer or manufacturer. Here's the thread I read:

https://www.insideevsforum.com/commu...emistry.12889/

At the same time, EVs have far fewer moving parts which should result in lower maintenance and greater longevity, apart from the battery issues.

20. Default Re: Genesis

This is about the best case use for that land. Good to see

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    At the same time, EVs have far fewer moving parts which should result in lower maintenance and greater longevity, apart from the battery issues.
    Almost no standard maintenance - mine is to check the coolant and windshield washer fluid, then take it back in 2 years from now just for a check. Brake wear is going to be almost nonexistent due to regenerative braking, so no brake pads to change every whenever....

Love, love, love my 2021 Genesis GV80... had to wait a few weeks for it after deciding to purchase, but it was well worth the wait. Bought my wife a beautiful 2022 Genesis GV70 and that was one of the best gifts she's gotten in our 30-year marriage (her words).

While I'm excited for a standalone Genesis dealership, if it's connected at all to the ownership of Edmond Hyundai, I'll continuing to drive past it on my way to Automax Hyundai/Genesis of Norman. I've had the best experiences from sales (with an awesome rep I've used and referred to) to service. Every experience with the Edmond dealership has been either lacking or downright frustrating.

23. Default Re: Genesis

I'm glad to see standalone dealerships I wish Kia would move the Stinger to Genesis. The biggest complaint of people buying higher end cars from Kia or Hyundai is the dealership experience. A lot of buy here pay here finance shops that just want to check your credit. I think having a standalone dealership for Genesis across the US will help their sales.

^

The low-key and professional dealership is what drew me to Lexus.

They just make everything so easy and pleasant. I would go in often and never felt pressure to buy. With every other type of dealership, I will now only go in after making a deal on the Internet. In fact, the last car I bought (I had it simultaneously with my Lexus) was a Porsche and I never stepped foot in the dealership. I found what I wanted online, struck the deal and paid for it, then they drove the car to me.

I'm only a year into owning it, but I absolutely love my Honda Accord hybrid. ~40 mpg for my normal usage, some months I barely have to fill up at all.

Thread Information