Widgets Magazine

Thread: James Garner Avenue Extension/Roundabout

1. Default James Garner Avenue Extension/Roundabout

I saw some plans this weekend for an extension of James Garner Avenue that would take a lot of the traffic off of Flood south of Robinson. James Garner would be extended to north of Robinson (w/an overpass over Robinson just West of the RR tracks) it would continue north several hundred yards and eventually tie in to HWY 77 a little bit north of the water tower with a roundabout. I don't know how far along this project is but it would really make getting in to Norman from the north a lot easier.

Default Re: James Garner Avenue Extension/Roundabout

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    I saw some plans this weekend for an extension of James Garner Avenue that would take a lot of the traffic off of Flood south of Robinson. James Garner would be extended to north of Robinson (w/an overpass over Robinson just West of the RR tracks) it would continue north several hundred yards and eventually tie in to HWY 77 a little bit north of the water tower with a roundabout. I don't know how far along this project is but it would really make getting in to Norman from the north a lot easier.
    https://www.normanok.gov/media/14224

https://www.normanstreets.com/projec...arner-phase-ll

wait... so the city of norman is opposed to new construction that will take peoples homes, unless they are the ones doing it?

unless the traffic counts have dropped significantly from what i remember in the early 2000's, a roundabout on flood seems like a really bad idea...

based upon me driving it almost daily... they have increased, not decreased.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    wait... so the city of norman is opposed to new construction that will take peoples homes, unless they are the ones doing it?
    What homes are you refrencing? This appears to be unoccupied vacant land.

i thought there were a few that were pretty close to the tracks just west. but perhaps i am wrong.

There are no homes there any more.

I personally think it’s a good plan because there is no direct path to/from downtown (or campus) from Flood, which is the main thoroughfare for people to access those locations coming from the north. To make it work best, though, they would need to make improvements to James Garner Avenue in downtown, especially where it crosses Main Street right next to train tracks.

oh i actually think it's a really good idea. don't let me making a comment like i did, make you think anything different.

I've noticed that some are quick to paint the city with the hypocrite brush regarding E.D. .
    This charge was leveled when the CC voted to go to court in order to widen the sidewalks on Porter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I've noticed that some are quick to paint the city with the hypocrite brush regarding E.D. .
    This charge was leveled when the CC voted to go to court in order to widen the sidewalks on Porter.
    that's true, i jumped the gun on this. i just happen to be in favor of this and the turnpike. and think that while a few adjustments in route could be made on the turnpike, it will end up being great for norman.

12. Default Re: James Garner Avenue Extension/Roundabout

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    I saw some plans this weekend for an extension of James Garner Avenue that would take a lot of the traffic off of Flood south of Robinson. James Garner would be extended to north of Robinson (w/an overpass over Robinson just West of the RR tracks) it would continue north several hundred yards and eventually tie in to HWY 77 a little bit north of the water tower with a roundabout.
    Just for clarification, this section of Flood hasn't been part of US-77 since about 2009 or so. (Southbound US-77 now turns east and follows Tecumseh, then turns south on 12th Avenue SE and follows that through the east side.) This is important because it means ODOT has no influence on this project.

13. Default Re: James Garner Avenue Extension/Roundabout

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    I was just there on Sunday and I agree, my guess is it will back up traffic back into Robinson - especially on game days.

Thread Information