Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: April 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: April 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Altus hit 100F today. W OK is just desert now, change my mind.

I may be misreading this, but looking at radar, the storms that fire up just to the west start to get rolling, but as they get closer to C OK they seem to lose steam...

Yes the towers are getting destroyed as soon as they get up. CU field is also dying right now along the dryline in C OK.

Another victory for the cap! HRRR probably wishing it didn't give in to peer pressure from the other models.

I think SPC got spooked by those initial attempts to break the cap so they issued tornado watch.

Yep, threat is over for the OKC Metro as far as I can tell. Confident enough that I just finished driving over from Newcastle to Norman for the Norman Music Fest.

This was unironically one of the more interesting weather days I can remember for the OKC Metro. I’m sure it’ll come up in some research papers down the line.

Payne isn't giving up. He's still live saying storms are possible. lol

Dryline has retreated now and that's all she wrote! Still a shot at a thin line of storms swinging in from KS if they can back-build enough on the cold front boundary.

Time for social media to attack Morgan and that Tuttle guy that wants people to buy his app.

I give up with our local weather people and I'm starting to lose faith in the SPC but not there yet. It was a close call but they maybe still should of waited until a storm fully broke the cap before issuing a Tornado Watch. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    I give up with our local weather people and I'm starting to lose faith in the SPC but not there yet. It was a close call but they maybe still should of waited until a storm fully broke the cap. JMO
    Maybe they should have waited a few more minutes, but then again what's the point in watches if you know for certain? There were signs things were trending towards fully breaking. If short term models were not showing storm initiation they would have refrained from issuing watch. The watch did hint at it being a statistical coin flip.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Maybe they should have waited a few more minutes, but then again what's the point in watches if you know for certain? There were signs things were trending towards fully breaking. If short term models were not showing storm initiation they would have refrained from issuing watch. The watch did hint at it being a statistical coin flip.
    Yes but the HRRR only had 2 model runs ALL DAY that showed anything and even then it only showed 1 storm forming.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    I give up with our local weather people and I'm starting to lose faith in the SPC but not there yet. It was a close call but they maybe still should of waited until a storm fully broke the cap before issuing a Tornado Watch. JMO
    IMO, today was too risky of a day to mess around. There was just way too much instability in the atmosphere today, and if a storm took off, it could have caught a lot of people off guard. Add in the fact that it got much warmer today than the models predicted AND the observed dewpoints were higher than modeled, it only made sense to put out a tornado watch. If a storm got going, it could have caught a lot of people off guard.

Here comes the squall line from the cold front.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Here comes the squall line from the cold front.
    Strong back building from Kansas is going to definitely affect Stillwater and Guthrie with strong storms but probably not Edmond. With the line moving fast at 40-50 mph, don't expect much rain.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    IMO, today was too risky of a day to mess around. There was just way too much instability in the atmosphere today, and if a storm took off, it could have caught a lot of people off guard. Add in the fact that it got much warmer today than the models predicted AND the observed dewpoints were higher than modeled, it only made sense to put out a tornado watch. If a storm got going, it could have caught a lot of people off guard.
    I agree 100%. If anything, there have been times when I thought the SPC was too conservative in the past. Because of the speed of movement of the storms that did get started, and how close the dry line was in relation to the metro, they really couldn't afford to F around. You really need to give people in the densest population area of the state more than 20 minutes warning.

Cold front has passed through the Metro and all thunderstorm chances have ended at this time. Tomorrow will be a beautiful end to the month, before things quickly turn active again. Just started the May thread at the below link to continue the discussion on our next couple of severe weather threats.

https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=46909

Thread Information