Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: April 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: April 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    I am hating this wind. Also the extreme bi-polar temps. Both of these have been brutal this year.
    See, I thought this was one of the windiest Springs I can remember in a long time. But I didn't have the data to back up the claim. Despite visiting Mesonet multiple times/day, I only recently stumbled across the "Mesonet Ticker" which is like an analysis/blog/fun post about recent weather info. Here for reference: http://ticker.mesonet.org/

A recent post on the ticker had a historic wind speed graph. As you can see, 2022 was on of THE windiest periods in the last 15 years!!

^

Thanks for that, very interesting.

The forecast for next week looks like more of the same. Getting very old.

That was a close call last night for the Metro. Not sure why it didn't happen but I think the Cloud base might of been a little to high to get things really going.

Veer/back/veer saved us. Winds going different directions in the upper levels kept the storms from really tightening up. Definitely got lucky, those could've been really nasty.

Looking like another unsettled pattern toward the end of the week. Daily storm chances starting Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by pw405 View Post
    See, I thought this was one of the windiest Springs I can remember in a long time. But I didn't have the data to back up the claim. Despite visiting Mesonet multiple times/day, I only recently stumbled across the "Mesonet Ticker" which is like an analysis/blog/fun post about recent weather info. Here for reference: http://ticker.mesonet.org/

A recent post on the ticker had a historic wind speed graph. As you can see, 2022 was on of THE windiest periods in the last 15 years!!

I’ve seen this before and it’s pretty crazy. That being said, I feel like the highs/lows for 2022 would average out to be not all that different than the long-term average. In other words, comparing daily wind gusts with an average curve over a long time period will always look like this.

Much-needed rainfall across the state especially in the southwest. Unfortunately the west and northwest didn’t get much at all but might see better chances this week. The southeast continues to be like a rainforest.

Quote Originally Posted by pw405 View Post

2009 and 2011 were La Nina years also I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    2009 and 2011 were La Nina years also I believe.
    2011 had one of the coldest and snowiest months on record (February) and one of the hottest and driest (August).

If you want to compare the daily average wind speed, not the average maximum as above, that's also doable. Not sure why the legend didn't work, but the red line in the middle is the 2007-2022 statewide average daily wind speed. You can see that this April is pretty impressive. I don't recall 2009's winds but it was obviously a pretty strong year too. 2011's winds must have really helped dry us out heading into that drought? That was a miserable summer...

EDIT. I have a cool chart to add but I can't get it to add (from three browsers!). Make your own here: Mesonet Long-Term Averages

Nice to see the data backing up the absurdity of the wind this Spring. Last night there was almost no wind when I went outside and it was such a strange feeling after basically 20+ straight days of high wind.

N winds this morning should taper off this afternoon and into this evening. Tomorrow looks amazing as we have a wind shift happen ahead of next storm system. Winds will pick back up from the S on Wednesday and we will be back to regularly scheduled 25mph winds.

SPC outlining 15% risk of severe storms on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    If you want to compare the daily average wind speed, not the average maximum as above, that's also doable. Not sure why the legend didn't work, but the red line in the middle is the 2007-2022 statewide average daily wind speed. You can see that this April is pretty impressive. I don't recall 2009's winds but it was obviously a pretty strong year too. 2011's winds must have really helped dry us out heading into that drought? That was a miserable summer...

EDIT. I have a cool chart to add but I can't get it to add (from three browsers!). Make your own here: Mesonet Long-Term Averages
    Here is the chart from LakeEffect:

Oh brother, here we go with the May 3rd comparisons regarding Friday. Its like May 3rd is the only day in recorded history that had a major tornado. Hopefully the cap holds and we get nothing at all. All we need is to give these guys more doom fuel for the next 10 years.

Oh brother, here we go with the May 3rd comparisons regarding Friday. Its like May 3rd is the only day in recorded history that had a major tornado. Hopefully the cap holds and we get nothing at all. All we need is to give these guys more doom fuel for the next 10 years.
    What is the context of this?

FYI for anyone that doesn't remember May 3 1999 - the day started with a Slight Risk across the Plains. Then Oklahoma was upgraded to Moderate when the clouds cleared. And by storm initiation the moderate was replaced with High. It happened very fast. The significance of that day was not seen until the event was basically occurring.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post

FYI for anyone that doesn't remember May 3 1999 - the day started with a Slight Risk across the Plains. Then Oklahoma was upgraded to Moderate when the clouds cleared. And by storm initiation the moderate was replaced with High. It happened very fast. The significance of that day was not seen until the event was basically occurring.
    A certain local tv meteorologist is already making those comparisons on twitter. You can probably guess who.

Sure its fun for "weather nerds" to talk about analogs, but when your a public figure you need to be more careful with your wording since most of the public takes everything you say literally.

A certain local tv meteorologist is already making those comparisons on twitter. You can probably guess who.

Sure its fun for "weather nerds" to talk about analogs, but when your a public figure you need to be more careful with your wording since most of the public takes everything you say literally.
    To be fair, fridays setup is starting to look really interesting. A strong cap is currently expected to be in place over okc, but if the timing works out, there is a potential for strong to severe storms to develop. IMO, it could be a more favorable environment compared to this past weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post

Weather technology has improved a little bit since then too

18. Default Re: April 2022 - General Weather Discussion

What I read jn1780 as saying is no one needs to start talking comparisons to a terribly destructive storm five days ahead. If it looks like it could be a repeat of a previous storm the day before that's plenty of coverage/warning in this day and time of everyone carrying a news source in their pocket.

Friday is definitely looking like a conditional day. Kansas will probably see storms firing. Just depends on how far down the dryline that storms can break the cap.

Great seeing actual rain in the OK Panhandle into SW Kansas tonight

So how's Friday night looking? Hopefully anything that develops will clear out of here in the 6pm hour and it'll be done with, don't want to see any huge impact on NMF.

SPC is creeping Enhanced Risk into NE OK, just outside of OKC.

Surface based storm development is questionable along the dryline earlier in the afternoon. However, [elevated] storm development along the cold front later into the night looks more promising.

So once again, very nowcastesque if storms do develop or not at this time.

That was a really nice rain we had this morning and Edmond.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpEqyxi.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	714.8 KB 
ID:	17420

Good old local Mets starting the hype train. Wonder how much weather anxiety is generated by posts like this.

My in-laws just moved down here from out of state and had their first OKC met experience last week. They very quickly picked up on the hypecasting nature of Morgan and Payne. It's really too bad that scaring the public into not changing the channel is their main model.

To make matters worse, May 3rd actually could be a severe weather day. I'm sure Mike Morgan is already salivating in anticipation.

Thread Information