Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: April 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: April 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Yes right now it looks okay for the run, maybe some rain/storms late Saturday night that technically bleeds into Sunday. But the timing is hard to tell this far out.

Tornado Watch coming for E OK. Dryline has nice cumulus field W of Tulsa area. Big time hail threat.

Looks like OKC hit a new record high today with 92F.

Freaking 95 degrees in the middle of April.

Has to be close to a record.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Tornado Watch coming for E OK. Dryline has nice cumulus field W of Tulsa area. Big time hail threat.

Looks like OKC hit a new record high today with 92F.

Towers W of Tulsa got capped off. Looks like no development for there either. Maybe a cell or two fire up in extreme E OK heading into sunset.

What’s with the cap this year? Third system that has looked promising but fizzled out due to through strong cap.

Fingers crossed we get a big rain event this weekend

As I said yesterday the atmosphere had to recover and it did not. Yes there was a cap also but at 3 pm today Tulsa was still 68 degrees and mostly cloudy with a low cloud deck.

I am hating this wind. Also the extreme bi-polar temps. Both of these have been brutal this year.

This spring has been about as disappointing as a I can remember for some time. The wind, the dry air, the lack of rain, and the allergies suck this year! The only redeeming quality is the fact that it isn't below freezing anymore.

I just hope may transitions to a more active pattern with plenty of rain.

Agreed with the above. The wind has been especially bad this spring, and the drought is taking back most of C OK. South of Norman area is an exception where they are above normal due to some training thunderstorm development earlier this season.

In general, C OK is around 60-70% of normal rainfall this spring. Most of W OK is around 30%. Meanwhile E OK is on pace for a top 30 wettest springs so far.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    This spring has been about as disappointing as a I can remember for some time. The wind, the dry air, the lack of rain, and the allergies suck this year! The only redeeming quality is the fact that it isn't below freezing anymore.

I just hope may transitions to a more active pattern with plenty of rain.
    Yes my allergies have caused some inner ear infection issues this season which has been unpleasant to say the least.

Yeah I've always had fairly rough allergy and sinus issues but the last two years seem to be worse than ever before.

Things are so bad this spring that our local storm chasers are chasing tornadic storms in Kansas at the moment. Gotta get those ratings!

Saturday night, line of storms fires up directly over the middle of the state. Damaging winds is highest severe threat.

^ Yeah was going to say, finally feeling reasonably confident about OKC’s precipitation drought ending tomorrow evening. Still looks like a whole lot of nothing for Western OK, unfortunately.

Next weekend is starting to look reasonably interesting in terms of storm chances, as well.

I dunno. The Nam3km has the tiniest line of storms coming through this weekend. We may break the precipitation drought, but it won't be my much. These narrow lined-out storms systems seem somewhat unusual for this time of year.

HRRR has some pretty solid development east of roughly a Ponca City to El Reno to Lawton line tomorrow evening. This is the short-range model I tend to favor at the moment as IMO it has pretty much nailed all of our events (and non-events) over the past six weeks. We’ll see. It’s going to be a close call but I do think there’s going to be just enough lift to break the cap right around sunset tomorrow.

Did want to mention as well that the storms will likely clear out of the Metro in more than enough time for the marathon to go off Sunday Morning with no issues. Will update if that changes.

Right now I have to lean towards HRRR because it has nailed the last 2 days correctly.

HRRR seems to have changed a bit this morning and is favoring a broader area of large thunderstorms with a potential for tornadoes. It seems like there is a line of storms earlier in the day that aren’t projected to make it far enough south to zap the energy in the atmosphere like yesterday. Is that a fair assessment?

Hmm. Strong cap in place from this mornings sounding, however. That is unfortunate. Hopefully we can get enough heating today to break it. Story of the season so far.

Thunderstorms ongoing in the Tulsa metro northward this morning

Messy setup this evening as multiple rounds of thunderstorms appear possible from approximately 6 p.m. until whenever the cold front moves through overnight. A relative lack of instability should limit the potential for a more significant event, but there will be enough shear to support large hail, damaging winds, and possibly a couple of tornadoes with any storms that can stay discrete.

Tornado Watch is out. Supercells have fired up directly west of I-35. Large hail is main threat. Tornado potential is there for isolated storms.

Tornado sirens have resumed sounding in Stillwater as of 7:30 pm with tornado warning until 7:45 pm. But it looks like the worst part of the storm with big hail and possible tornado will pass just to the south and southeast. Things don't look as good for southwest OKC, including the airport area. If in OKC metro check TV stations for what is going on if you haven't already.

Tornado threat is done at this time for everyone west of Sooner Road. I don’t believe anything has actually touched down yet but I guess we’ll see. Threat is certainly still there in the near-term for the Eastern Suburbs.

Tornado threat should be done for the entire Metro at this time. There will possibly be another round of storms overnight; if this happens, would think that large hail would be the main threat from those. Still think that all storms should move out in time for the Marathon though there may still be some lingering showers. Close call on another round tomorrow afternoon but think that one should mostly stay south of the Metro. Even if it does happen, should just be some beneficial rain with minimal severe weather threat.

Thread Information