Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oxlley (formerly The Silos)

Default Re: The Silos

Here's hoping someone has plans for a pedestrian overpass. When a train is stopped on the siding, you are SOL unless you want to walk 8-10 blocks out of your way to use the Edmond Rd underpass to get back across. I can see some climbing between cars and getting injured.

It would still be a small walk (just a block or so) but I've always thought it would be great if they could build a combo pedestrian bridge from the corner just NW of the tracks and Edmond Road, and have one bridge crossing Edmond Road like they've talked about, and another one crossing to the Festival Market Place/Farmers Market area. That would tie all that area together and increase the usefulness of the houses just south of Edmond Road.

It's very, very difficult to get any such permission from the railway.

It's why plans were scrapped to extend the tunnel at Santa Fe Station into Bricktown.

Technically Edmond does have plans for a pedestrian over or under pass but that is just a goal they have set along with a passenger rail/multi modal station, a downtown lighting project, and a new city hall, Court, and parking garage. They’ve unveiled plans for the new city hall, Court, and parking garage. When that starts it’ll be nice.

They couldn’t even get their lighting project off the ground as somehow they were too ambitious and couldn’t find the funds. I don’t know where that project stands. They’ve have resubmitted for bids 2-3 times already and they keep coming in higher than they’d like.

Given OKC couldn’t even be bothered in building a connection under a railroad track I’m a bit skeptical Edmond will be able to pull it off until they move forward with their passenger rail station project. I don’t know why it’s such an issue in Oklahoma though as I’ve seen several projects out there in California that have been able to do it.

5. Default Re: The Silos

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Technically Edmond does have plans for a pedestrian over or under pass but that is just a goal they have set along with a passenger rail/multi modal station, a downtown lighting project, and a new city hall, Court, and parking garage. They’ve unveiled plans for the new city hall, Court, and parking garage. When that starts it’ll be nice.

They couldn’t even get their lighting project off the ground as somehow they were too ambitious and couldn’t find the funds. I don’t know where that project stands. They’ve have resubmitted for bids 2-3 times already and they keep coming in higher than they’d like.

Given OKC couldn’t even be bothered in building a connection under a railroad track I’m a bit skeptical Edmond will be able to pull it off until they move forward with their passenger rail station project. I don’t know why it’s such an issue in Oklahoma though as I’ve seen several projects out there in California that have been able to do it.
    Read Pete's post above yours. It's not Oklahoma. It's anywhere there is a railroad.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Read Pete's post above yours. It's not Oklahoma. It's anywhere there is a railroad.
    I already did. Not sure where any contradiction is.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    If I was designing this, I would have placed the garage along the railroad side for added sound barrier. Instead, the layout is the exact opposite. Not sure if the train still sounds horns through this area, but that would kind of suck for those east facing units.
    I know this is months later, but I was thinking the same thing until I saw the layout. If you put the parking garage next to the railroad tracks, people would have to walk from the apartments, past the parking garage to get to downtown. This does put it right next to the traintracks, but closer to the more developed area of Edmond.

Edmond has a quiet zone in this area.

From the Railyard.

Disregard… pic won’t attach.

Fixed. Added it twice but oh well.

031.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

They've framed out the first floor of the second building next to the parking garage.

Looking good! That's going to be so many new residents for the Edmond downtown area, the local restaurant scene is going to get a serious shot in the arm.

It's not going to happen but Main Street right there seriously needs a pedestrian overpass. Either that or a good, direct sidewalk to the underpass at Edmond Road.

Downtown Edmond really should do whatever upgrades are necessary to make those railroad crossings a quiet zone.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Downtown Edmond really should do whatever upgrades are necessary to make those railroad crossings a quiet zone.
    All of them are as of 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    All of them are as of 2021.
    Thanks, did not realize that. Apologies for the error.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Nice shot. It’s a nice view from the top of the parking garage as well!

19. Default Re: The Silos

IMG_4349.JPG
    IMG_4341.JPG
    IMG_4339.JPG

This already has really nice presence in Downtown Edmond. The area is entirely unrecognizable from 2 years ago before this and The Lark. What lovely progress!

When I see pictures from the top of large apartment buildings, I always wonder about the efficiency of having so many independent air conditioning units.

Quote Originally Posted by fortpatches View Post
    When I see pictures from the top of large apartment buildings, I always wonder about the efficiency of having so many independent air conditioning units.
    It's the same with hotels, even the nice ones.

There have to be economic reasons.

I assume so the electric bill is individualized to each unit.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamonjock View Post
    I assume so the electric bill is individualized to each unit.
    But that wouldn't explain hotels.

There has to be a significant advantage up front.

Thread Information