Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 29 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Panasonic Battery Plant

Default Panasonic Battery Plant

Might as well have a thread dedicated to this even though it hasn’t been decided I’m remaining positive it’ll come to the Tulsa area.

From Yahoo Business News:

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan's Panasonic Corp is looking to purchase land in the United States for a mega-factory to make a new type of electric vehicle (EV) battery for Tesla Inc, public broadcaster NHK reported on Friday.

Panasonic is looking at building the factory, to cost several billion dollars, in either Oklahoma or Kansas close to Texas, where Tesla is preparing a new EV plant, NHK reported. NHK gave no timeline for Panasonic's U.S. project.
    - https://finance.yahoo.com/news/panas...232223340.html

TW linking this article:

A Japan public broadcaster is reporting that electronics company Panasonic wants to buy land in Kansas or Oklahoma to construct a multibillion-dollar factory to supply Tesla with lithium-ion batteries.
    - https://tulsaworld.com/news/state-an...a372648c9.html

If they want to have this factory close to Tesla then Oklahoma should have this with a slam dunk unless Kansas is offering stupid incentives. Oklahoma would be wise to start planning an I-45 extension to Tulsa and make that a promise in its discussions with Panasonic.

Default Re: Panasonic Battery Plant

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Might as well have a thread dedicated to this even though it hasn’t been decided I’m remaining positive it’ll come to the Tulsa area.

From Yahoo Business News:

- https://finance.yahoo.com/news/panas...232223340.html

TW linking this article:

- https://tulsaworld.com/news/state-an...a372648c9.html

If they want to have this factory close to Tesla then Oklahoma should have this with a slam dunk unless Kansas is offering stupid incentives. Oklahoma would be wise to start planning an I-45 extension to Tulsa and make that a promise in its discussions with Panasonic.
    You mean work with Texas to plan that Extension, since it ends in Dallas? It's an almost equal amount to expand in Texas and in Oklahoma. I agree, but that would be an asinine amount of money to promise to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    You mean work with Texas to plan that Extension, since it ends in Dallas? It's an almost equal amount to expand in Texas and in Oklahoma. I agree, but that would be an asinine amount of money to promise to spend.
    Texas is mostly up to date on interstate quality so all they would really need to do is slap an interstate shield on there. Oklahoma has some segments it could probably just designate but several others that need massive upgrades.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/poli...258307028.html

@jc cougar linked to this story a couple weeks ago in another thread. I am inept about posting and linking. I hope it will work when clicked.

It provides good info about the Kansas side of the effort. Plus some insight about the Oklahoma part.

TLO rumor so take it how you will but they’re saying reports are Oklahoma has been chosen for the plant. Amazing news if so and props to Tulsa! Tulsa better brace itself to become a major boomtown or it’ll soon start seeing severe traffic congestion.

https://twitter.com/thelostogle/stat...prmVtAjRmD03OA

TLO rumor so take it how you will but they’re saying reports are Oklahoma has been chosen for the plant. Amazing news if so and props to Tulsa! Tulsa better brace itself to become a major boomtown or it’ll soon start seeing severe traffic congestion.

https://twitter.com/thelostogle/stat...prmVtAjRmD03OA
    it would be in pryor right? like google and Canoo

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Yes, at Mid-America if it chooses Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    I believe so. Lots of growth and new freeways will be needed. Very exciting stuff if it happens.

I believe so. Lots of growth and new freeways will be needed. Very exciting stuff if it happens.
    pretty decent highway access to prior as it is. 412 and 69 are both divided 4 lane highways. I think 20 is as well.

Stitt holding a press conference at 1 today to announce a "major economic development opportunity". Hmm

Press conference live now:

Ok, so seems like they are still in negotiation. Not sure if its Panasonic though. Nothing announced today, he is asking for passage of legislation for incentives to land said company.

Yeah that was a whole lot of nothing lol not sure why this justified a press release I guess to drum up excitement.

According to Stitt Oklahoma is competing with 50 other states which is more than just Kansas.

Delete

^^ yes

According to Stitt he wants the financial incentive package passed this week as the company wants to get this thing going. He also states he is looking into ways to create more Mid America type industrial parks in north, south, and west Oklahoma.

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    lol
    If he’s really trying to do that then great. It seems like every other week I read about some massive automotive plant or production factory announcing a huge project. The more options they have to locate around the state the better. Oklahoma has missed out on too much already.

Enid, Lawton, and Ardmore all need vast industrial parks.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    Enid, Lawton, and Ardmore all need vast industrial parks.
    Ardmore seems to be building up to having one around the airport thanks to the tribes.

Enid, Lawton, and even Woodward or Guymon would do well to get planning a nice industrial park. Those cities need some help.

Yeah that was a whole lot of nothing lol not sure why this justified a press release I guess to drum up excitement.

According to Stitt Oklahoma is competing with 50 other states which is more than just Kansas.
    Edit: Now that I've watched it, it seems clear this was meant to be a direct message to legislators meeting this week to pass these financial incentives and not much else. He pretty much explicitly said so.

If he’s really trying to do that then great. It seems like every other week I read about some massive automotive plant or production factory announcing a huge project. The more options they have to locate around the state the better. Oklahoma has missed out on too much already.
    Was "lol"ing at the lack of concrete announcement more than anything. Having more industrial park locations around the state would be great.

This plant being built in OK would be a game changer. I really hope it would be W of OKC,

Obviously the state has tons of cheap, open land. However, W OK is especially bleak. Imagine that entire landscape being factories, solar farms, [more] wind farms, and pumpjacks. Make Oklahoma the energy frontier.

Blog Entries

Couldn't he have just met with the legislature directly and then announced the deal when it was done?

Sure would be neat if this and Canoo start a trend of Oklahoma embracing green technology to transition away from such an O&G-reliant economy. Between this and our latent wind and solar potential, with the right leadership that could be a real way forward for the state.

25. Default Re: Panasonic Battery Plant

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    This plant being built in OK would be a game changer. I really hope it would be W of OKC,

Obviously the state has tons of cheap, open land. However, W OK is especially bleak. Imagine that entire landscape being factories, solar farms, [more] wind farms, and pumpjacks. Make Oklahoma the energy frontier.
    I could be wrong but I bet they want rail access. I don't think the rail west of OKC is operational anymore.

I don't know much about this business but I think companies are looking for flat land, not much prep work, utilities already available, good highway access and rail access (in large cases like this).

Seems for El Reno, providing a few quarter sections along I-40 would be a good investment for the future of that suburb since there isn't a great deal of land meeting the above criteria elsewhere around OKC.

Thread Information