Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Panasonic Battery Plant

Default Re: Panasonic Battery Plant

Stitt exposed again.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    It was clumsy, but theirs isn't very thoughtful. If Panasonic only hires half of what they say, they are still entitled to the whole incentive package. Oklahoma's was job-based, unlike Kansas.
    This to me seems more thought out than clumsy. I am pro-incentive but we also need to make sure the business is a good partner for the state. Not saying Panasonic wasn't, but we do need to keep that in mind for the next one.

Stitt makes things harder for himself. He says things to the effect of we are a top contender and likely to land this deal. And Panasonic says “Oklahoma? Never heard of them”. He should have just set expectations right from the start and say “Hey, Oklahomans. This is a moon shot, but we have incredible potential to land this if we can all get on the same page”

That involves bringing people together, though. Not his strong point.

Wall Street Journal reports Panasonic is in talks to build additional $4 billion battery plant and Oklahoma is front runner

Hopefully this goes through!

TOKYO—Panasonic Holdings Corp., PCRFY -0.24%▼ a supplier to electric-vehicle maker Tesla Inc., TSLA -0.35%▼ is in discussions to build an additional roughly $4 billion EV battery plant in the U.S., according to people familiar with the matter.

The Japanese company is looking at Oklahoma as the location for its new plant, though there are no guarantees that an agreement will be reached, the people said
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-s...495847?mod=mhp

Makes me wonder if this is a reaction to the climate bill, it has significant carrots in it for on-shoring the electrification supply chain and unless I am mistaken that should include battery plants.

That's extremely interesting, but I'm not holding my breath. Would be amazing to still get something after all this. I'm sure the recent bills have a big impact on this decision, plus the general tailwinds of EV adoption picking up steam no matter what the future political climate will be. I'm going to guess they still want everything we offered them though...

On my recent trip to LA I was amazed at how many Teslas were on the street. It seemed like every other car was a Tesla. I think that brand is absolutely taking a hit due to the CEO's antics, but I know I for one am still looking for an economy electric vehicle for my next car.

Quote Originally Posted by shavethewhales View Post
    That's extremely interesting, but I'm not holding my breath. Would be amazing to still get something after all this. I'm sure the recent bills have a big impact on this decision, plus the general tailwinds of EV adoption picking up steam no matter what the future political climate will be. I'm going to guess they still want everything we offered them though...

On my recent trip to LA I was amazed at how many Teslas were on the street. It seemed like every other car was a Tesla. I think that brand is absolutely taking a hit due to the CEO's antics, but I know I for one am still looking for an economy electric vehicle for my next car.
    I was in Orange County in March and thought the same thing, every other car was an EV. Lots of Tesla, also Rivian and others. Different world than Oklahoma, or the rest of the country for that matter

Quote Originally Posted by shavethewhales View Post

I believe the MINI is the cheapest one out there, starts at $30K. I love mine, but it does have some things that some could consider drawbacks (shorter range, size).

11. Default Re: Panasonic Battery Plant

Why would they do two $4 billion plants instead of one $8 billion plant?

Quote Originally Posted by formerly405Tulsan View Post
    Why would they do two $4 billion plants instead of one $8 billion plant?
    Hard to find the skilled labor for a plant that big, is my first thought.

Hard to find the skilled labor for a plant that big, is my first thought.
    That might have something to do with it, but logistics and supply chains are probably a bigger part of the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Makes me wonder if this is a reaction to the climate bill, it has significant carrots in it for on-shoring the electrification supply chain and unless I am mistaken that should include battery plants.
    Bingo, this video has a pretty good breakdown of the benefits from the climate bill that just passed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv4OvGxAL6o

Also, I doubt Kansas would offer a ton more incentive to build a 8 billion dollar plant as opposed to the 4 billion one. At least not much more than Oklahoma would offer.

So they might as well build a plant in Kansas to collect the benefits, and then build another in Oklahoma to also collect the benefits we offered them.

14,2 million cars in California. 121000 are Teslas. They have a ways to go.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    Also, I doubt Kansas would offer a ton more incentive to build a 8 billion dollar plant as opposed to the 4 billion one. At least not much more than Oklahoma would offer.

So they might as well build a plant in Kansas to collect the benefits, and then build another in Oklahoma to also collect the benefits we offered them.
    Agree %100.

Why hasn't Governor Sttit pitched Oklahoma City as a candidate for this 2nd or 3rd plant.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Agree %100.

Why hasn't Governor Sttit pitched Oklahoma City as a candidate for this 2nd or 3rd plant.
    While I'd like to see it in OKC, I'd prefer it at Mid America. Spread the development around so more of the state benefits

Blog Entries

Understand your spread on developments.

While Sttit is trying to target Canoo and the Panasonic Battery Plant as a package; Canoo moving its headquarters to Bentonville and opening facilities in Northwest Arkansas and Oklahoma--Bentonville is 30 minutes from Fayetteville (University of Arkansas).

Does Canoo have the funds without hitching its wagon to Walmart.

This whole things smells rotten.

Agree %100.

Because his Modus Operandi is to push things to Tulsa at the state's detriment. Pushing Tulsa vs. Austin was like putting Alabama vs Long Beach State in football. Put OKC against Austin, there is at least a punchers chance.

The Mid-America site is situated in a location that’s conducive for plants like that. It’s not really that deep.

Blog Entries

Because his Modus Operandi is to push things to Tulsa at the state's detriment. Pushing Tulsa vs. Austin was like putting Alabama vs Long Beach State in football. Put OKC against Austin, there is at least a punchers chance.
    Thank you, Chssooner:

OKC would have been a much better opponent vs Austin, who didn't want the plant in their back yard because it hurt
    their Silicon Valley image.

Is this the same Governor Sttit who said he was going to make Oklahoma a TOP TEN STATE in numerous categories . . .

Thank you, Chssooner:

OKC would have been a much better opponent vs Austin, who didn't want the plant in their back yard because it hurt
    their Silicon Valley image.

Is this the same Governor Sttit who said he was going to make Oklahoma a TOP TEN STATE in numerous categories . . .
    it is a top 10 state, just in every wrong metric. And a bottom 10 state in the right metrics.

it is a top 10 state, just in every wrong metric. And a bottom 10 state in the right metrics.
    +1

Thread Information