Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Panasonic Battery Plant

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: Panasonic Battery Plant

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Exactly, the hope is that by attracting these types of companies we'll have more left-leaning citizens that vote out these idiots.
    From your lips to God’s ears. These morons never cease to amaze.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    We should all hope the fact scientists are getting very close to nuclear fusion power generation will make the new power issue irrelevant.
    do you mean cold fusion?

3. Default Re: Panasonic Battery Plant

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    do you mean cold fusion?
    They are not the same thing exactly. Cold fusion would, hypothetically, take place at room temperature while the nuclear fusion processes that is being accomplished now is done at millions of degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    We really do send some insane people to represent us. They better be prepared to leave Oklahoma behind in economic opportunities if they want to keep out any company they consider woke or exercises ESG, which probably covers a large majority of Fortune 100 companies.
    If enough sane as well as smart people are willing to run for state office and then enough sane people willing to vote for them, it would sure help Oklahoma to advance. Some of the insane ones in office at the state capitol next year want to ban sales of birth control to women unless they can prove they are married. Then there is this article that had better be taken seriously:

Investment group warns that Oklahoma abortion laws could hurt business recruitment and economic development. However, Oklahoma lawmakers shrug off such concerns, saying that if there’s an economic price to pay for protecting unborn life, Oklahomans are willing to pay it.
    https://www.enidnews.com/oklahoma/in...21c727151.html

So, if Oklahoma loses the Panasonic plant, then the above likely explains why.

Contrary to what Gov. Stitt thinks, the majority of Oklahomans want abortion well regulated, not banned and out of control as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    They NEVER said they don't want Panasonic to come to Oklahoma. All they said was that the company has, in the past, gone against views most Oklahomans have (not me or you, but most in this state do have) and they hope they won't be super active in promoting said views.
    65% of Oklahomans support gay marriage. It’s important to remember that the legislature is more conservative and bigoted than the state as a whole. Unfortunately, many Oklahomans assume these legislators actually represent the state, which has fostered a learned helplessness that the state can’t support LGBTQ+ rights.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    65% of Oklahomans support gay marriage. It’s important to remember that the legislature is more conservative and bigoted than the state as a whole. Unfortunately, many Oklahomans assume these legislators actually represent the state, which has fostered a learned helplessness that the state can’t support LGBTQ+ rights.
    But our politicians ARE the face of the state. They have learned very well how to control without representing the majority. They are good at that and propagandizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    But our politicians ARE the face of the state. They have learned very well how to control without representing the majority. They are good at that and propagandizing.
    Yes, that is absolutely true, but you may have missed the reason for my comment. The poster stated that the majority of Oklahomans (not their reps) opposed LGBTQ rights. There is no question that Oklahoma does far too little to support the LGBTQ+ community, but it can result in a learned helplessness when attribute the homophobia and transphobia of the legislature to all Oklahomans. I think Oklahomans are at least a little bit better than the state "reps." It erases queer Oklahomans and all those people who support them. That was my only point.

No, the Panasonic investment is close to $1 Billion

The Kansas governor is apparently "very confident" they'll land the Panasonic plant.

Oklahoma is offering less than Kansas in incentives AND has legislators saying they aren’t interested in the “woke nonsense” that company would bring. I’d probably choose Kansas too.

its for RareEarth, will be in Stillwater. Good for Oklahoma, but seems like Governor Stitt is a proponent of bringing more business to Tulsa, OSU, and Stillwater.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Oklahoma is offering less than Kansas in incentives AND has legislators saying they aren’t interested in the “woke nonsense” that company would bring. I’d probably choose Kansas too.
    Pretty damn disgusting IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    its for RareEarth, will be in Stillwater. Good for Oklahoma, but seems like Governor Stitt is a proponent of bringing more business to Tulsa, OSU, and Stillwater.
    He is a Tulsa business man isn't he?

Also, Kansas has more people with Bachelor's Degree (33%) versus Oklahoma (26.1%). The information can be found on Google. To me this says Kansas values education more than Oklahoma. Plus, the sad part is Oklahoma has about 1 million more in population. Just my opinion, but my perception is Kansas values education more than Oklahoma and it shows Kansas has more ambition and drive with much less population. Still hoping Oklahoma wins on this economic front. It remains to be seen??

If Oklahoma loses the Panasonic plant, it will be because Panasonic has decided it can get more money in incentives from Kansas. Further, with the Canoo deal looking increasingly tenuous, that might have changed Panasonic’s calculus on being near potential EV partners. We will not lose Panasonic because we have fewer college graduates than Kansas. Additionally, if you don’t think Kansas has crazy legislators who say the exact same crap the OK legislators cited above say, you aren’t paying attention. We aren’t going to lose because a no name, irrelevant legislator (or six) say something stupid.

^With such a large population difference, I don't think you can infer as much with those percentages. Plus you have to think about how much of OK's pop is rural vs. Kansas. Barely anyone lives in rural Kansas but OK still has a lot.

We've certainly given them plenty of reasons not to come here, but we do have the population, education base, and transport facilities to make the plant work. Kansas government can be pretty bone headed and far right too. The decision will come down to some sort of internal measurement of the value of the respective incentive plans + site infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    Also, Kansas has more people with Bachelor's Degree (33%) versus Oklahoma (26.1%). The information can be found on Google. To me this says Kansas values education more than Oklahoma. Plus, the sad part is Oklahoma has about 1 million more in population. Just my opinion, but my perception is Kansas values education more than Oklahoma and it shows Kansas has more ambition and drive with much less population. Still hoping Oklahoma wins on this economic front. It remains to be seen??
    your post means that Oklahoma has more college grads then Kansas ...

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    your post means that Oklahoma has more college grads then Kansas ...
    Not sure what you’re reading in his post, but it clearly indicates Kansas has more college graduates THAN Oklahoma, which, by the way, happens to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    goodness gracious what world do you live in. i mean holy sh*t that's a galaxy brain objectively false take.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Not sure what you’re reading in his post, but it clearly indicates Kansas has more college graduates THAN Oklahoma, which, by the way, happens to be true.
    explain how 33% of 2.94MM is bigger than 26% of 3.96MM. I'll wait.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    26% of 3.96 is over a million people

33% of 2.94 is under a million people ..

quick math says that

over a million is more than under a million ..

2.9 is the Kansas pop .396 is the oklahoma pop

24. Default Re: Panasonic Battery Plant

26% of 3960000 = 0.26 × 3960000 = 1029600
    33% of 2940000 = 0.33 × 2940000 = 970200

But also shouldn't we be comparing population over 25 since children can't attain a degree?

That puts us at a pop of 686k and 26% with degree. Kansas is at 652k with 34%.

Census data on the subject:
    https://data.census.gov/cedsci/table...dePreview=true

You’re right. I apologize for misreading BoulderSooner: I was taking PB’s post to refer to proportion of college graduates rather than absolute numbers and applied only that context to BS’s post. I did that because most debates of this type focus on proportion of college graduates rather than absolute number.

Anyway, my point (opinion) stands that the number of college graduates will not be a determining factor whether we get the Panasonic plant over Kansas.

Thread Information