Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Panasonic Battery Plant

Default Re: Panasonic Battery Plant

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Why?
    Because energy production shouldn’t be for profit. It should socially funded by tax payers and ran with ensuring people having power being a human right in mind not something for profit. The lowest income group shouldn’t have to pay for energy or water at all. That’s just my opinion of course.

Sooooo Tesla service centers: BAD!

Factory to produce batteries for said Teslas: A-OK.

Makes total sense.

^^^ one word

Lobbying

It’s because of the automobile dealers association and they’re claiming banning direct sales is for the people lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    Sooooo Tesla service centers: BAD!

Factory to produce batteries for said Teslas: A-OK.

Makes total sense.
    Did I miss the uproar about Tesla Service Centers?

https://tulsaworld.com/news/state-an...home-top-story

House OKs up to $698M economic incentive package

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Martin View Post
    Did I miss the uproar about Tesla Service Centers?
    https://electrek.co/2022/04/12/tesla...cars-oklahoma/

The author of the bill has already stated the current service facilities won't have to be shut down. It just reinforces that, like many other states, Oklahoma won't allow direct sales. Hell, in Texas, they have that huge factory, and won't be able to buy them. It isn't just an Oklahoma issue.

I think it is dumb, but it isn't solely an Oklahoma problem. Connecticut has it worse than here, even.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    The state doesn't build power plants.
    True.

I believe PSO of Tulsa was the sole sponsor of the Black Fox Nuclear Power Plant near Inola, OK before the development was abandoned in 1982. The whole scenario of how that played showed glimpses of 'what was to come' of the Kerr McGee plutonium chaos behind the Karen Gay Silkwood saga in Crescent, OK.. Big money and power has always been a theme when addressing safety concerns of workers.

State Senate OK's $698M economic Incentive bill to lure large manufacturing plant to state - TulsaWorld

Should be complete on the incentive side... hopefully it's what they needed!

I read somewhere Kansas has over a billion in incentives. Would love to see a comparison. I also think the canoo facility would be priceless in all of this for Panasonic.

"Kansas State Representative John Carmichael told FOX23 that while he did not support an incentive package in his state, the legislature passed one in hopes of landing the company.

“We passed a package valued at 1.3 billion dollars. We were told that we had to get that passed before March because the company was going to make its decision before March. We were also told we had to move fast because we wanted to get our proposal passed and signed by the governor before the Oklahoma legislature came back into session,” Carmichael said.

Since then Carmichael says they have been left waiting.

“Then we heard nothing, nothing, nothing,” Carmichael said.

So good news I guess for us. https://www.fox23.com/news/oklahoma-...BMCKDBUEWHK2E/

Quote Originally Posted by formerly405Tulsan View Post
    "Kansas State Representative John Carmichael told FOX23 that while he did not support an incentive package in his state, the legislature passed one in hopes of landing the company.

“We passed a package valued at 1.3 billion dollars. We were told that we had to get that passed before March because the company was going to make its decision before March. We were also told we had to move fast because we wanted to get our proposal passed and signed by the governor before the Oklahoma legislature came back into session,” Carmichael said.

Since then Carmichael says they have been left waiting.

“Then we heard nothing, nothing, nothing,” Carmichael said.

So good news I guess for us. https://www.fox23.com/news/oklahoma-...BMCKDBUEWHK2E/
    I don't know what to make of that. Over a billion dollars is very alluring, especially compared to what the Oklahoma State Legislature has passed and Stitt will sign into law. However, it's odd that they haven't heard anything. However, considering Stitt is going to sign it, he must know something we don't. At least that's my hope!

Blog Entries

They probably have to factor in the workforce availability and other factors

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    I don't know what to make of that. Over a billion dollars is very alluring, especially compared to what the Oklahoma State Legislature has passed and Stitt will sign into law. However, it's odd that they haven't heard anything. However, considering Stitt is going to sign it, he must know something we don't. At least that's my hope!
    I have no faith in a administration that can't even provide restaurants in state lodges without controversy. The legislature should have approached this with extreme caution.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    ...The legislature should have approached this with extreme caution.
    Some Reps did, mine included (from NonDoc):

Rep. Collin Walke (D-OKC) suggested that lawmakers’ constituents may find the price tag of the new incentive program to be unpalatable.

“How am I supposed to go back to my constituents and say, ‘I gave away three-quarters of a billion dollars to a company that I don’t even know their name?’ Is that responsible?”

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Some Reps did, mine included (from NonDoc):

Rep. Collin Walke (D-OKC) suggested that lawmakers’ constituents may find the price tag of the new incentive program to be unpalatable.

“How am I supposed to go back to my constituents and say, ‘I gave away three-quarters of a billion dollars to a company that I don’t even know their name?’ Is that responsible?”
    they didn't they approved a framework that can be used more then once ..

So not just one but multiple companies we don't know the name of. That doesn't really refute his concern or need for caution.

I'm always leery of these sort of massive giveaways to billion dollar companies, especially given Wisconsin's experience with FoxConn

No the intent of this package is just one company that is more than likely Panasonic. I don’t understand the issue with the name. Many times on this website Pete has said he has intel on certain projects but isn’t at Liberty to throw a name out there.

The bills passed by the legislature will generate the hundreds of millions for Panasonic and later on when another opportunity presents itself it can be used again. Oklahoma is just a state that loves to piss and whine about what these other states have and why we can’t have it here but when it comes time to do what is needed all the sudden it’s too expensive. Yet, Kansas, was more than willing to give more than 1 billion. If that doesn’t tell you how big this thing and if a state like Kansas can do it but Oklahoma can’t, I’ve lost hope with this place.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    ...they approved a framework that can be used more then once ..
    I spoke with my rep this morning...he told me about the framework that has been setup for future use. He also said he was feeling good about Oklahoma getting this company...but he added anything could still happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    No the intent of this package is just one company that is more than likely Panasonic. I don’t understand the issue with the name. Many times on this website Pete has said he has intel on certain projects but isn’t at Liberty to throw a name out there.

The bills passed by the legislature will generate the hundreds of millions for Panasonic and later on when another opportunity presents itself it can be used again. Oklahoma is just a state that loves to piss and whine about what these other states have and why we can’t have it here but when it comes time to do what is needed all the sudden it’s too expensive. Yet, Kansas, was more than willing to give more than 1 billion. If that doesn’t tell you how big this thing and if a state like Kansas can do it but Oklahoma can’t, I’ve lost hope with this place.
    What in the world are you talking about? You acknowledge the bill passed the legislature. It's going to be signed by the governor. So it's happening! Then you immediately whine about how, for the state, "when it comes time to do what is needed all of a sudden it's too expensive." Huh?! What is the state not doing in this instance that you want it to do?

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    What in the world are you talking about? You acknowledge the bill passed the legislature. It's going to be signed by the governor. So it's happening! Then you immediately whine about how, for the state, "when it comes time to do what is needed all of a sudden it's too expensive." Huh?! What is the state not doing in this instance that you want it to do?
    I’m not whining at all. I’m point out how all of those who are whining about this and how Oklahoma has been. I’m well aware of where the bill stands and I’m very happy to see this. Hopefully this leads to Oklahoma getting more major relocations in the future and can actually become a real competitive state. This is a great thing for Oklahoma if we get it. Keep in mind Kansas offered much more.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    I think all judgment should be reserved until a decision is made (and who knows if we'll ever get the reasoning or details). It is interesting that the legislature's incentives are hundreds of millions of dollars less than those offered by Kansas, and from what I understand wasn't exactly what the Governor requested even though the additional safety rails in the bill are probably wise. I have to assume, or hope, given how late in the game we are that they knew what Panasonic was after and they crafted the offer as such vs. lowballing them by that much. There's probably more to it than simply the incentive total dollar amount. While my understanding is also that said bill could be technically applied to any company, there's no denying that there were very specific dollar amounts in there for a reason. Plenty of legislators spoke out against the bill for reasons of IMO varying validity, but they still passed by overwhelming majorities in both chambers.

Blog Entries

I’m not whining at all. I’m point out how all of those who are whining about this and how Oklahoma has been. I’m well aware of where the bill stands and I’m very happy to see this. Hopefully this leads to Oklahoma getting more major relocations in the future and can actually become a real competitive state. This is a great thing for Oklahoma if we get it. Keep in mind Kansas offered much more.
    No Kansas did not offer much more. Oklahoma has a second local piece in the TIFF that Kansas does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    No Kansas did not offer much more. Oklahoma has a second local piece in the TIFF that Kansas does not.
    Where are you seeing that? All I saw was 730 million vs. the Kansas 1.2 billion dollar offer.

HangryHippo Guest

I was surprised by the female representative’s quote that she was against the bill because “her constituents don’t want Oklahoma to change.” I’m trying to find the article where I read it, but some representatives in this state truly don’t want us competing or advancing. Luckily, at least while this is the way it is, the majority supported this.

Thread Information