Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Panasonic Battery Plant

Blog Entries

Default Re: Panasonic Battery Plant

I thought the going theory was for them to get the land Tulsa was previously offering to Telsa?

The proposed legislation for this afternoon's Joint Committee on Appropriations and Budget has finally been posted (<90 min before they meet). Summary: http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf...%20BILLSUM.PDF

If I'm understanding correctly, since this legislation is clearly written with said "mystery" company in mind, they're expecting over 4,000 new jobs with qualified capital expenditures in excess of $3.606 billion dollars and total capital expenditures of at least $4.5 billion.

With the Canoo and Mid-America Industrial Park folks at today's press conference I have to assume that is the site that is already under consideration.

Blog Entries

So you're saying NOT Panasonic?

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Couldn't he have just met with the legislature directly and then announced the deal when it was done?
    Knowing how Tesla negotiates with legislatures, the incentive deal is probably astronomical, so much so that some lawmakers have already expressed opposition. Stitt likely wants to nail his re-election campaign with a Tesla-adjacent blockbuster deal for the state so he's making sure people know who to blame if it doesn't come through.

Blog Entries

I thought the going theory was for them to get the land Tulsa was previously offering to Telsa?
    No, the Panasonic site reportedly is next to the Canoo car factory site at Mid-America Park. Mid-America is south of Pryor and a few miles north of US-412. It has rail access and is about 15 miles from port access. There's actually a small port site on the Verdigris where US-412 crosses, five or six miles SW of the Tulsa Port of Catoosa.

The proposed Tesla site is south of US-412 near Inola and is very close to that small Verdigris port, just a couple of miles. About 10 miles west of Mid-America, closer to Tulsa itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    No, the Panasonic site reportedly is next to the Canoo car factory site at Mid-America Park. Mid-America is south of Pryor and a few miles north of US-412. It has rail access and is about 15 miles from port access. There's actually a small port site on the Verdigris where US-412 crosses, five or six miles SW of the Tulsa Port of Catoosa.

The proposed Tesla site is south of US-412 near Inola and is very close to that small Verdigris port, just a couple of miles. About 10 miles west of Mid-America, closer to Tulsa itself.
    The Tesla site was inside Tulsa city limits south of 412 and east of the Creek Turnpike on property owned by the Robson family. There is another large industrial site located closer to Inola on the Verdigris where there are plans to build a new river port called the Port of Inola. This is where the Black Fox nuclear power station was supposed to be built (next to Sofidel's paper plant).

I really wish the state would revisit the idea of building a nuke power plant in that area.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    The Tesla site was inside Tulsa city limits south of 412 and east of the Creek Turnpike on property owned by the Robson family. There is another large industrial site located closer to Inola on the Verdigris where there are plans to build a new river port called the Port of Inola. This is where the Black Fox nuclear power station was supposed to be built (next to Sofidel's paper plant).
    My mistake, I thought it was the Black Fox site. They are only a few miles apart.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I really wish the state would revisit the idea of building a nuke power plant in that area.
    The state doesn't build power plants.

The state doesn't build power plants.
    They should.

Couldn't he have just met with the legislature directly and then announced the deal when it was done?
    Having a news conference moves the burden from him to legislators, in a very public manner.

CNHI News take on the proposed project:

Governor, lawmakers work to reel in ‘humongous’ economic development project - Governor, lawmakers work to reel in ‘humongous’ economic development project

I wouldn't want it, unless more efficient and safer ways have been advanced to produce nuclear energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    I wouldn't want it, unless more efficient and safer ways have been advanced to produce nuclear energy.
    You're way behind the curve on this one. Modern nuclear power plants are nothing like those built decades ago. There is no logical excuse why the US shouldn't be building dozens, maybe many more, nuclear power plants. We're going to need a LOT more electrical generation if we want to have many millions of electric cars and especially if we want to electrify everything. The power isn't going to come from wind/solar.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    You're way behind the curve on this one. Modern nuclear power plants are nothing like those built decades ago. There is no logical excuse why the US shouldn't be building dozens, maybe many more, nuclear power plants. We're going to need a LOT more electrical generation if we want to have many millions of electric cars and especially if we want to electrify everything. The power isn't going to come from wind/solar.
    this is all correct

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I could be wrong but I bet they want rail access. I don't think the rail west of OKC is operational anymore.

I don't know much about this business but I think companies are looking for flat land, not much prep work, utilities already available, good highway access and rail access (in large cases like this).

Seems for El Reno, providing a few quarter sections along I-40 would be a good investment for the future of that suburb since there isn't a great deal of land meeting the above criteria elsewhere around OKC.
    The former Rock Island line that roughly parallels I-40 heading west out of town is actually active all the way to Erick, near the state line, though a small section between Bridgeport and Weatherford (about 15 miles) is out of service due to multiple washouts. Union Pacific operates the line from their yard just east of downtown west to El Reno, where the line intersects UP's main north-south corridor, and runs several trains a week.

So, no wonder I wrote, "I wouldn't want it, unless more efficient and safer ways have been advanced to produce nuclear energy."

Rolls-Royce of UK said it can create modular mini Nuclear Reactors that could be transported on regular shipping trucks and assembled on site. Each one would be capable of powering 1 million homes each. Sounds quite efficient to me.
    https://www.reuters.com/business/bri...source=twitter

Blog Entries

We are so close on fusion power, which would be largest advance since the internet, if not the wheel. Limitless clean power with water as the fuel. The Middle East would melt down from a lack of money.

19. Default Re: Panasonic Battery Plant

Modern nuclear power plants are nothing like those built decades ago.
    Have they figured out how to shorten the half life of the radioactive spent fuel?

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Have they figured out how to shorten the half life of the radioactive spent fuel?
    That, I don't know, but I've heard they can repurpose a lot of it

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    That is a great point that proponents of nuke plants need to have an answer for when advocating for this source.

22. Default Re: Panasonic Battery Plant

They should.
    Why?

23. Default Re: Panasonic Battery Plant

We are so close on fusion power, which would be largest advance since the internet, if not the wheel. Limitless clean power with water as the fuel. The Middle East would melt down from a lack of money.
    ^^^^^^^

100%!

could have had clean energy for everyone but this dude suddenly died and his technology was stolen. Damn CIA and big oil

https://www.gaia.com/article/the-mys...er-powered-car

What would be cool if OK could setup an experimental fusion reactor and work with TU to create a nuclear engineering program like the on they have at MIT in Boston. It would take about a decade and there’s no telling if fusion would become a reality by then. Set aside a site for another reactor if/when fusion becomes self sustaining and produces energy.

Thread Information