Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MidAmerica Industrial Park

Default MidAmerica Industrial Park

Activity is starting to pick up in this area so a thread is now needed to keep track of smaller projects that don’t warrant their own thread unlike larger ones such as Canoo.

Here is the official website: https://maip.com/

Default Re: MidAmerica Industrial Park

A new global tech company will announce on Wednesday their new North American HQ. It is not the large battery factory that could potentially be located here.

A global tech company plans to make the MidAmerica Industrial Park in Pryor its new North American headquarters.

The company will invest on 100 acres there and will purchase electricity from the Grand River Dam Authority.

The firm will make the announcement official at two news conferences Wednesday: at 10 a.m. at the state Capitol in Oklahoma City and at 2:30 p.m. at the industrial park.
    https://tulsaworld.com/business/loca...7b75dcec3.html

Really interested to see what the announcement is. This seemingly came out of nowhere... there were no rumors of any sort that I saw. MAIP is slowly turning into a economic hub for the NE and the state as a whole. Potentially 1000's of jobs in the next few years. Inola and Pryor could potentially explode in population. Hope city leaders are prepared to encourage housing stocks to increase.

My dream is for the city to start planning a light rail line out east to this area... I'm probably about 30 years ahead of myself though

They would be very wise to build and operate a LRT system from downtown Tulsa to Inola, Pryor, and Claremore by 2030.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    A new global tech company will announce on Wednesday their new North American HQ. It is not the large battery factory that could potentially be located here.

https://tulsaworld.com/business/loca...7b75dcec3.html
    Looks like it is Northern Data, headquartered in Frankfurt. Can't find any data on expected number of jobs, etc.

https://twitter.com/StormeJones/stat...308228/photo/1

This sounds like a crypto mining operation.

Stitt is getting his wish, more companies in NE Oklahoma. He hasn't tried very hard to lure anything to OKC. This city is luring companies in spite of our Governor.

But this is a good get for Oklahoma, and will hopefully spur more growth in data jobs in the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    This sounds like a crypto mining operation.
    You are correct. And not without a fair amount of controversy and allegations, either.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...on-allegations

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...proves-results

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    You are correct. And not without a fair amount of controversy and allegations, either.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...on-allegations

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...proves-results
    If OK misses out on Panasonic then what a massive disappointment. It would be nice to land an actual company.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    If OK misses out on Panasonic then what a massive disappointment. It would be nice to land an actual company.
    Northern Data is an actual company. The audit proved they are legit. This is a win for Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Northern Data is an actual company. The audit proved they are legit. This is a win for Oklahoma.
    What I mean is it would be nice to have a company that wasn't accused of defrauding people like this one and Canoo.

I mean its ok, but data centers aren't really having an economic impact on the state. $270 million for the infrastructure, but only 150 jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Stitt is getting his wish, more companies in NE Oklahoma. He hasn't tried very hard to lure anything to OKC. This city is luring companies in spite of our Governor.

But this is a good get for Oklahoma, and will hopefully spur more growth in data jobs in the state.
    The NE's gain is not OKC loss. OKC is growing rapidly and hardly needs any help at the moment. Our state government has done plenty for OKC, including geenlighting the ever-expanding turnpike expansions that will benefit the OKC metro's growth (or sprawl). My understanding is that the MidAmerican location is uniquely well positioned for data centers, partly due to the reliable hydro power available. I hope to see us get more of these things so that we have some sort of tech base to work with, but as far as the growth of our metro goes it's far better to have an actual corporate presence.

Quote Originally Posted by shavethewhales View Post
    The NE's gain is not OKC loss. OKC is growing rapidly and hardly needs any help at the moment. Our state government has done plenty for OKC, including geenlighting the ever-expanding turnpike expansions that will benefit the OKC metro's growth (or sprawl). My understanding is that the MidAmerican location is uniquely well positioned for data centers, partly due to the reliable hydro power available. I hope to see us get more of these things so that we have some sort of tech base to work with, but as far as the growth of our metro goes it's far better to have an actual corporate presence.
    Battery and EV manufacturing will bring a lot more jobs. That is the hope for the NE OK industry cluster. Then the offices and R&D would be in Tulsa.

Apparently this didn't involve any incentives so that's nice.

I wonder about crypto operations. Do people really think that Crypto is the future of currency? I believe that digital currency is likely to eventually be a big thing but always figured the government will at some point either shut it down or regulate crypto out of existence and form their own digital currency.

Keep in mind, crypto needs to become more sustainable as well. It’d be nice to see more of these international companies here so we could get Frankfurt or London direct flights out of Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Do people really think that Crypto is the future of currency?
    Do people think this??? yes. are those people delusional about it??? probably. i have always seen the Crypto Market more as a digital commodity rather than a true currency.

I don't mean to sound like a conspiracy wing nut, but I think if "The System" decides Crypto is a threat "The system" will control it. Our world economic system is so interlinked today, and will only become more so. I can understand still bartering goods and services for those who live off the grid. But when tens (or hundreds) of billions try to exist outside the taxation and control of government, it will be reined in IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    Do people think this??? yes. are those people delusional about it??? probably. i have always seen the Crypto Market more as a digital commodity rather than a true currency.
    If only taking Bitcoin into account, then I think you're correct. You could probably compare it to the digital version of gold...which is extremely valuable and more often held than traded but not really used as a currency anymore. One of the thoughts out there is that another, less valuable, coin/cryptocurrency (or multiple) is more likely to be used as a digital currency at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    I mean its ok, but data centers aren't really having an economic impact on the state. $270 million for the infrastructure, but only 150 jobs.
    True but let's not look a gift horse in the mouth. Those are 150 fairly high paying tech jobs that would've gone to another state if OK hadn't been chosen. Every announcement doesn't have to be a home run to be beneficial to our economy. The singles add up over time, especially when they add jobs/facilities into economic sectors, like tech, that the state is actively trying to grow.

^ I'm sure a majority of the positions are for people who already work for the company, that will be moving to the Tulsa area to work a the facility. It would be interesting to know out of the 150 positions filled, which ones are actually new hires from Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    ^ I'm sure a majority of the positions are for people who already work for the company, that will be moving to the Tulsa area to work a the facility. It would be interesting to know out of the 150 positions filled, which ones are actually new hires from Oklahoma.
    that would be even better then hiring new from oklahoma

25. Default Re: MidAmerica Industrial Park

OK Department of Commerce email on ND https://www.okcommerce.gov/northern-...dustrial-park/

Thread Information