Widgets Magazine

Thread: Massive Amount of Debris

Default Massive Amount of Debris

With the amount of debris from The Canton as well as the Mayfair demo -I can't help but wonder where does this debris end up?? And how much of the debris might be a negative impact to landfill or water supply? Even the amount of water runoff from the fire at The Canton went down stream somewhere.

Yikes.

Default Re: Massive Amount of Debris

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    With the amount of debris from The Canton as well as the Mayfair demo -I can't help but wonder where does this debris end up?? And how much of the debris might be a negative impact to landfill or water supply? Even the amount of water runoff from the fire at The Canton went down stream somewhere.

Yikes.
    Most of it will end up in landfills. It's really not a lot. The ice storm in October, 2010 produced so much debris you could see piles of it on top of the landfill at SW 15th/Council.

There is a whole lot more trash generated by everyone in the city just on a weekly basis if not daily basis than these two sites combined.

4. Default Re: Massive Amount of Debris

And a lot of what comes from these will also eventually biodegrade. The fact that there was so much wood used in them, helps that actually. Even the metal will break down fairly quickly. Tar paper,etc. It's the plastics and other non degradable materials that are the real concern. But we make a lot of that trash every day. And most of that plastic that goes to the Big Blue, doesn't ACTUALLY get recycled. Forget anything over a 1 or 2 even thinking about it actually happening. They just get resold by the pallet 10 times before they end up in the street of a 3rd world country.

Just out of curiosity I went to the Midwest Wrecking website. Here's what they say about recycling their debris:

"Midwest Wrecking Co. LLC has a broad experience in working with general contractors and property owners in performing LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certified demolition. Midwest Wrecking Co. LLC recycles all possible materials to divert materials from going to a landfill. We recycle concrete, steel, wood, and many other materials and has been able to recycle up to 98% on projects for LEED certification. Midwest Wrecking Co. LLC is committed to helping create a green environment and is always concentrating efforts to find more ways to recycle." http://www.midwestwreckingco.com/content/about-page

Midwest wrecking is fairly serious about recycling. Also, if it is metal, they will get paid for it instead of having to pay the landfill.
    I know they bring their scrap metal to Derichebourg Recycling.

Talking about amount of debris, you should see the thousand of tons of metals being treated there instead of finishing in the landfill every month.

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post

Yikes.
    Buy a berkey filter

8. Default Re: Massive Amount of Debris

Quote Originally Posted by amocore View Post
    Midwest wrecking is fairly serious about recycling. Also, if it is metal, they will get paid for it instead of having to pay the landfill.
    I know they bring their scrap metal to Derichebourg Recycling.

Talking about amount of debris, you should see the thousand of tons of metals being treated there instead of finishing in the landfill every month.
    I take stuff there from work fairly often. Always very, very busy. And lots of semi sized loads.

Thread Information