Widgets Magazine

Thread: Grandys

1. Default Grandys

It's not exactly big news, but at least weirdly interesting. One of those chains that you never see anyone at, but they just won't seem to die, is coming back to Midwest City.

They are supposedly moving in to the old Wendy's on Air Depot next to Aldi. It would be a much smaller location than their old one (that has been 10 different things, but most recently and the most stable being the All American Diner). This is after Wendy's built their new location on 15th St in the Sooner Rose development next to the 2nd Chic-fil-A.

So if Grandy's is your kind of thing, then well, there you go.

Default Re: Grandys

Grandy's used to be really good, and I mean back in the early 1990's. The food was good, the service was good, loved the little old ladies coming by to give more rolls, place was clean and decent.

I mean, they had a great idea and a great system and executed it well. Then, later, they started to shoot themselves in the foot and execute themselves.

Typical story about many restaurant chains over the years.

3. Default Re: Grandys

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    Grandy's used to be really good, and I mean back in the early 1990's. The food was good, the service was good, loved the little old ladies coming by to give more rolls, place was clean and decent.

I mean, they had a great idea and a great system and executed it well. Then, later, they started to shoot themselves in the foot and execute themselves.

Typical story about many restaurant chains over the years.
    Their food has definitely changed. For instance. Years ago the chicken fried steak and egg breakfast biscuit was to die for. The biscuit is still good. The egg is still a real egg. But the meat used to be a real breaded patty. Now it's a breaded something that might come from Sam's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Their food has definitely changed. For instance. Years ago the chicken fried steak and egg breakfast biscuit was to die for. The biscuit is still good. The egg is still a real egg. But the meat used to be a real breaded patty. Now it's a breaded something that might come from Sam's.
    I stopped going when they changed over to turkey bacon.

They just remodeled location on S western

6. Default Re: Grandys

I didnt really mind it as a kid (but never asked for it either), it always felt like the fast-food/school cafeteria version of what you get at your Grandma's house. Chicken friend "steak" or whatever those frozen patties really are. Im pretty sure the mashed potatoes are from a box. It was never bad, i just never felt like it was so good, that I would rather go there than cook those things myself for real.

I went to Dollywood this past summer and they had a restaurant there that I would compared to Grandy's style of food. But it was done the way I think i'd wish Grandy's was done now. Real chicken fried steak (or chicken), roasted potatoes so they can't come from a box, carrots, etc. All the normal "country cooking" stuff, but feeling less like it comes on a plastic tray, if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    I didnt really mind it as a kid (but never asked for it either), it always felt like the fast-food/school cafeteria version of what you get at your Grandma's house. Chicken friend "steak" or whatever those frozen patties really are. Im pretty sure the mashed potatoes are from a box. It was never bad, i just never felt like it was so good, that I would rather go there than cook those things myself for real.

I went to Dollywood this past summer and they had a restaurant there that I would compared to Grandy's style of food. But it was done the way I think i'd wish Grandy's was done now. Real chicken fried steak (or chicken), roasted potatoes so they can't come from a box, carrots, etc. All the normal "country cooking" stuff, but feeling less like it comes on a plastic tray, if you know what I mean.
    Chicken Fried Soy

When is the expected timeline for this to be complete?

I love Grandy's, the one in Moore is still open and good. And they still have the breakfast buffet, lol.

The Grandy's in MWC is now open. I had a hankering for Taco Casa and I could smell delicious fried chicken wafting across Air Depot.

11. Default Re: Grandys

I was driving down Lincoln yesterday and noticed this:
    Grandy's on Lincoln.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    I love Grandy's, the one in Moore is still open and good. And they still have the breakfast buffet, lol.
    We were going to go to Grandy's on 39th and MacArthur for breakfast buffet a couple of months ago and I called first before we left and they said they don't have it any more.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I was driving down Lincoln yesterday and noticed this:
    Grandy's on Lincoln.jpg
    Sign came down this morning, wife works near there and sent pics.

I wish Boston Market would come back.

15. Default Re: Grandys

Anyone know what is going in at this location? Maybe a new Casey's?

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Anyone know what is going in at this location? Maybe a new Casey's?
    Scooter's:

17. Default Re: Grandys

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    We were going to go to Grandy's on 39th and MacArthur for breakfast buffet a couple of months ago and I called first before we left and they said they don't have it any more.
    I drive by that location. The changeable sign out front says "Yes we're open". Probably because the lot is always empty and the building looks horrible.

I worked at Grandy's in high school for the better part of a year and ate it more days than not during that tenure, sometimes a couple of times a day. I ate at this new location last summer, it was the first time I'd eaten at a Grandy's in well over a decade. It tasted just as I remember it, down to the overly buttered potatoes.

The little old ladies that used to work them went away many years ago. They pulled dual duty at nearly all locations as I was told. Their entire job consisted of making dinner rolls and cinnamon rolls (recipe strictly confidential on the cinnamon rolls and not known by them, the spices came pre-packaged) and to pass out dinner rolls. They were definitely some of my favorite coworkers.

Thread Information