Widgets Magazine

Thread: KOKC 1520-AM blowtorch being re-lit

Default KOKC 1520-AM blowtorch being re-lit

From a post in a thread on a different forum website, I saw this:

On March 25th, 2015, the Moore, OK, tornado smashed right into KOKC's 50kw facilities. As a result, there were forced to go 10kw non-directional the immediate future. Nearly seven years later, KOKC is ready to go back to the old 50kw pattern, but with new towers. On February 4th, 2022, they filed with the FCC a permit that would allow them to go 50,000 watts non-directional daytime, but directional to the north-west at night. This should accordingly improve reception for those of you who live in the city, but who this really benefits is the DXers of the inter-mountain region, and the nostalgic. This 50kw night signal should in particular be strong in my area of South-east Wyoming.
    Either way, welcome back, KOKC Oklahoma City, you truly are the comeback kid.

Default Re: KOKC 1520-AM blowtorch being re-lit

Outside of the 2 hours that Chad Alexander does in the afternoon, isn't the rest of KOKC just syndicated conservative talk programs that are on AM Talk stations in every market already?

When they get back up to 50KW I wish they would consider a 50-60's music format from 9 pm to 6 am ...take advantage of that huge night time signal ...surely the ratings wouldn't be any worse that what they have now. Keep the talk format during the daytime hours.

Quote Originally Posted by 5alive View Post
    When they get back up to 50KW I wish they would consider a 50-60's music format from 9 pm to 6 am ...take advantage of that huge night time signal ...surely the ratings wouldn't be any worse that what they have now. Keep the talk format during the daytime hours.
    +1

Reminiscent of the old KOMA-AM days

When I was growing up, my dad had a place up in Colorado. It was nice to always be able to pick up KOMA on the am dial at night.

Nice to see this happening. My old man was the Sports Director there for years back in the day. Good memories.

Thread Information