Widgets Magazine

Thread: 1521 NE 63rd St.

Northeast OKC 1521 NE 63rd St.

I was looking at the historical imagery on Google Earth around the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum. When you set the slider back to 1990, there is a very clear star across the street on NE 63rd. The block address being 1521. Over the years, trees grow in and around obscure the viewing, and the property looks to get more and more overgrown by trees.

Looking the property up on the Oklahoma County Assessor, I see that it was owned by Oklahoma Industries Authority in 1988 before it sold to the US Government. Ten years later in 1998, it is sold to the present owner, the National Cowboy Hall of Fame.

My guess would be that that star was some sort of installation for the 1989 Centennial Celebrations, and then no maintenance was ever given. Does anyone have additional detail about this?

Default Re: 1521 NE 63rd St.

i wish i could remember the exact story and can't find anything via google right now... it was supposed to be some sort of law enforcement memorial or hall of fame. i can't remember if it was sheriffs, police, or law enforcement in general. there was some sort of of scandal during construction with accusations of funds not spent appropriately and the project stalled. i believe this all happened in the late 1990's or very early 2000's. in addition to the star, i think there was an old wooden jailhouse moved onto the property.

3. Default Re: 1521 NE 63rd St.

It was tied to the U.S. Marshal’s Service.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    It was tied to the U.S. Marshal’s Service.
    right! i knew it was law enforcement but couldn't for the life of me remember which group.

I vaguely remember from the last trip a month ago a sign on that property about something the museum has planned there but maybe I dreamed it.

Ah! Thank you very much Urbanized for those links.

Online, the property appears to be for sale for $900,000 currently, but I didn't see any Realtor signage on it when I drove by to investigate.

Thread Information