Widgets Magazine

Thread: Car Headlights

Default Car Headlights

I was browsing the local news and saw this article that made me very happy. I don’t know about anyone else but blinding headlights have become a nightmare over the last 5 years. I don’t remember them being much of an issue unless some asshole just wouldn’t turn their high beams off but now it’s hard to tell.

https://okcfox.com/news/nation-world...2022-213110796

Default Re: Car Headlights

That is good news!

Yes it has gotten terrible. Not just you.

I want to install a huge mirror in my trunk where I can pop the trunk open while driving and direct those 2 million candle power brights back at the person behind me.

But on a more serious note I think a lot of the problem is just improperly adjusted headlights. Over the years and hitting hundreds of thousands of bumps your headlights move out of alignment. This results in light going over the road, and not onto the road. People can’t see the road so they use their high beams more often, or buy brighter bulbs when about 6 turns of a screw driver and some tape on the garage door at specific heights can align your lights perfect to spec.

5. Default Re: Car Headlights

They should make adaptive leveling headlights standard. My car came from the factory with the headlights too high. Had them adjusted the first week.

6. Default Re: Car Headlights

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    They should make adaptive leveling headlights standard. My car came from the factory with the headlights too high. Had them adjusted the first week.
    Mine were too. I kept getting flashed at when I was on low beams. So I lowered them just a tad and it was enough.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    But on a more serious note I think a lot of the problem is just improperly adjusted headlights. Over the years and hitting hundreds of thousands of bumps your headlights move out of alignment. This results in light going over the road, and not onto the road. People can’t see the road so they use their high beams more often, or buy brighter bulbs when about 6 turns of a screw driver and some tape on the garage door at specific heights can align your lights perfect to spec.
    A lot of the problem is the newer LED headlights that are *so* much brighter than incandescent (my new MINI's lights are waaaay different from my old Honda's, I need to read the manual to find out how to set/use them properly). And that there are so many huge-a** SUVs and pickups so their lights are higher. And then you have the idiots that have all their front lights on even if they have no idea what they do or how to use them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    A lot of the problem is the newer LED headlights that are *so* much brighter than incandescent (my new MINI's lights are waaaay different from my old Honda's, I need to read the manual to find out how to set/use them properly). And that there are so many huge-a** SUVs and pickups so their lights are higher. And then you have the idiots that have all their front lights on even if they have no idea what they do or how to use them properly.
    Actually a lot of the problem is people just like to do it. Strike up a conversation with someone in a suped up 4 wheel drive. They’ll tell you it’s other peoples problem. Or a BMW driver. These aren’t Honda accords and Toyota Tercel’s headlights blinding people. It’s these higher end models. Most on this thread is giving humanity too much credit. Most folks around here have no problem sipping champagne while watching someone starve in the street. I judge a lot of people I see based on their actions and I’m probably a A$/ for doing that. But I think the possibility of someone in a brand new Z series jacked up on aftermarket $1000 36inch Mickey Thompson’s is probably not the type that to be burdened with turning off their high beams for oncoming traffic.

These new headlights are really nice, but they are also really expensive. The cheapest assemblies on about any new car or truck is $500, and $1500 is more common. $3000-5000 on the high end cars before this new system. Those prices are not being reflected in used car values. So, a 2015 model that has a light front hit and needs a front bumper, grille, hood and headlights is likely to total.

I saw this too and was so happy about it. Less blinding lights can’t come soon enough!!

I've noticed way too many people driving around the OKC MSA without headlights at dusk or just after. It's actually extremely dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    I've noticed way too many people driving around the OKC MSA without headlights at dusk or just after. It's actually extremely dangerous.
    I’ve been noticing that more too. Weird.

It’s a symptom of too much automation. Automatic, or always on, dashlight causes people to not turn on their headlights. Used to be when it was too dark to see the dashboard you’d turn on your headlights.

Same thing for always on headlights… at night people forget to turn “on” their headlights (which turn on the rear red lights) because they think they are “on”. No one behind them can see their tail lights…

No one is aware of anything anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    It’s a symptom of too much automation. Automatic, or always on, dashlight causes people to not turn on their headlights. Used to be when it was too dark to see the dashboard you’d turn on your headlights.

Same thing for always on headlights… at night people forget to turn “on” their headlights (which turn on the rear red lights) because they think they are “on”. No one behind them can see their tail lights…

No one is aware of anything anymore.
    So very true. I just got a new MINI SE and the difference in the tech between my 14 year old Honda and it are amazing, not to mention the electric part of it, and I've had to dig around a lot to figure it all out. I always read the manual completely and know how all the buttons/switches/everything works and looks (and it's a big task this time around), but most people don't, they just leave the defaults on. And actually, I am going to leave my headlights on automatic for now to see how acceptable it is, but I'll be aware if it's not doing the job it needs to and change the settings if necessary.

I recall somebody on another thread mentioned this, but there's a tab on your rearview mirror you can push on that will change the reflection and it won't be so bad. Side mirrors good luck though.

I had a buddy in high school who carried a one-million candlepower spotlight in his car just to level the playing field.

Thread Information