Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jack Be Grocery

Default Re: Jack Be Grocery

I’m probably not their target demographic but I could certainly see the utility of it for others. I could see myself using it if one were near me, when I am on my way home after a long day of work and just need one or two things and not feeling like parking at a big store and walking around. Are the margins great enough on a gallon of milk and stick of butter for these smaller sales which will inevitably happen? The I feel like the major chains could crush this concept if it were ever grown large enough to be a threat to them. The name seems strange to me also.

Best of luck to them, I think if they are careful and can dance under the radar of the majors long enough to gain a foothold they may have a good business on their hands.

2. Default Re: Jack Be Grocery

The name seems strange to me also.
    I see a new life for Piggly Wiggly!

3. Default Re: Jack Be Grocery

They named it after a nursery rhyme, lol.

I truly hope they are a success but I'm among those who have no interest in this kind of concept unless I was just totally physically unable to shop for myself. If all I needed were staples, like canned goods, flour, sugar, soap, etc., that would be fine but there is absolutely no way I want someone else picking out my produce, meat (packaged or unpackaged), deli items, or bakery items. I normally don't make a decision about those kind of items until look them over to see what looks best.

I imagine there are no "substitutions" because they only have room for one brand and size of each product in a building that size. So they don't have to worry about substitutions because no other option exists.

Cool concept, I just wonder if their target demographic would be large enough and if they will be priced competitively. If the prices are too high, their target demographic would just do delivery and not worry about putting the kids in the car at all.

6. Default Re: Jack Be Grocery

I noticed yesterday that Walmart is now advertising grocery delivery. I am sure all the others will fall in line to compete.

It will be interesting to see the driver of a tractor trailer navigate to the dock with only one entrance/exit. I'm guessing only early morning deliveries.

I live across the street from where this is going in. There was some rumblings about Wal-Mart optioning the site for another Neighborhood Market, but that allegedly fell through and this group bought half of the property that would've been Wal-Mart's.

While I think the concept is interesting, it's worth noting that NONE of the members of the board for this group appear to have any experience either in grocery or the logistics side of making something like this run.

https://www.linkedin.com/company/jac...te_actor-image

I'm also with the above poster on that it's interesting they blew $3.5 million on real estate for an unproven concept when, given the small size of their building footprint, there were literally dozens of other spots in town that would've made far more sense in terms of testing the concept...ESPECIALLY with the fancy Homeland opening up a mile to the south.

Quote Originally Posted by eventide451 View Post
    I live across the street from where this is going in. There was some rumblings about Wal-Mart optioning the site for another Neighborhood Market, but that allegedly fell through and this group bought half of the property that would've been Wal-Mart's.

While I think the concept is interesting, it's worth noting that NONE of the members of the board for this group appear to have any experience either in grocery or the logistics side of making something like this run.

https://www.linkedin.com/company/jac...te_actor-image

I'm also with the above poster on that it's interesting they blew $3.5 million on real estate for an unproven concept when, given the small size of their building footprint, there were literally dozens of other spots in town that would've made far more sense in terms of testing the concept...ESPECIALLY with the fancy Homeland opening up a mile to the south.
    That link has another link to their website, complete with a cute animation of how their process works. Interesting.

https://jackbe.life/?trk=organizatio...te_update-text

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    I like to walk the aisles and also look for sales items to stock up on. I really don't care if the corn is libby brand or del monte if one is cheaper. It also gives me ideas for cooking meals or looking for meat sales for something to throw in smoker because it is on sale. ie....wow...great price on baby backs so lets do ribs this weekend. However.....I do not have a one year old in tow and this is perfect for them. I would use it when I forget something and just need 1-2 items and don't want the hassle of parking and going in.
    This is exactly how I feel about shopping. But I usually have 2 kids under 8 in tow. It can be rough but I still prefer it. My wife on the other hand hasn't stepped in a store to grocery shop in probably 5 years.

I would be very happy if I never had to go into a grocery store again.

I know exactly what I want but good luck finding one item or two in an absolute mountain of products on dozens of aisles. And absolutely no one to help you.

I don't like the idea of delivery either, because then you have to be home in a certain time window, like waiting for the cable guy every time you want groceries. And then there's the fees and minimums.

I really like this idea and while not for everyone, I bet they find plenty of customers. Other grocery outlets would be wise to offer a similar model.

12. Default Re: Jack Be Grocery

^^^^^^^
    I’ll be considering it, at least for when I shop for my elderly mother. I was paying someone to shop for her and clean her house, but the lady I was paying to do so quit a bunch of her clients recently, including us. Mom’s building is secure, so negotiating grocery delivery location/time/entry with a stranger via an app is fraught with peril.

So instead I give up a couple of valuable hours each weekend to shop form Mom and bring her groceries to her. When I shop for myself I can do it in about 10-15 meetings, but shopping for her is much more involved. If I had the ability to order at a place like this via app and just swing throw and grab the stuff on the way to her place. Dropping the stuff off is the only part I enjoy, and if I didn’t have to do the shopping part I’d have more time to spend visiting with Mom instead of stressing over time lost.

13. Default Re: Jack Be Grocery

count me in as well. Amazon offers something similar here in the Seattle area, but I only best wishes to Jack Be amd OKC.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

14. Default Re: Jack Be Grocery

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ^^^^^^^
    I’ll be considering it, at least for when I shop for my elderly mother. I was paying someone to shop for her and clean her house, but the lady I was paying to do so quit a bunch of her clients recently, including us. Mom’s building is secure, so negotiating grocery delivery location/time/entry with a stranger via an app is fraught with peril.

So instead I give up a couple of valuable hours each weekend to shop form Mom and bring her groceries to her. When I shop for myself I can do it in about 10-15 meetings, but shopping for her is much more involved. If I had the ability to order at a place like this via app and just swing throw and grab the stuff on the way to her place. Dropping the stuff off is the only part I enjoy, and if I didn’t have to do the shopping part I’d have more time to spend visiting with Mom instead of stressing over time lost.
    Good grief, the typos. 10-15 MINUTES, not meetings. Among other autocorrect debacles.

Since they are targeting young people. i will not shop there...i would rather pick my own fruits and vegetables...i know, i know.....call me old fashion!

Quote Originally Posted by sgt. pepper View Post
    Since they are targeting young people. i will not shop there...i would rather pick my own fruits and vegetables...i know, i know.....call me old fashion!
    I know how it is "When I'm 64".

This whole order on-line pick up or have it delivered to you crap is for LAZY people..... lazy, lazy, lazy.....no excuses. this pandemic has changed a lot of things...and for the worse. If you think you are too busy or to out of shape to walk into a grocery store, then something is wrong that you need to change. How pathetic have we become to justify people bring food out to our cars?

This whole order on-line pick up or have it delivered to you crap is for LAZY people..... lazy, lazy, lazy.....no excuses. this pandemic has changed a lot of things...and for the worse. If you think you are too busy or to out of shape to walk into a grocery store, then something is wrong that you need to change. How pathetic have we become to justify people bring food out to our cars?
    Is this satire?

How dare people use a drive through either, get out of your car and walk into the store like your ancestors did.

/s of course

Next thing you know, you'll be able to get pre-cooked food at drive-thru restaurants! Then, some will drive it right to your house! What's next... Stores that deliver through the mail??

And everybody should have to go inside to the pharmacy, dry cleaners and everything else!

And definitely don't get a pizza delivered, that genie needs to be put back into the bottle before it becomes a decades old American tradition.

Sgt. Pepper - Sometimes a product isn't meant for you. As I'm getting older and kids are doing things I wouldn't do, I have to ask myself if I'm just yelling at clouds or not. Chalk this one up to this business won't serve you and move on. You will live a happier life.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    Sgt. Pepper - Sometimes a product isn't meant for you. As I'm getting older and kids are doing things I wouldn't do, I have to ask myself if I'm just yelling at clouds or not. Chalk this one up to this business won't serve you and move on. You will live a happier life.

Also don't forget that physical and mental disabilities are absolutely a thing that can prevent a person from walking into a store to do their own grocery shopping - whether they be temporary or permanent.

LOL...i knew i would get a lot of flack over this....you guys know what i mean. Times change, you can choose to change with them or not. I stand by my comments. BTW..i don't like drives thru either...do not use them at the pharmacy, definitely not at the dry cleaners...wow...and i never have pizza delivered. I have an opinion like everybody else. You have to agree that people are getting lazy...been getting lazy for hundreds of years. Choices are good, you can choose to stay in your car, or get out and get some good excercise.

Thread Information