Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A proposal coming before the OKC City Council

Default Re: A proposal coming before the OKC City Council

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Good luck in your fight. Keep in mind a lot of people won't care because they already perceive S OKC as a giant wasteland and don't give a crap about it. As far as many of them are concerned, it's just another trash dump in a trash dump.
    So very true.

2. Default Re: A proposal coming before the OKC City Council

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    There's a transfer station I use near where I live. They aren't exactly hospital clean but it's not too bad, it is located in a very similar area as the one proposed in this thread. An industrial area near the airport. It's basically a large warehouse where you back in, dump your stuff on the ground and they come behind you with these huge front-end loaders and scoop it all up and dump it into a big trailer so they can haul it off to the dump. None of the waste sits very long so smells aren't a huge deal. Trucks aren't in a congo-line leaving the facility. In fact, I have never seen a truck leave the facility so they probably leave every hour or so.

In my experience, 90% of the trash is large limbs, oversize items such as couches and office furniture, etc. - things that don't typically smell bad. I think most people put their rotting food in their household trash, not bringing it out to a transfer station.
    I'll agree with this. MWC used to have a publicly available transfer station on 15th st. It ended up permanently closing because of various issue with the way people were abusing it (load sizes/wanting to dump things like paint there/generally being jerks about it all to the city workers). I made use of that several times and I definitely agree that MOST of what i saw was landscaping and large items that people wanted gone but couldn't just put at the curb. Now that there's a bulk trash day (MWC didn't used to have one) it's also easier to get those removed.

I am in Moore now and can say there are some things I miss about the OKC services (like recycling). Looking at a transfer station though, unless you were looking for it, you wouldn't notice it was there. It's going to look just like any other building around it...metal, like the one in that picture. You back up to it, dump your stuff in the chute, it compacts it and then that compactor makes its way to the dump. Honestly, I think you're picturing in your mind, something different from what this really is.

I think there was a meeting on this topic tonight to address resident's concerns. Was anyone able to attend and willing to share an update?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    I think there was a meeting on this topic tonight to address resident's concerns. Was anyone able to attend and willing to share an update?
    what is funny is that this entire area is likely to be the turnpike interchange

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    what is funny is that this entire area is likely to be the turnpike interchange
    Exactly. Also seems like the service roads will all get re-done and incorporated to better facilitate traffic. Will be a huge improvement when it's done.

Any updates from someone who attended the meeting? Thanks.

Thread Information