Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major League Baseball or Major League Soccer in OKC 2026

Blog Entries

Default Major League Baseball or Major League Soccer in OKC 2026

To attract Major League Baseball or Major League Soccer thru expansion or relocation, Oklahoma City would need:

Corporate Support
    Ownership group
    Major League Baseball (open/closed roof)/Major League Soccer Stadium
    Season Ticket Support Base

Major League Baseball Stadium (Open/Closed Roof):

American Family Field, Milwaukee
    Seating capacity 41,900, Opened 2001, Construction cost $400 million, Milwaukee MSA 1,574,731 also NBA Milwaukee Bucks

Major League Soccer (Outdoor) Stadium:

Rio Tinto Stadium, Sandy, Utah
    Seating capacity 20,213, Opened 2008, Construction cost $110 million, Salt Lake City MSA 1,257,936 also NBA Utah Jazz
    Stadium is location in suburban, Sandy Utah, 17 miles from Salt Lake City

Baseball - $500 million
    Soccer - $250 million

Seating Capacity:

Major League Baseball [40,00-42,000]
    Soccer [20,000-22,000]
    $37 million funded thru MAPS 4 Multipurpose Stadium funds
    Expansion of Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark 31,500
    until an MLB stadium is funded & built.

Which would you support if given a choice: Major League Base (MLB) or Major League Soccer if an expansion or relocation franchise were awarded between 2025-2030

Oklahoma Statistical Estimates for 2025 - 2030

Oklahoma State population: 4.2
    OKC MSA Population: 1.6 million
    OKC Proper Population: 800,000

Default Re: Major League Baseball or Major League Soccer in OKC 2026

Neither are going to happen.

The Milwaukee stadium was $400M, 20 years ago. I don’t think MAPS 5, 6 and 7 will pass just to cover a single stadium for baseball.

Blog Entries

dude we can't even keep minor league soccer or hockey going

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    dude we can't even keep minor league soccer or hockey going
    Granted minor leagues tend to struggle whatever and wherever they are, in the era of TV and VOD anyone who likes that sport can watch a ton of better players/games, for less than the price of tickets to a minor league event. As one of the larger markets not having major team for whichever sport, our minor league teams are probably doing better than most, it is kind of crazy how many minor league teams go bankrupt or the league implodes.

+1. For a multiplicity of reasons. Low population. Low per capita income. Low TV numbers. Low national perception of major league status to name a few

All of the negativity and comments as to why this will never happen are the exact same statements spewed about the NBA coming here!

The key sticking point in your statement is "2026." I don't see either of these happening by 2026. That doesn't mean 2031 isn't - maybe - possible or 2036 isn't much more possible.

But we're 4 years out and SERIOUS momentum would have to be building with plans being firmed up today for your timetable to work. Who is the ownership group who, by now, would already be stepping up and fundraising like mad? Where are the plans for the stadium that would be far enough along to be getting costs and contractors in place? Does that timeline even match the expansion plans for the leagues, who would have to not only consider OKC but actually vote to make it happen? Will the leagues be growing in 2026?

I don't want to be negative and I know similar arguments were made about the NBA. But baseball has 40 or 50 home games a year and requires 30,000-40,000 spectators a game. Is OKC capable of that? I'm not saying it isn't but I do think it's an open question. As for soccer, that remains somewhat of a niche sport in a town like OKC. I think OKC has a greater chance of one of these working in 20 years when the population will be that much greater.

Considering you could have seated everyone at the Thunder game last night in the lower bowl, there is a less than 0% chance of either happening.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dford2 View Post
    All of the negativity and comments as to why this will never happen are the exact same statements spewed about the NBA coming here!
    That is a valid take. If a group of billionaires just decided not to wait to bid on an expansion team and to go buy a team a bring them here it could happen. There are only so many of those opportunities, but it's not impossible. However, until we get picked by some league, ANY league, for expansion on the merits of our city over other cities, I just don't see it happening "organically" in the near future (next couple decades). I suspect we'll have to wait for that next group of billionaires with the right opportunity in their sights if it's going to happen sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Neither are going to happen.
    Maybe not by 2026 but I bet one or the other happens by 2030.

12. Default Re: Major League Baseball or Major League Soccer in OKC 2026

Quote Originally Posted by Thatguy15 View Post
    Considering you could have seated everyone at the Thunder game last night in the lower bowl, there is a less than 0% chance of either happening.
    This is happening consistently across small and midsized markets throughout the league. Even some of the largest markets in the league are pulling about the same attendance as OKC is presently. Low attendance isn’t the exception; it’s the rule. This is pandemic-related much more than it is the market indicator that you are suggesting.

Okay, I'll do it. I'll try and buy a team and move them here.

I'll post the link to my GoFundMe. I'm only a few billion short.

As much as I love baseball and would really love not having to drive to KC or Dallas to catch an MLB game, OKC just doesn't make a lot of sense. We've got a great AAA stadium affiliated with one of the best teams in all of baseball. The games are cheap, you can get good seats on most nights, and the quality of play is pretty good.

Any MLB stadium in OKC would have to have a retractable roof due to heat (see why the Rangers got a new stadium despite their previous one being not that old) and thus easily cost close to a $billion, if not more. Also, Montreal, Portland, Nashville, Indianapolis are all ahead of us from MLB's interest side.

MLS seems more within reach (and given soccer's overall growth in the US, a better long-term bet). Plus a soccer facility can double as a high school football stadium or other events a lot better than a baseball stadium.

The cheapest option would be to get a hockey team to alternate at Paycom Arena, but I think the NHL is tapped out on expansion for a bit after the Seattle Kraken.

I would think the Thunder ownership group is working awfully hard to keep OKC a one team city. Very easy for the support and Money to get spread too thin.

Just look at Seattle. It is way bigger than OKC, but it is tough to ask the taxpayers to finance multiple stadiums via endless corporate welfare.

The chance to get an MLB team was with the A's- it's looking like Oakland will either build them a stadium or they're off to Las Vegas. The MLB isn't going to expand and every other team outside the Angels & Rays is happy with their current setup.

MLS who knows. Pro Soccer in this country is finally sorta taking off. One thing to is the USL is a better model for owners than the MLS. It's still evolving and it's unknown how it will ultimately shake out. It's still not a guarantee the MLS is the top league 10 years from now.

Portland T-Blazers 81 @ Thunder 98

Box score https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401360584

Attendance: 13,812

Last nights game attendance - Not bad considering Portland is not a big draw, with Dame out.

A full house is a little over 18 thousand.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    This is happening consistently across small and midsized markets throughout the league. Even some of the largest markets in the league are pulling about the same attendance as OKC is presently. Low attendance isn’t the exception; it’s the rule. This is pandemic-related much more than it is the market indicator that you are suggesting.
    Nah, if this was the 2012-2018 Thunder, that place would be full. It's people being tired of paying for an average product (team) that lacks a true superstar. MLB and their 81 game home schedule is not the answer. Soccer will never work at the MLS level, its too niche of a sport right now for OKC. I'd love to have several major professional sports here, but it wont happen in my lifetime and I'm sub 40.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Portland T-Blazers 81 @ Thunder 98

Box score https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401360584

Attendance: 13,812

Last nights game attendance - Not bad considering Portland is not a big draw, with Dame out.
    I was there. 13,812 LOF'nL Nowhere near that many there.

Attendance comes down to paid seats, not butts in seats. I was a club level season ticket holder for 10 years, but when covid happened we decided to take some time off.

They count paid tickets , not people present in the arena. Big difference.

The company I work for, as four season tickets and we barley use them this season.

Nah, if this was the 2012-2018 Thunder, that place would be full. It's people being tired of paying for an average product (team) that lacks a true superstar. MLB and their 81 game home schedule is not the answer. Soccer will never work at the MLS level, its too niche of a sport right now for OKC. I'd love to have several major professional sports here, but it wont happen in my lifetime and I'm sub 40.
    I agree with all this. I have access to Thunder tickets almost every game if I really wanted too. I haven't been since Westbrook left. Some of that was definitely Covid. Most of it was not.

23. Default Re: Major League Baseball or Major League Soccer in OKC 2026

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I agree with all this. I have access to Thunder tickets almost every game if I really wanted too. I haven't been since Westbrook left. Some of that was definitely Covid. Most of it was not.
    Same boat. COVID had an effect but more so that I've soooooo many teams go into rebuild mode and never recover or at least not for many, many years. I just don't think it's the way to put a winning team together.

I think MLS is at about 40 cities, including current teams, expansion awarded and organizations that are ready and paid have initial fee. It is probably the hottest league for people that want to be in sports ownership, are rich, but not billionaires. Most have bought into the "soccer is the next big thing in US team sports" mindset. Same thing that has been going on since Pele came to the New York Cosmos around 1975. I think OKC is in the 40-50 group.

OKC has 2 big league sports currently: OU football and Thunder NBA. Be a tough nut to get into a third.

Couldn't sell my tickets last night and couldn't even find someone to take them. According to ESPN we are 4th from last in attendance but also shows an average of 14,494 which is no way happening. http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance I would put the number closer to probably say about 9,000 or less.

Thread Information