Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: February 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: February 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Anon, would it still be fair to say i-44 is becoming a bit of a dividing line in all this?

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    NWS launching special balloons all day. It shows the warm layer aloft is eroding. Which means less ice/sleet chances, and direct-to-snow path is being paved for OKC.
    5-7 still for OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    5-7 still for OKC?
    NWS currently estimates 4"-6" for the metro; the hourly weather graph is forecasting just over 5" for my location near-ish to the airport between now and 6pm tomorrow. This lines up relatively close to the most recent HRRR and NAM 3km model runs.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Anon, would it still be fair to say i-44 is becoming a bit of a dividing line in all this?
    Dividing for what? Snow will accumulate both NW and SE of I-44.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    5-7 still for OKC?
    I would say that is on the high side. I would guess more 3 NW OKC, maybe a 6 on SE side.

Here is the latest HRRR which includes some remnant wrap-around snow showers that models are wanting to bring back for Thursday.

Yeah models have definitely uptrended a bit in the last 12 hours as far as snow in the metro area. Course it's all a bit moot since anything north of 3 inches will probably shut things down at least through Thursday.

Snowbanding is getting pretty healthy right now. Constant redevelopment on the W/SW sides of current banding. Hi-Def models show the dryslot making some moves around the 8pm timeframe, so we will have to watch the western edge of the snow for erosion.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Snowbanding is getting pretty healthy right now. Constant redevelopment on the W/SW sides of current banding. Hi-Def models show the dryslot making some moves around the 8pm timeframe, so we will have to watch the western edge of the snow for erosion.
    Yeah West metro might get an inch or two less than southeast-east Metro. 1.5 inches airport area in 3 hours so I would think we are heading 3-4 inches for the metro but looking at radar South of Norman is getting slammed Pauls Valley area slammed

Anon, my I-44 question was from earlier in the day when it looked like there could at least be a shot at a "demarc" of sorts along I-44. That clearly didn't happen.

I'm over by airport and have 2.5 inches at 9pm what does everyone else have. Local news keeps saying over 4 inches. I haven't seen anyone with 4 inches in the metro on the NWS chat. I wonder if they are just using radar estimates? Friend near Yukon has 2.6. There was a report on Twitter at 8pm of 2.8 in Moore.

https://twitter.com/iembot_oun/statu...oXAUAbQC9gh2mg 7 inches if you listen to tv media.

I have almost 4.5 in west OKC. A drift of 8-10 inches…I’d rather have none.

Wrap-around snow is trying to get fired up across the TX PH right now. Models show this becoming a decent batch of snow showers as it crosses into OK.

Because the atmosphere is so cold, the snowfall ratio will be much higher and we could see another 1-2 or 3" for anyone caught under the heavier banding.

EDIT: Wrong map posted.

NWS says another 2-3 for north or I40

https://twitter.com/nwsnorman/status...260107782?s=21

So does anyone have any idea when it is safe to go back to work?

15. Default Re: February 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Boop View Post
    So does anyone have any idea when it is safe to go back to work?
    Not sure about safe but my wife and I are going tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Not sure about safe but my wife and I are going tomorrow.
    I hope your wife and yourself stay safe!

Still snowing at my house.

I have about 5-7 inches and some big drifts!

18. Default Re: February 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Still snowing at my house.

I have about 5-7 inches and some big drifts!
    The wind really swirls in our back yard. We have some drifts about 3 feet tall.

Just got back from a "test" drive from NW 63rd and May area to 19th Street and Telephone Rd area of Moore. Roads, even I-35, are TERRIBLE. I have a Ford Escape AWD, and can get around very well, no slipping and sliding. There were not very many people on the roads, but I saw at least four new accidents as I went down to Moore and back to north OkC. With more snow predicted to come in, I can only imagine what it will be like in the morning. I-35 was maybe one lane of tracks, some areas covered over completely. Took about 45 minutes each way going between 30 and 40 MPH. The lack of other traffic helped. Of course, there are those that blow past you at much higher speeds, but let them pass I say. Drifting along I-35 will be a problem in the morning. The new flyover from Broadway Ext. to Grand/Western was almost impassible for the first one half of the curve due to drifting. Main and side roads are snow packed over ice.

Be safe if you must drive.

The sun will melt the roads by lunch. Black ice threat will be high Friday night from snowmelt runoff.

21. Default Re: February 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Boop View Post
    I hope your wife and yourself stay safe!
    Thanks. We live near Hefner & Rockwell. I got my wife to work at NW36 & Lincoln this morning at 6:00 and I went on to near the airport with no problem. And today I drove her 2WD Liberty. Wednesday afternoon at 4:00 was way worse and that was my FWD car with traction control and antilock brakes.

Roads are all still snowpacked as of right now. Traction is not bad though, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Roads are all still snowpacked as of right now. Traction is not bad though, IMO.
    This seems one of the rare times we got pure snow, without a base of ice or sleet under it

24. Default Re: February 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    This seems one of the rare times we got pure snow, without a base of ice or sleet under it
    Yes. But what we're plowing this morning has about 1/4 inch or so of ice underneath. I think the pavement was warm enough Wed evening that the base melted a bit as more snow piled on top. Then froze later. Usually fluffy snow just plows right down to pavement easily. This is being a bit more difficult. But the sun will help a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Yes. But what we're plowing this morning has about 1/4 inch or so of ice underneath. I think the pavement was warm enough Wed evening that the base melted a bit as more snow piled on top.
    Yep, Tevin Wooten on the Weather Channel scraped his boots around in Bricktown and hit hard slush, and that's frozen by now.

Thread Information