Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Oklahoma group on Facebook

Default Moving to Oklahoma group on Facebook

I was told about a group on Facebook named Moving to Oklahoma. Some here would be amazed how many people are considering, or are moving here. Are we Texas, Arizona, or Florida? No. However, the state seems to be getting more attention from people across the country. And they're not just moving to the Oklahoma City area either.

Default Re: Moving to Oklahoma group on Facebook

When I travel across the country I always talk to people who know someone who moved to Oklahoma. I used to ask "why on earth did they move?" because no one ever wanted to move here. I now expect that I am going to have that conversation because it happens every time.

Whoa whoa...facebook still exists? Anyone under 64 years old on there?

4. Default Re: Moving to Oklahoma group on Facebook

My exes dad moved from Burbank to OKC while we were married. He sold his house there for almost 3 million and bought a much nicer house here for 300k. Pretty good reason to move if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Thatguy15 View Post
    Whoa whoa...facebook still exists? Anyone under 64 years old on there?

No

6. Default Re: Moving to Oklahoma group on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by whatitis View Post
    No
    There's at least 30 of us that use FB to keep in touch that went to Sequoyah grade school. We're all 62ish but not 65.

I have a lot of FB friends in their 60s and some are in their 70s or older. It's not just kids.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    I was told about a group on Facebook named Moving to Oklahoma. Some here would be amazed how many people are considering, or are moving here. Are we Texas, Arizona, or Florida? No. However, the state seems to be getting more attention from people across the country. And they're not just moving to the Oklahoma City area either.
    Some are coming from California but not necessarily the liberal ones. To quote one in Stillwater FB community page in response to vote proposal to raise city sales tax for streets, "Please, please, please take it from a former Californian. Never vote for new taxes, ever!"

I think some are coming from Colorado, especially Denver, to get away from the higher cost of living. That's probably a more common reason than over politics. Others are coming from Texas. More will probably come as their COL goes up and don't mind Oklahoma's state income tax. Maybe the income tax needs to stay to temper the population growth and help keep COL down. A number of the fastest growing states, like Texas, don't have a state income tax.

I have a lot of FB friends in their 60s and some are in their 70s or older. It's not just kids.
    “Facebook is like the mall: it was a cool place to hang out when we were teenagers but now it’s a decaying monument to the past; I return there sporadically to shop & see elderly people getting into fights”

https://twitter.com/isabelzawtun/sta...5TODf-zLWBkrhQ

I’m 28 and on facebook(though I plan to delete it this year). I see tons of younger people on Facebook. Some might be surprised to know Blockbuster still exists lol

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I’m 28 and on facebook(though I plan to delete it this year). I see tons of younger people on Facebook. Some might be surprised to know Blockbuster still exists lol
    Then why delete yourself from Facebook? Too many tons of younger people?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Then why delete yourself from Facebook? Too many tons of younger people?
    I don’t find much use for it. Lots of negativity. I do like the groups though. Really nice Auburn/Duesenberg and mid century/art nouveau architecture group I’ve learned a lot from.

As much as I would like to see some new blood move to the area. I mean we really need some. But California still lags behind far behind Texas,. Arkansas and Colorado in numbers of folks moving to Oklahoma.
    The California number gets cut down to maybe 2500 people if you factor in the number of Oklahomans moving to California. This topic gets misrepresented on some SM. It seems that the westbound I40 is bumper to bumper all the way to Bakersfield with people moving back. I found some useful statistics on KFOR because most of these articles are questionable FB clickbait. What I have seen is several Californians buying up tons of residences here and doing a quick flip turning the properties into rentals. As is the case with 10 or so homes in my subdivision. They’re also charging pretty exorbitant rents. 1500 to 1800/month for a home that costs 130k. Just food for thought.

The politics in Oklahoma can be off putting to some in California. For instance this new 30 days from the last period law introduced by Treat. Most of the Californians that I know would say this law sounds oppressive. I’m male so I kind of feel this should be a female dominated issue. And while the cost of living sounds great here this also comes with significant Wage cuts. Furthermore, most of the claims about Californians bailing on California come from politically motivated people wanting to take a jab at a left leaning state. I think a better way to lure Californians to Oklahoma would be a more moderate/centrist inclusive state politics and improve the quality of life standards across the state. Getting more diverse industry and getting away from boom and bust oil/NG.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    The politics in Oklahoma can be off putting to some in California. For instance this new 30 days from the last period law introduced by Treat. Most of the Californians that I know would say this law sounds oppressive. I’m male so I kind of feel this should be a female dominated issue. And while the cost of living sounds great here this also comes with significant Wage cuts. Furthermore, most of the claims about Californians bailing on California come from politically motivated people wanting to take a jab at a left leaning state. I think a better way to lure Californians to Oklahoma would be a more moderate/centrist inclusive state politics and improve the quality of life standards across the state. Getting more diverse industry and getting away from boom and bust oil/NG.
    My son and his wife and newborn moved to California (Carlsbad) this past August. Was too hot for them in PHX. They have since decided even though the beach was good, they decided 1 Million bucks for a 1,700 sq ft average house was not in the cards. They could afford it, but the high taxation, regulations, etc was not worth it. They had spent 5 years in Colorado and 5 in Phoenix. Sounds like they are planning to move to Colorado this summer.

Oklahoma City is not dependent on the O&G industry. I wish people would quit spewing this myth.

There is only one Blockbuster that reminds open and that is in Oregon, the rest of the Blockbusters are shut down for good

, most of the claims about Californians bailing on California come from politically motivated people wanting to take a jab at a left leaning state.
    California lost a house seat for the first time in its history ..

people fleeing california is not some myth

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    California lost a house seat for the first time in its history ..

people fleeing california is not some myth
    It might not be a myth but it could certainly be overstated. Much of the migration was to the suburbs. The urban renaissance is something many of the anti car nuts hoped for but isn’t as true as they’d wish. Cars and car centric cities are the best way forward not new urbanism.

But there isn’t some mass exodus happening either. Populations shift. The south and Midwest are booming. The inland empire is booming as well growing just as fast as austin.

It might not be a myth but it could certainly be overstated. Much of the migration was to the suburbs. The urban renaissance is something many of the anti car nuts hoped for but isn’t as true as they’d wish. Cars and car centric cities are the best way forward not new urbanism.

But there isn’t some mass exodus happening either. Populations shift. The south and Midwest are booming. The inland empire is booming as well growing just as fast as austin.
    Could you go into more detail why people are choosing the inland Empire area and other car centric areas? Or provide a link to an article that explains it well?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    Could you go into more detail why people are choosing the inland Empire area and other car centric areas? Or provide a link to an article that explains it well?
    Here’s an article about the growth in IE https://www.ocregister.com/2021/12/0...ic-growth/amp/

Some links about the population shifts in California

https://laist.com/news/housing-homel...-congress-seat

https://www.universityofcalifornia.e...ing-california

22. Default Re: Moving to Oklahoma group on Facebook

Actually people are leaving California in mass. So many that they lost a congressional seat. California is also a top O&G producing state.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    Actually people are leaving California in mass. So many that they lost a congressional seat. California is also a top O&G producing state.
    I guess Oregon gaining a seat must be from all those Californians moving north.

24. Default Re: Moving to Oklahoma group on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I guess Oregon gaining a seat must be from all those Californians moving north.
    Oregon also has better weed.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Oklahoma City is not dependent on the O&G industry. I wish people would quit spewing this myth.
    Oklahoma City doesn’t have the drilling that it used to no. But the states economy does. If this were an Oklahoma City specific thread maybe though

Thread Information