Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rockwell and I-40

Default Rockwell and I-40

Does anybody know if the Rockwell bridge over I-40 is being winded or being repaired?

Default Re: Rockwell and I-40

There is no major projects listed on ODOTs most recent 8 year plan for it, maybe there was something found on an inspection or an accident damaged it recently

Quote Originally Posted by sgt. pepper View Post
    Does anybody know if the Rockwell bridge over I-40 is being winded or being repaired?
    I-40 narrowed at Rockwell Ave., Rockwell Ave. closed near Reno Ave. through Summer 2022
    The following I-40 and Rockwell Ave. closures continue through summer 2022 for the first phase of a bridge rehabilitation project:

I-40 will be narrowed to two lanes in each direction between MacArthur Blvd. (mm 144) and Council Rd. (mm 142);
    Rockwell Ave. is closed between S.W. 3rd St. and the south I-40 Service Rd. through ​summer 2022. All through traffic will be detoured to MacArthur Blvd.; local traffic will be able to access I-40 south of Rockwell Ave. via the eastbound I-40 on- and off-ramps;
    Southbound Rockwell Ave. will be narrowed to one lane and open to local traffic only from Reno Ave. to S.W. 3rd St. Monday through late February.

https://aem-prod.ok.gov/odot/citizen...ry-1-7-22.html

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    I-40 narrowed at Rockwell Ave., Rockwell Ave. closed near Reno Ave. through Summer 2022
    The following I-40 and Rockwell Ave. closures continue through summer 2022 for the first phase of a bridge rehabilitation project:

I-40 will be narrowed to two lanes in each direction between MacArthur Blvd. (mm 144) and Council Rd. (mm 142);
    Rockwell Ave. is closed between S.W. 3rd St. and the south I-40 Service Rd. through ​summer 2022. All through traffic will be detoured to MacArthur Blvd.; local traffic will be able to access I-40 south of Rockwell Ave. via the eastbound I-40 on- and off-ramps;
    Southbound Rockwell Ave. will be narrowed to one lane and open to local traffic only from Reno Ave. to S.W. 3rd St. Monday through late February.

https://aem-prod.ok.gov/odot/citizen...ry-1-7-22.html

thank you. the bridge is all torn up and was just wondering the scope of the work.

thank you. the bridge is all torn up and was just wondering the scope of the work.
    you're welcome ..

6. Default Re: Rockwell and I-40

It's repairs but I'm sitting here watching 2 big track hoes tearing the crap out of it. So it's a major rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    It's repairs but I'm sitting here watching 2 big track hoes tearing the crap out of it. So it's a major rebuild.
    "Rehabilitation" usually involves completely ripping out the old expansion joints.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    "Rehabilitation" usually involves completely ripping out the old expansion joints.
    From prior and scheduled projects for other bridges over i40 constructed from that era, if they are doing that level of demolition, they are probably are at least redecking the entire bridge.

9. Default Re: Rockwell and I-40

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    From prior and scheduled projects for other the bridges over i40 constructed from that era, if they are doing that level of demolition, they are probably redecking the entire bridge.
    ^
    This is what they appear to be doing.

10. Default Re: Rockwell and I-40

That bridge was a complete pile of crap. So it's definitely needed. And summer is probably right. They have taken about 9 months when they have 4 bridges, so that seems about right for this one little bridge. Like always, demo goes pretty fast, but the rebuild is slow AF. What I'm not sure of is why they need to keep the lanes closed. On 240, they closed the road and rerouted traffic at night a couple of times during demo, but the whole road was open the rest of the project. Do that at 2am on I-40 and you wont be creating too much chaos.

It's just another part in the "let's not let him get to work without construction" saga during COVID. There's this and now the southern-most bridge on I-44 just north of Airport Rd. I went in one day a few weeks ago thinking "YAY! Finally there's no construction. CAR FIRE ON I-40! Then these two pop up. I wanna cry.....WHYYYYYY!!!!!

11. Default Re: Rockwell and I-40

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    That bridge was a complete pile of crap. So it's definitely needed. And summer is probably right. They have taken about 9 months when they have 4 bridges, so that seems about right for this one little bridge. Like always, demo goes pretty fast, but the rebuild is slow AF. What I'm not sure of is why they need to keep the lanes closed. On 240, they closed the road and rerouted traffic at night a couple of times during demo, but the whole road was open the rest of the project. Do that at 2am on I-40 and you wont be creating too much chaos.

It's just another part in the "let's not let him get to work without construction" saga during COVID. There's this and now the southern-most bridge on I-44 just north of Airport Rd. I went in one day a few weeks ago thinking "YAY! Finally there's no construction. CAR FIRE ON I-40! Then these two pop up. I wanna cry.....WHYYYYYY!!!!!
    Right now going north or west from the airport on a highway is pain. 44 is down to two lanes, 152 is down to one lane and 40 is either one or two lanes.

Well...i was hoping that Rockwell bridge was going to get widen, also I think the Council bridge over I-40 needs widening (both very old bridges). Not much south of I-40 in that area, but still a lot of traffic.

13. Default Re: Rockwell and I-40

Well...i was hoping that Rockwell bridge was going to get widen, also I think the Council bridge over I-40 needs widening (both very old bridges). Not much south of I-40 in that area, but still a lot of traffic.
    I agree with Council needing widening. Rockwell doesn't have near as much traffic since it doesn't go south from there.

14. Default Re: Rockwell and I-40

There is a section of the middle of the bridge about 50 to 60 feet long that is down to the I beams. This is a major rebuild.

Might as well just rebuild and widen the bridge. This section of I-40 from council to I-44 needs a rebuild, interchanges rebuilt, and widened to 4-5 lanes each way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I agree with Council needing widening. Rockwell doesn't have near as much traffic since it doesn't go south from there.
    If Rockwell were widened it would take some of the heat off the MacArthur intersection.

Quote Originally Posted by soonergooner View Post
    If Rockwell were widened it would take some of the heat off the MacArthur intersection.
    The Rockwell bridge rarely seems like it has more than a few vehicles on it at the same time, so widening it does not seem likely to take much heat off MacArthur, plus being four lanes they might switch the south side to a traffic light which will generally be slower for the amount of traffic it has thus could have less people opt for to use it if either worked for their trip. MacArthur has more businesses at it and connects through to the south so has many more local users. Plus a large part of MacArthur's issue seems to be directly from long stop light timing and having several only a block away from each other, possibly not even talking to each other to at least maybe at least be a little more efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    The Rockwell bridge rarely seems like it has more than a few vehicles on it at the same time, so widening it does not seem likely to take much heat off MacArthur, plus being four lanes they might switch the south side to a traffic light which will generally be slower for the amount of traffic it has thus could have less people opt for to use it if either worked for their trip. MacArthur has more businesses at it and connects through to the south so has many more local users. Plus much of a large part of MacArthur's issue seems to be directly from long stop light timing and having several only a block away from each other, possibly not even talking to each other to at least maybe at least be a little more efficient.
    i really think it's a catch 22... because of the condition of the rockwell bridge, i typically avoid it in favor of MacArthur... i'm sure there are others that do the same.

19. Default Re: Rockwell and I-40

They just (finally) did some rehab of the intersection south of the Council bridge so i dont think they would be doing much more than they already have there. IF they do something, they need to fix the stupid I40 west off ram and the frontage road weird double side road junction as well as close off that small street just south of the stop light. There's so much semi truck traffic and it's always a nightmare with the way things flow. Semis constantly block Council pulling across from that second side street, making things worse.

Any updates on when this bridge will finally be done? I remember how quickly the Webbers Falls bridge on I-40 was completed. It can be done quickly when they want it done quickly.

21. Default Re: Rockwell and I-40

Quote Originally Posted by kallio View Post
    Any updates on when this bridge will finally be done? I remember how quickly the Webbers Falls bridge on I-40 was completed. It can be done quickly when they want it done quickly.
    I'm by there every day. The road and guard rails (walls?) have been done for a couple weeks or more. Now they're doing something to the underside around the center column and maybe the column itself. Not sure why they couldn't do it all simultaneously. I'm hoping they're getting close.

I feel like I saw somewhere the other day where this is supposed to be done in September, but I can't remember where I saw that. It's been going on way to long it seems.

23. Default Re: Rockwell and I-40

September would be my best guess. But it should have have been done weeks ago.

Thank you both! I need to work on my breathing exercises every time I go through that area, and looking for options such as 44 to 240 don’t help much of the time, when traveling west to east.

I would love to see a double turn lane off MacArthur onto I-40 east bound. It kind of already is now. Rockwell opening back up will help some but it's always been an issues.

Thread Information