Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kelly Ogle out of News 9

Default Re: Kelly Ogle out of News 9

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You have to wonder how much longer local TV news will even be around.

As it is, most of the interest is driven by weather but that is mainly due to older people choosing to get their information that way. Obviously, that is changing like everything else in news delivery.
    With political ad spending rocketing they have a lot of runway left

If I remember correctly, back when covid first hit, one of the older Ogles came down with it. I thought it was him, I also thought that when he came back on the air he still looks sick and run down, like he never fully recovered from it. Someone with a better memory, please check and see if I am correct. If so, maybe this could be part of why he was shown the door. If you cannot do your job, then you dont have a job.

3. Default Re: Kelly Ogle out of News 9

In Your Corner on Channel 4 is really good at stories and subsequent follow up stories. If it weren't for that I probably wouldn't watch the news.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    In Your Corner on Channel 4 is really good at stories and subsequent follow up stories. If it weren't for that I probably wouldn't watch the news.
    That segment has done good work, I just never have cared for the people they have doing this segment. Always seems like they are trying way to hard, but they do seem to be effective.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    I think you're absolutely right, Pete. For me, local television news was already falling out of my grace before Gary England was let go, but at that point I was already skipping the news and changing it over at 10:17 at night when his segment came on. Now we never have it on. His successor comes across so arrogant on TV I can't stand it, and I don't want to have a stroke brought on by his severe weather coverage. But as for the news, and I don't care really for any of the other traditional news either. I'd probably tune in to Michael Armstrong if he were a chief, but I don't even care about traditional local weather coverage anymore. When any weather of importance comes on, I get my information from an online local source that is pretty good IMO.
    Just wait until SpaceX makes a mobile version of Starlink terminals, pretty soon all these chasers/independent meteorologists will be able to transmit and receive data in real time and not to have to rely on choppy cell phone coverage when they are not in the city. Do viewers need to watch guys doom out on tv when they have a bunch of other people on the internet doing the same thing.

I was never a fan of Ogle, primarily in my two chance meetings with him in public spaces he was an absolute jerk. He would go out of his way to let you know how annoyed he was that he was recognized.

As for local news, Ch 9 is really the only option. The other stations simply parrot the news line of whatever big media outlet tells them to run. There's not much local journalism anymore.

He just announced, at the end of the 10PM news, that he won't be anchoring the news anymore. He said he's not retiring but nothing about what he will be doing. He said "It's not goodbye, It's 'See you soon'".

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    I was never a fan of Ogle, primarily in my two chance meetings with him in public spaces he was an absolute jerk. He would go out of his way to let you know how annoyed he was that he was recognized.
    I had the similar experiences a few times professionally back in the day. Each time I've been around him he was very pompous.

He "signed off" the desk last night, stating he's not retiring. It sounds to me that he still is under contract, but the company was ready for a change so they're letting him ride out his contract under a different assignment until it expires. Then he'll have a silent goodbye very reminiscent of Gary England.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    I had the similar experiences a few times professionally back in the day. Each time I've been around him he was very pompous.
    I saw him once at the state fair. I was almost to the front of the cinnamon roll line of probably 40+ people. Ogle strolled straight to the front of the line and cut everyone to purchase a dozen. He just said he didn't have time to wait. Such an ass. They should have fired him 10 years ago. He can barely make it through a broadcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    not agreeing or disagreeing with your point, but kwtv won a regional emmy for their coverage. Watch | Facebook
    Jim Gardner had to apologize for the numerous slanderous comments he made during the broadcast, some of which bordered on racism.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Jim Gardner had to apologize for the numerous slanderous comments he made during the broadcast, some of which bordered on racism.
    What's with that station? Last year we had insurection fanboy Alan Broerse fired after leaving sympathetic comments on the Canadian County Mountie facebook page.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I recall he was suspended for a couple weeks, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cindycat View Post
    He just announced, at the end of the 10PM news, that he won't be anchoring the news anymore. He said he's not retiring but nothing about what he will be doing. He said "It's not goodbye, It's 'See you soon'".
    Maybe channel 5 or 25 will want him.

Blog Entries

Maybe he will do podcasts with Louis Fowler on The Lost Ogle…..

It always seems odd to me when 'famous' people are rude when recognized in public, given that, well, they are apt to be recognized. I wonder if it shows a truer glimpse of their particular personality. A few weeks back I saw Mike Turpen in public, and recognized him (I didn't speak, just noticed who he was) and he went out of his way to smile and say hello.

Quote Originally Posted by wunderkind View Post
    It always seems odd to me when 'famous' people are rude when recognized in public, given that, well, they are apt to be recognized. I wonder if it shows a truer glimpse of their particular personality. A few weeks back I saw Mike Turpen in public, and recognized him (I didn't speak, just noticed who he was) and he went out of his way to smile and say hello.
    Depends on the scenario, of course, but I think people who are jerks and become famous enough to get recognized in public are just recognizable jerks, and same goes for people who are courteous and kind. Mike Turpen has always been very gracious any time I've interacted with him, and I'm nobody. Barry Switzer comes to mind, as well.

17. Default Re: Kelly Ogle out of News 9

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    Depends on the scenario, of course, but I think people who are jerks and become famous enough to get recognized in public are just recognizable jerks, and same goes for people who are courteous and kind. Mike Turpen has always been very gracious any time I've interacted with him, and I'm nobody. Barry Switzer comes to mind, as well.
    I completely agree with Barry Switzer. I've ran into him a couple of times when out having a beer. He's been friendly and seems to love talking to anybody about OU football. One of my favorite subjects. I've also run into Chad Stevens that used to do car commercials a number of times. Every time he was a loud, pompous, obnoxious, a-hole.

HangryHippo Guest

I’ve run into Switzer a few times as well and every time he’s been gracious and very fun to talk to.

I had the opportunity to sit down with The King a few years ago, and I brought up some stuff he worked on with my dad (not related to football at all), and he remembered a bunch of stuff. For as many people as he meets and has met, to be able to at least make me feel like he and I connected on something is something I'll never forget. Billy Tubbs was at the same event, and he could not have been any nicer. Just a calm, cool, nice dude, and his son, Tommy, was terrific, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I completely agree with Barry Switzer. I've ran into him a couple of times when out having a beer. He's been friendly and seems to love talking to anybody about OU football. One of my favorite subjects. I've also run into Chad Stevens that used to do car commercials a number of times. Every time he was a loud, pompous, obnoxious, a-hole.
    Wow Chad Stevens. I'd forgotten about him (thankfully so). I have family and friends who just adored him on the commercials, but not me. Nothing personal, I just didn't care for him. It's been years and years since he's been on tv, I think, and I haven't missed him at all. But, what is he up to nowadays?

A Mike Turpin story: In the mid 80s, I'm in my mid 20s working a blue collar job where I had my name on my uniform. Going to a lunch appointment, I am riding down the elevator in the Santa Fe Parking Garage with 2 suits (strangers), when on level 3, Mike Turpin (recognize him from TV) and another suit get on. Suits introduce to suits and I'm awkward stranger when, a few seconds later, Turpin glances at my uniform and says "Jeff, how you doing? Mike Turpin".

I have always voted for him since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    A Mike Turpin story: In the mid 80s, I'm in my mid 20s working a blue collar job where I had my name on my uniform. Going to a lunch appointment, I am riding down the elevator in the Santa Fe Parking Garage with 2 suits (strangers), when on level 3, Mike Turpin (recognize him from TV) and another suit get on. Suits introduce to suits and I'm awkward stranger when, a few seconds later, Turpin glances at my uniform and says "Jeff, how you doing? Mike Turpin".

I have always voted for him since then.
    Haha, just a random everyday elevator ride for him, but something you'll always remember. I love stuff like that.

Blog Entries

I have a Switzer story. I was in high school in Tulsa in the mid 80s at a football game walking the track between the home and visitor stands. Barry was walking the other way, waving and saying hi to students. He was there on a recruiting visit and seemed quite nice. What stuck with me was that he was wearing a full length mink duster coat.

I've run into him since when I lived in Norman, but I will never forget that coat.

24. Default Re: Kelly Ogle out of News 9

I saw Barry at Tarahumara in Norman one evening and expected him to get the star treatment but he just ordered a drink and waited out on the patio with the rest of us for a table.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    I saw Barry at Tarahumara in Norman one evening and expected him to get the star treatment but he just ordered a drink and waited out on the patio with the rest of us for a table.
    Barry is not pretentious at all. The last time I saw him in person is on a flight from DFW to OKC. He was in coach class just a couple of rows in front of me. There is no doubt he could afford to buy out all of the first class seats if he wanted to.

Thread Information