Widgets Magazine

Thread: Best Buy

Large Chain Best Buy

The Best Buy at 2135 W. Memorial is planning a big remodel.

Building permits show $1.7 million not including fixtures and equipment.

Will also upgrade the storefront and some other exterior elements.

Default Re: Best Buy

Wow they just did a big remodel not that long ago right?

Wasn't that Best Buy a Target years ago??

4. Default Re: Best Buy

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    Wasn't that Best Buy a Target years ago??
    Now that you mention it, yes. When I first moved to OKC (1995), that building was a Target for the first few years until the Super Target was built nearby.

This has been a Best Buy since at least 2007, probably longer than that.

This store is usually pretty busy. Parking lot is near 100% through the holidays.

6. Default Re: Best Buy

Quote Originally Posted by OKCDrummer77 View Post
    Now that you mention it, yes. When I first moved to OKC (1995), that building was a Target for the first few years until the Super Target was built nearby.
    Hold up, no…that Target at NW Expressway is the original May Avenue Target, or at least it was when I moved here in ‘86. When it was expanded (same location) the remodel occurred with the store open, much like the most recent remodel.

The Best Buy is in a building that was purpose-built (the entire center) in the late 80s on the razed site of another big retailer (I can’t recall the name but pretty sure it was much-loved) that appeared in (I think) the 60s. There’s a thread about that store somewhere here on OKCTalk.

I think the Best Buy appeared circa 1989 or 1990. I bought my first portable CD player there circa 1990 or 91.

7. Default Re: Best Buy

I may be mis-remembering some of those dates by a year or two, but I don’t think by much

8. Default Re: Best Buy

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Hold up, no…that Target at NW Expressway is the original May Avenue Target, or at least it was when I moved here in ‘86. When it was expanded (same location) the remodel occurred with the store open, much like the most recent remodel.

The Best Buy is in a building that was purpose-built (the entire center) in the late 80s on the razed site of another big retailer (I can’t recall the name but pretty sure it was much-loved) that appeared in (I think) the 60s. There’s a thread about that store somewhere here on OKCTalk.

I think the Best Buy appeared circa 1989 or 1990. I bought my first portable CD player there circa 1990 or 91.
    Are we talking about the same stores? I was referring to the Super Target at Penn & Memorial. The Best Buy near that location is in a building that used to be Target prior to the opening of Super Target.

Your reference to the May & Expressway Target makes me think you're referring to the Best Buy at NW 59th & May.

9. Default Re: Best Buy

^^^^^^^
    Well crap. Ignore everything I just posted haha. This whole time I thought we were talking about the Best Buy at 59th and May, until going back upthread. I was confused…carry on. :

Is Best Buy even still relevant? I remember back in the day I would go there all the time, especially looking for CDs and car stereos to install in mine and my friends' cars. I can't say I've been inside one in years. I guess they are relevant if they're doing a makeover. And now that I think about it, I have ordered a few items from their website over the last few years. It is nice to see them not folding to the likes of Circuit City or Service Merchandise for not evolving with the times. LOL, just thinking out loud over coffee early on a Sunday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    Is Best Buy even still relevant? I remember back in the day I would go there all the time, especially looking for CDs and car stereos to install in mine and my friends' cars. I can't say I've been inside one in years. I guess they are relevant if they're doing a makeover. And now that I think about it, I have ordered a few items from their website over the last few years. It is nice to see them not folding to the likes of Circuit City or Service Merchandise for not evolving with the times. LOL, just thinking out loud over coffee early on a Sunday morning.
    I have a Best Buy credit card, so if I need to make a big purchase, it's nice to have them there. I never go in and wander the aisles anymore, unless I'm waiting to pick something up or just plain have time to kill. The shopping experience is pleasant enough, I'm just spoiled by online shopping. At the same time, I'm a sucker for instant gratification, so I'm thankful there are still a few stores around.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ^^^^^^^
    Well crap. Ignore everything I just posted haha. This whole time I thought we were talking about the Best Buy at 59th and May, until going back upthread. I was confused…carry on. :
    I recall the NW Expressway/May/59th area as---Best Buy is built on the Founders Fair complex from early/mid 1960s, and Target was originally Arlan's around 1968.

And Memorial Best Buy was originally a Target location.

13. Default Re: Best Buy

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I recall the NW Expressway/May/59th area as---Best Buy is built on the Founders Fair complex from early/mid 1960s, and Target was originally Arlan's around 1968.

And Memorial Best Buy was originally a Target location.
    Founder’s Fair! Thank you!

14. Default Re: Best Buy

I've gone before to make sure a monitor looked good before I bought it online.

Yes, it's also great for that stuff. Or when I need an external hard drive quickly, or want to feel if a mouse or keyboard feels good, etc.

Is Best Buy even still relevant?
    I used to ask the same question, but I've found them more relevant in the past few years than I did over a decade ago, and that's primarily because they and other retailers caught up to Amazon and in many ways surpassed them with curbside delivery, home delivery, shipping to store, improved apps for in-store shopping, and being able to handle the item before purchasing (an important quality with the amount of counterfeit items on Amazon). I canceled my Amazon Prime subscription and returned to standard retail because of the improvements to my local retailers.

Quote Originally Posted by dhpersonal View Post
    I used to ask the same question, but I've found them more relevant in the past few years than I did over a decade ago, and that's primarily because they and other retailers caught up to Amazon and in many ways surpassed them with curbside delivery, home delivery, shipping to store, improved apps for in-store shopping, and being able to handle the item before purchasing (an important quality with the amount of counterfeit items on Amazon). I canceled my Amazon Prime subscription and returned to standard retail because of the improvements to my local retailers.
    +1

I still keep my Prime sub but I use brick and mortor stores way more.

They probably clawed back some relevance when Amazon started charging sales tax. Between that and PM'ing Amazon only advantage Amazon would have is convenience.

Thread Information