Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Default Re: 2022 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by therhett17 View Post
    I wonder what effects the Frontier/Spirit merger will have on OKC (if any)?
    Means I’ll only have to avoid one airline instead of two now, lmao.

2. Default Re: 2022 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Side note: I stumbled on this website and have been addicted since. Interactive direct flight connections from every airport in the world. click on start city then destination city and it shows what airline, frequency, ect. Pretty cool to see who flies where and direct flight access from random cities. My biggest take is that Memphis used to be a machine, now it's very pedestrian. I think overall OKC has good access to most parts of the country. LHR is a machine

https://www.flightconnections.com/

Frontier and Spirit merging.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/frontie...d=hp_lead_pos1

In theory more scale equals more capacity to expand

Edit: Technically Frontier buying Spirit, but Frontier will be 51.5% so it's closer to merger.

Not sure if I should ask this on this thread or if a new one is needed. Anyone know where to ask about general aviation questions? I am wondering about private air strips. I have a question about them and just want to know who governs them or makes rules about them. I am not an aviation type. This has to do with building next to one. Hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    Not sure if I should ask this on this thread or if a new one is needed. Anyone know where to ask about general aviation questions? I am wondering about private air strips. I have a question about them and just want to know who governs them or makes rules about them. I am not an aviation type. This has to do with building next to one. Hoping someone could point me in the right direction.
    Not entirely the right thread, but it's good. I'd start with the Oklahoma Aeronautics Commission. Also, all airstrips have to have FAA approval, public or private. If it's in a city and some Oklahoma counties, it might have zoning around it that has airport requirements integrated (height and use restrictions, etc.).

Thank you RichardatRemax.
    This is an excellent tool. I have been batting flights schedule to find which airlines fly on which day.
    This helps immensely. I won’t have to waste as much time on Allegiant or Southwest web sites.

8. Default Re: 2022 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...mestic-routes/
    United dropping IAD and EWR from OKC. One more reason I continue to be pushed more and more to American for the vast majority of my flying. All United will have, in this era when most airlines are flying close to their 2019 domestic numbers, is DEN, IAH, and ORD. Someone tell me why they need all those gates?

9. Default Re: 2022 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

I was wondering where the EWR flight went. Was planning a trip to NJ and didn't want to have to fly into LGA via AA.

HangryHippo Guest

That sucks.

Unfortunately, more proof OKC is more minor league than major league. Won't be long before Tulsa has more connections than OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Unfortunately, more proof OKC is more minor league than major league. Won't be long before Tulsa has more connections than OKC.
    As OKC has 1/3 more passenger than Tulsa, I wont go that far.

Anyway, it is annoying the United cuts these flight. I saw about Dulles but not EWR so I still have hope.

lol

Quote Originally Posted by amocore View Post
    As OKC has 1/3 more passenger than Tulsa, I wont go that far.

Anyway, it is annoying the United cuts these flight. I saw about Dulles but not EWR so I still have hope.
    I said connections, not passengers.

OKC isn't going to be gaining any new connections anytime soon. Tulsa still has plenty they can gain. I wanted OKC to get Boston or JFK. Losing Newark means those likely won't happen. I don't know how OKC lost DC, but that is disheartening.

Not sure where OKC can look for new additions.

15. Default Re: 2022 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

United continues to downgauge its equipment from OKC as there are now multiple E145s added to the schedule to/from IAH. They really are trying everything they can to dissuade me from continuing all of my business travel with them.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by s00nr1 View Post
    United continues to downgauge its equipment from OKC as there are now multiple E145s added to the schedule to/from IAH. They really are trying everything they can to dissuade me from continuing all of my business travel with them.
    Those planes are miserable. Looks like it’s back to AA and Delta (which also mostly sucks out of OKC).

OKC isn't going to be gaining any new connections anytime soon. Tulsa still has plenty they can gain. I wanted OKC to get Boston or JFK. Losing Newark means those likely won't happen. I don't know how OKC lost DC, but that is disheartening.

For people who are actually flying to or from DC, United isn't nearly as good an option as American or Southwest on their nonstops to DCA. It's really only convenient for those who are not going into DC or those who want international connections.

Disappointing to see United end IAD and EWR from both OKC and TUL. I was hoping at least EWR could come back as that was served from both cities for many years.

19. Default Re: 2022 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

dont whet your shorts about this, its only ONE airline that is not even a top 3 carrier in OKC who is dropping one (or two) secondary hub cities. OKC could still add BOS and/or JFK from airlines that are expanding in OKC - AA and DL, and even perhaps AS or the entry of Jetblue. Definitely was never going to be OKC-BOS or OKC-JFK on United.

United is downsizing in OKC, not everybody else - in fact, who are upgauging and adding. I seriously doubt Tulsa would overtake OKC in pax or connections, they'd need NW Arkansas, Stillwater, and Wichita traffic to make a serious go at it and all of them have their own airports. If United is downsizing in OKC (as they are in many other cities) I also seriously doubt they start adding in Tulsa as a result.

Now I must admit I am very disappointed in United; no return of SFO or LAX, and losing IAD and potentially EWR? And to top it off, downgrading equipment to the 3 major hubs as well. WTH is going on with the friendly skies?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

20. Default Re: 2022 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    For people who are actually flying to or from DC, United isn't nearly as good an option as American or Southwest on their nonstops to DCA. It's really only convenient for those who are not going into DC or those who want international connections.
    This is accurate, I admit. Though I hate to see the service go. I only ever used non-stops to IAD and EWR for DC and NYC trips when we did not have non-stop service to DCA and LGA. I will clearly use those going forward. But I have used both IAD and EWR on European trips (even if the EWR flight wasn't always timed very good, United had good flights from there). So for European connections this is bad, but not for local service, which AA has covered. But we still don't have service to the SFO area on any carrier. I hope that's the first hub that United brings back.

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    This is accurate, I admit. Though I hate to see the service go. I only ever used non-stops to IAD and EWR for DC and NYC trips when we did not have non-stop service to DCA and LGA. I will clearly use those going forward. But I have used both IAD and EWR on European trips (even if the EWR flight wasn't always timed very good, United had good flights from there). So for European connections this is bad, but not for local service, which AA has covered. But we still don't have service to the SFO area on any carrier. I hope that's the first hub that United brings back.
    Ideally an airport the size of OKC (and even TUL) should have non-stops to SFO, IAD, EWR as well as DCA and LGA. These are some of the largest markets in the U.S.

Blog Entries

Serious question, why is LGA favored over JFK? Both are in Queens, but I find transit integration and getting to the other boroughs easier from JFK.

23. Default Re: 2022 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Serious question, why is LGA favored over JFK? Both are in Queens, but I find transit integration and getting to the other boroughs easier from JFK.
    Closest to the heart of Manhattan

Blog Entries

Um, physically closer, sure, but there is NO directly connected subway at LGA (or intuitive way to get to the subway). To get to Manhattan, you either have to get a Taxi/Uber/Lyft, or take a bus to the closest subway station and then take the subway to Manhattan. Transit wise that's an hour-ish to central park (total time depends on where in Manhattan you're going obvs).

At JFK, there's a train station (Air Train) that connects to every terminal, and you just take the air train to the the subway station and transfer to the A train which goes to Manhattan. Still an hour-ish, but MUCH simpler/more intuitive, especially with luggage.

Thread Information