Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213

Thread: 2022 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Default Re: 2022 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

We will soon be at Tulsa's level, in terms of destinations. Yay for thr new leadership!

2. Default Re: 2022 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by amocore View Post
    The OKC to SFO is officailly cut, not just suspended.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...s-drop-cities/
    Well crap. Every time I flew the route it was full and even overbooked sometimes. United is such a joke in OKC right now. I hope Catch is right that all these plane deliveries will trickle down to OKC.

3. Default Re: 2022 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by amocore View Post
    The OKC to SFO is officailly cut, not just suspended.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...s-drop-cities/
    And even cities much larger than OKC are losing SFO service--Detroit and St. Louis! Wow. And EUG (great airport alternative to PDX btw, used it this summer) lost both LAX and ORD! Tough day for that little airport.

I feel like a Bay Area connection is as important as NYC if OKC/TUL are to be any kind of emerging tech hubs. United to SFO makes the most sense but Alaska could be an option for OKC. Also Southwest to OAK which is their largest west coast hub outside of LAS and PHX.

Seems like a good place for the airport/city to subsidize a route.

It ran for what, 10 years? It didn't last that long because it lost money. I would say it is a route that is a matter of when not if, it will return.

SFO as a whole really needs Asia traffic to recover.

6. Default Re: 2022 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    I feel like a Bay Area connection is as important as NYC if OKC/TUL are to be any kind of emerging tech hubs. United to SFO makes the most sense but Alaska could be an option for OKC. Also Southwest to OAK which is their largest west coast hub outside of LAS and PHX.

Seems like a good place for the airport/city to subsidize a route.
    Agreed. WN to OAK seems like the most likely after UA's exit from SFO. It could provide some connectivity, too, to smaller PNW markets like Bellingham, Eugene and all of the Hawaii stations they serve from there. That'd be a nice pickup for OKC.

7. Default Re: 2022 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Alaska to the Bay Area would be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    We will soon be at Tulsa's level, in terms of destinations. Yay for thr new leadership!
    This is in no way related to the new leadership...

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    At a certain point, it is. Other airports OKC's size aren't losing routes left and right. OKC has lost SFO, Baltimore, I don't know if the Nashville flights have ever even gotten off the ground. No hope on the horizon for new routes. Just kind of sucks. I was hoping the new gates would be a boon for the airport, but that hope is gone.

At a certain point, it is. Other airports OKC's size aren't losing routes left and right. OKC has lost SFO, Baltimore, I don't know if the Nashville flights have ever even gotten off the ground. No hope on the horizon for new routes. Just kind of sucks. I was hoping the new gates would be a boon for the airport, but that hope is gone.
    Oklahoma City is hardly losing nonstop flights left and right and I'm curious about what king of research you did about nonstop flights that other airport may have lost. Can you share that? You are overlooking nonstop flights OKC has gained, such as Austin. Southwest no longer flies nonstop to BWI but does nonstop to DCA, which is more significant. Southwest also has a weekly nonstop flight to BNA. The number of gates at Will Rogers has zero to do with having nonstop flights so I'm not sure what you mean by that. Nonstop flights are strictly a dollars and cents issue for the airlines.

There have been no policy changes that impact an airline’s profitability or operational integrity under new leadership. Any perceived lack of expansion, or lack of attention by the airlines is purely coincidental or strictly forced by market conditions.

The post pandemic travel demand is going to be different than pre, and airline strategies and resources will be different than before as well. This is a very strange time with a lot of unknowns that are only just now being figured out. Route maps won’t look the same. Routes the worked before might not now, and vice versa. It’s an exciting time to watch, but is filled with plenty of frustrations. Airlines are hit with a never before seen problem before of healthy demand, but limited resources. Usually it’s the opposite: lay-offs and flying money losing routes just to keep the payroll moving and aircraft utilized.

United is also cutting service from SFO to STL and DTW, which are 2 cities that are much larger than OKC.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...50e0b6d929b500

"The Best and Worst US Airports for Cheap International Flights in 2022"

https://scottscheapflights.com/guide...-cheap-flights

OKC ranked 5th worst for deals to travel internationally by connection to the larger hubs. The article does mention DFW just being a short drive away, figuratively speaking, for international travel deals.

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    United is also cutting service from SFO to STL and DTW, which are 2 cities that are much larger than OKC.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...50e0b6d929b500
    This just proves how awful OKC’s new leadership really is. They’re sabotaging STL and DTW’s routes as well

One common theme of all of these are that they are relatively long routes which eat up precious crew resources and aircraft time. I’m surprised it didn’t happen sooner, honestly.

16. Default Re: 2022 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

I didn't see it mentioned but United is also is suspending JFK service. This is far from just an OKC reduction.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I didn't see it mentioned but United is also is suspending JFK service. This is far from just an OKC reduction.
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/02/busin...ded/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    UA is a mess. Has 0 to do with OKC's leadership.

"Of all the U.S. airlines, United has been one of the most aggressive about pulling out of unprofitable cities amid a nationwide pilot shortage. The airline has dropped service to over 25 cities, as it looks to balance supply (airplanes and pilots) with demand (ticket sales)."

I'm sorry you're so emotional about this, but your emotions aren't matching reality.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Why would OKC leaders fail us like this

Thread Information