Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FCC still exist?

Default FCC still exist?

I’m breezing through some channels recently (pop, sci-fi) and I’m hear the word f*k being used very liberally on both channels and full female nudity on one (not smudged out). These are not pay channels like hbo but package cable channels.

What’s going on?

Default Re: FCC still exist?

I think the only channels that fall under FCC rules are the most “basic” basic cable package ( local channels and the like). I’m not sure where ESPN, Weather and news channels fit. But that is the tier that must follow FCC rules, due to the cable operator’s franchise agreement with the city.

I’m pretty sure Pop and SyFy are on a “ tier” that costs extra, so compliance with rules regarding language and nudity are voluntary and business decisions.

The FCC only has jurisdiction over terrestrial television and radio. If you are offended by content on a non over the air station you can complain to the advertisers.

Ok, ourside of the FCC then I think it's bizarre. Last night there was some superhero movie clearly designed for young people with copious amounts of F*k usage every 30 seconds or so. Then after that, the movie Aliens comes on with all severe curse words bleeped out.

The worst is that it's in the ads now, too. Watching something innocuous like The Voice and there are ads for terrifying movies, ads with bi*ch, piss, hell, etc. I'm no prude, but dang I'd like to not have to worry about all the ads, on top of what show is on.

One of the other reasons I don't watch live TV much anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleChicken View Post
    Ok, ourside of the FCC then I think it's bizarre. Last night there was some superhero movie clearly designed for young people with copious amounts of F*k usage every 30 seconds or so. Then after that, the movie Aliens comes on with all severe curse words bleeped out.
    Designed for young people? What move was this?

Federal law prohibits obscene, indecent and profane content from being broadcast on the radio or TV. That may seem clear enough, but determining what obscene, indecent and profane mean can be difficult, depending on who you talk to.

Obscene content does not have protection by the First Amendment. For content to be ruled obscene, it must meet a three-pronged test established by the Supreme Court: It must appeal to an average person's prurient interest; depict or describe sexual conduct in a "patently offensive" way; and, taken as a whole, lack serious literary, artistic, political or scientific value.

Indecent content portrays sexual or excretory organs or activities in a way that is patently offensive but does not meet the three-prong test for obscenity.

Profane content includes "grossly offensive" language that is considered a public nuisance.

Broadcasting obscene content is prohibited by law at all times of the day. Indecent and profane content are prohibited on broadcast TV and radio between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m., when there is a reasonable risk that children may be in the audience.

Because obscenity is not protected by the First Amendment, it is prohibited on cable, satellite and broadcast TV and radio. However, the same rules for indecency and profanity do not apply to cable, satellite TV and satellite radio because they are subscription services.

Quote Originally Posted by fortpatches View Post
    Federal law prohibits obscene, indecent and profane content from being broadcast on the radio or TV. That may seem clear enough, but determining what obscene, indecent and profane mean can be difficult, depending on who you talk to.

Obscene content does not have protection by the First Amendment. For content to be ruled obscene, it must meet a three-pronged test established by the Supreme Court: It must appeal to an average person's prurient interest; depict or describe sexual conduct in a "patently offensive" way; and, taken as a whole, lack serious literary, artistic, political or scientific value.

Indecent content portrays sexual or excretory organs or activities in a way that is patently offensive but does not meet the three-prong test for obscenity.

Profane content includes "grossly offensive" language that is considered a public nuisance.

Broadcasting obscene content is prohibited by law at all times of the day. Indecent and profane content are prohibited on broadcast TV and radio between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m., when there is a reasonable risk that children may be in the audience.

Because obscenity is not protected by the First Amendment, it is prohibited on cable, satellite and broadcast TV and radio. However, the same rules for indecency and profanity do not apply to cable, satellite TV and satellite radio because they are subscription services.
    All of that applies to terrestrial stations that broadcast over the public airwaves. It doesn't apply to TBS, ESPN, or other cable exclusive outlets
    Offended? Cease watching non terestrial stations or use your channel selector/or off button.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    my assumption just based upon the information is Deadpool

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    All of that applies to terrestrial stations. It doesn't apply to TBS, ESPN, or other cable exclusive outlets
    Offended? Cease watching non terestrial stations or use your channel selector/or off button.
    exactly, and most of these put restrictions based upon time on them. like i know comedy central will not say the f-word until after i think 10pm eastern. and like i know when "The Expanse" was on SYFY, it would be bleeped during the normal airing, but if you caught the late airing at 10pm central, it would say the f word, but the creators of the show said that it was strange because the SYFY rules were they would not allow them to say it, if they said more than 3 F words per hour of running time.

All of that applies to terrestrial stations that broadcast over the public airwaves. It doesn't apply to TBS, ESPN, or other cable exclusive outlets
    amazing so many don't understand what "broadcast" means ..

It is plausible they did not make a version of Aliens that did not have curse words bleeped out or it just costs more to air. Either of which also would have given more reason to buy the original version on tape (later dvd and now download or subscription) decades ago when that would have been made.

Blog Entries

It always amazes me that the people that are so upset with language never mention violence.

I'm not making any kind of judgement about the original poster or the original movie discussed, but I think there's a lot of selective pearl clutching out there. A movie could have 10 murders in the first five minutes but heaven forbid there is a foul word spoken.

Our former president used - shall we say "off-color" language in many a political rally which I knew threw the broadcast networks into a bind.

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    I'm not making any kind of judgement about the original poster or the original movie discussed, but I think there's a lot of selective pearl clutching out there. A movie could have 10 murders in the first five minutes but heaven forbid there is a foul word spoken. ....
    Or even worse - a boob shown!

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    I had to look it up. It’s called “Kick Ass”.

Yeah, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    I'm not making any kind of judgement about the original poster or the original movie discussed, but I think there's a lot of selective pearl clutching out there. A movie could have 10 murders in the first five minutes but heaven forbid there is a foul word spoken.

Our former president used - shall we say "off-color" language in many a political rally which I knew threw the broadcast networks into a bind.
    Yeah, this is grade school logic. Well he said it so I can say it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    It always amazes me that the people that are so upset with language never mention violence.
    Yeah no kidding. The amount of people especially in Oklahoma who get their panties in a wad over curse words is comical. Hell I've even had people on this site message me to ask me not to use profanity that I remove a letter from to get past the site's filter. People need to grow up.

I had to look it up. It’s called “Kick Ass”.
    That is an R rated film and is absolutely not "designed for young people" unless by "young people" we mean folks in their 20's and 30's. Most Mark Millar comics (of which this is adapted from) are not kid appropriate.

10 years ago I understand people not getting this (like when Watchmen came out), but at this point we've had multiple R rated super hero movies. It's just a genre and like any other genre that are some things which are not intended for children. This is like folks who assume that anything that is animated is for children.

Now whether it's appropriate for Syfy or other non-premium cable channels to be airing unedited? Well, I'd guess that's a business decision for them, since it wouldn't fall under any regulatory stuff. Certainly things have shifted on what is considered appropriate on these channels. I remember when South Park got the green light to use the "S" word, and they had an entire episode counting the number of times they used it. Now I've noticed that certain network shows will use the word routinely.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Yeah no kidding. The amount of people especially in Oklahoma who get their panties in a wad over curse words is comical. Hell I've even had people on this site message me to ask me not to use profanity that I remove a letter from to get past the site's filter. People need to grow up.
    While I have no problem with profanity, and it certainly doesn't bother me, Pete has established the site rules, and there's a certain standard he's trying to maintain (I assume) by having those standards. IMO, using little tricks to get around that filter is neither mature nor respectful of the site.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    While I have no problem with profanity, and it certainly doesn't bother me, Pete has established the site rules, and there's a certain standard he's trying to maintain (I assume) by having those standards. IMO, using little tricks to get around that filter is neither mature nor respectful of the site.
    Yeah I am calling bull. It's not disrespectful or immature and the blocking is more likely to do with not wanting blatant profanity being used. It really isn't explicit given the fact the actual word isn't spelled out. That's like saying it's inappropriate to say Mother effer given I am technically going around the rules because I really mean the other word. I've used it multiple times and never been told not do it. Just a couple messages from two other posters asking me not to. I've not ever seen that on other forum sites. Just pointing out an observation.

bahaha yes.... that is what I said....
    Not offended in the slightest. Just providing context and definitions used by the FCC.

The last line of my post was:
    > Because obscenity is not protected by the First Amendment, it is prohibited on cable, satellite and broadcast TV and radio. However, the same rules for indecency and profanity do not apply to cable, satellite TV and satellite radio because they are subscription services.

I’m pretty sure the Supreme Court has ruled profanity use in public is protected by the first amendment. Obscenity? Well that much more vague. I guess using cuss words isn’t enough but if you start making sexually charged remarks then that seems obscene.

25. Default Re: FCC still exist?

One of the funniest bits ever was George Carlin's "Seven Words You Can't Say On TV". Boy, we have come a looong way since then.

Thread Information