Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FCC still exist?

Default Re: FCC still exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    One of the funniest bits ever was George Carlin's "Seven Words You Can't Say On TV". Boy, we have come a looong way since then.
    It's interesting though how the cartoons seem to have been more violent in the past. More obscene language and less violence for cartoons today.

Worse things on the internet than TV. There are options for parents to block these shows from their kids just like there are internet filters. FCC's job should be similar to FDA in this regard, just make sure shows are rated appropriately.

^

Right, just about every cable and streaming service have ways that households can screen out profane content.

Usually, they have the ability to set up different profiles which are controlled by the bill-payer.

In other words, parents can easily block content -- both TV and internet -- from their kids if they desire.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Right, just about every cable and streaming service have ways that households can screen out profane content.

Usually, they have the ability to set up different profiles which are controlled by the bill-payer.

In other words, parents can easily block content -- both TV and internet -- from their kids if they desire.
    Yeah, the internet is a whole other story. I'm just saying I shouldn't expect to watch programming and see ads for content that is rated any higher than the content I've chosen to watch.

I mean, if I'm watching Law and Order at 9pm, I expect to see pretty much anything on the screen, whether programming or ads. The ads I see during Wheel of Fortune at 6:30 or 7pm shouldn't be for content any more mature than Wheel of Fortune.

I have done zero thinking about this and I'm probably missing an obvious reason this is a dumb take. But there are parents that want to filter some of the stuff with minimal effort, and I don't think having some kind of family hour or two is a bad thing.

If you are interested in profanity in public, the answer here is a nice write-up.
    https://law.stackexchange.com/a/790/432

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    One of the funniest bits ever was George Carlin's "Seven Words You Can't Say On TV". Boy, we have come a looong way since then.

Thread Information