Widgets Magazine

Thread: James E. Stewart Golf Course

Northeast OKC James E. Stewart Golf Course

This project is nearing completion (the drone photo below is old; meant to post this a long time ago; the dirt moving to the west is for the NE Youth Center).

$4 M
    Miles Associates

The James E. Stewart Golf Course is known as an excellent 9-hole course, near downtown OKC, offering a full-service restaurant and exceptional value. The existing Clubhouse occupies the south end of the existing Douglass Park Recreation Center. The building is deteriorating and is not suitable for renovation. This building will be demolished shortly after the new clubhouse is occupied. The new clubhouse will be approximately 6,778 Square Feet with an additional 1,000 Square Foot patio/deck. The Clubhouse design is intended to encourage growth in the number of new golfers, specifically youth. The design of the new James E. Stewart Clubhouse is based on the Schematic Design presented to and approved by the Oklahoma City Golf Commission. Included will be providing parking for 75 cars, creation of a Park Entry sign , general landscaping and associated site work, new concrete cart paths connecting to the existing paths and cart storage building and demolition of the existing Recreation Center.

Design:
    The new James E. Stewart Clubhouse will be sited on the north edge of Douglass Park, close to the 9th Hole and 1st Tee. The building will be set at a 45˚ angle to maximize the views of the course, and to provide optimum sun profiles, reducing heat gain. Vehicular access utilizes the existing curb-cut, leading to the 75-car parking lot, with drop-off and loading lanes. The design concept calls for high, open public spaces, with panoramic views of the course. It will have a warm and inviting feel, with utilitarian and pleasing finishes. The main entry opens into the Pro Shop and control counter, with immediate access to the Women’s and Men’s Locker Rooms, and the cart parking area outside. The restaurant and shaded dining patio are served by a full-service kitchen. The staff offices are centrally located to provide efficient functioning. The construction will consist of concrete slab-on-grade, steel framing with open-web steel joists, and laminated wood beams with exposed wood deck ceilings in the high public spaces.

2. Default Re: James E. Stewart Golf Course

This little 9 hole municipal course has made some pretty big strides over the last few years.... A group of us from my office play there every Thursday night for about the last 10 years and it's a nice little course to get in 9 after work.

A couple of seasons ago I think they must have brought in a new groundskeeper because they've been doing a stellar job of taking care of this course for what it is.

More importantly it's one of just a handful of 9 hole courses left in the area.

Default Re: James E. Stewart Golf Course

I'd like to see just one pitch n putt par 3 course.

4. Default Re: James E. Stewart Golf Course

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I'd like to see just one pitch n putt par 3 course.
    Not like the ones where you can just walk on carrying 2 clubs and a putter but the first 2 listed here you don't need much beyond a 9 Iron

http://www.pebblecreekgolfok.com/
    https://www.golfpass.com/travel-advi...ll-golf-course

There is also the 9 hole course in Midwest City, which was in really nice shape last time I was there, but it has three Par 4's on it.

https://www.golfpass.com/travel-advi...urse#scorecard

The new James E. Stewart clubhouse is now open (the NE Youth Center is under construction in the background of the first photo):

That looks great, I'm glad to see resources being dedicated to our local courses.

It's super nice considering it's a small course.

Really looking forward to the Earlywine and Hefner makeovers; the new facility at Lincoln is aweseome.

Wow! This looks awesome! Can't wait to see it in person.
    I love that OKC is investing in their public courses.

James Stewart is a great course to grab a quick 9 holes if you don't have a full day to play.

Press release:

Grand opening set for new clubhouse at James E. Stewart Golf Course, April 8
    04/07/2022

The community is invited to the grand opening for the new clubhouse at James E Stewart Golf Course at 1 p.m. April 8. The clubhouse is located at 928 Frederick Douglass Circle.

Speakers for the grand opening include Mayor David Holt, Ward 7 Councilwoman Nikki Nice and Golf Commission Chairman Mike Cassady.

The contemporary, 6,780-square-foot clubhouse features a full-service restaurant, pro shop, men’s and women’s locker rooms with showers, an extensive patio with outdoor seating and art and memorabilia commemorating James E Stewart’s life.

New golf carts round out the improvements.

James E. Stewart served in World War II as a non-commissioned officer in the United States Marine Corps, worked 20 years at Oklahoma Natural Gas and was president of the Oklahoma City branch of the NAACP for 17 years. To honor his contributions to Oklahoma City, the golf course, previously named Douglass Golf Course, was renamed in Stewart’s honor in 1999.

Located three miles east of downtown, James E. Stewart Golf Course offers golfers an opportunity to play nine holes during their lunch break, after work and during the weekend.

The $3.8 million clubhouse was paid for through the Better Streets Safer City bond program passed by voters in 2017.

10. Default Re: James E. Stewart Golf Course

Sure was looking forward to seeing my new Thursday night hangout.... Unfortunately my golfing season is in jeopardy as I nurse a hip injury.... X-RAY results pending.

Thread Information