Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sun Cattle

Film Exchange Sun Cattle

New burger place with bar going in directly east of Flashback Retropub in Film Row.

Will be operated by Russ Johnson of Ludivine fame.

Default Re: Sun Cattle

The website is a landing page with nothing on it but the google display says onion fried burgers. We were just lamenting the lack of just a regular place to eat in Film Row that is open at lunch and affordable for the average office worker. Although each of these have their plusses, Joeys is pizza, the sandwich shop has a limited menu and Jones Assembly is a little expensive for a lunch place for office support staff. This will certainly fill a hole. Funny enough...we were having this discussion while eating our Tuckers take out.

https://suncattle.com/

^

I spoke to Russ about this place and he said they want to keep it simple and affordable.

4. Default Re: Sun Cattle

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    We were just lamenting the lack of just a regular place to eat in Film Row that is open at lunch and affordable for the average office worker.
    They will be getting my business for sure.... I will occasionally walk over to Joey's, Lazy Donkey or Sunnyside for lunch from my office but some days I just want a burger that's not fast food.

Is Jones Assembly open for lunch again?

Blog Entries

Will be good for the West Village folks to have a new, non-sonic option

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Will be good for the West Village folks to have a new, non-sonic option
    It was really slim pickins down there for affordable lunch options. I had been in the CBD/bricktown/downtown area for a while and it was really annoying to drop a 20 on lunch daily....

Where is it? What's the address?

Quote Originally Posted by billokc View Post
    Where is it? What's the address?
    800 W. Sheridan; very close to Jones Assembly.

Very slow progress:

10. Default Re: Sun Cattle

Drove by there about 6:30 this morning and they had the place all lit up. It all looks really sharp... Especially all lit up in the dark!

They started hiring last week. Said they plan to open the end of this month.

Went in last week for a soft opening, believe they opened today, 11am-11pm.

This place is legit all around. the food was great and seems the beef is sourced from an owners ranch which is pretty cool. The build out is top notch for what it is, you can tell a lot of love went into this, there’s little details and decor that really set this place apart from what we’re used to seeing lately. Really has a family owned feel (which it is in part).

I had the theta onion burger and a coney with slaw. Both were fantastic and I see this place being a staple in my downtown lunch rotation.

One of the owners is an acquaintance at best so I don’t have a dog in this fight, just thought it was a really cool place.

Edited to say the pricing is very reasonable and that they are using the whole cow in their grind, this is hard to find in ground beef unless you are processing yourself, it’s certainly debatable if it’s better tasting or not but I believe it is as I do this myself for our family.
    Last edited by thunderbird; 02-01-2023 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird View Post
    Went in last week for a soft opening, believe they opened today, 11am-11pm.

This place is legit all around. the food was great and seems the beef is sourced from an owners ranch which is pretty cool. The build out is top notch for what it is, you can tell a lot of love went into this, there’s little details and decor that really set this place apart from what we’re used to seeing lately. Really has a family owned feel (which it is in part).

I had the theta onion burger and a coney with slaw. Both were fantastic and I see this place being a staple in my downtown lunch rotation.

One of the owners is an acquaintance at best so I don’t have a dog in this fight, just thought it was a really cool place.

Edited to say the pricing is very reasonable and that they are using the whole cow in their grind, this is hard to find in ground beef unless you are processing yourself, it’s certainly debatable if it’s better tasting or not but I believe it is as I do this myself for our family.
    Website is up now and has menu. Very reasonable pricing and good menu choices. Looks like I'll be buying lunch for the office sometime in the next week. Exciting to have a reasonable lunch place in the area. https://www.suncattle.com/menus/

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Website is up now and has menu. Very reasonable pricing and good menu choices. Looks like I'll be buying lunch for the office sometime in the next week. Exciting to have a reasonable lunch place in the area. https://www.suncattle.com/menus/
    i went for lunch today had a deluxe burger and the tots . really solid for a good price .

was an good size onion burger

Sun Cattle Co. opens in the West Village

Sun Cattle Co. has opened in the West Village District next to Flashback Retropub and near the Jones Assembly.

Sun Cattle is operated by the team that brought us Ludivine and R&J Supper Club. They feature locally-sourced beef and serve onion-fried hamburgers, coneys, steak sandwiches, Frito chili pie, fries, onion rings, fried pickles, salads, shakes and desserts.

Hamburgers start at just $5.

Also cocktails, beer on draught plus bottles and cans.

Located at 800 W. Sheridan their hours are Monday through Saturday 11 AM to 11 PM.

Coneys with slaw? I’m wondering if they’re doing a take on Sid’s hot dog slaw. I always grab a few jars when I’m in El Reno.

16. Default Re: Sun Cattle

I went in for lunch yesterday and it wasn't that busy for some reason. It was when I left around 1 pm. I got the Big Jack, some chili cheese crowns, and a chocolate shake. It was all delicious and a lot of food for a good price. I couldn't finish the whole burger. It was massive and had plenty of flavors. The interior might be my favorite thing about this place. They even have old diner trays for the food. This is a home run for sure!

I'd wait 3 weeks for the "OKCTalk Effect" to die down and they figure things out there.

Went there today and put in a to go order. 1 hour later I inquired on ETA and told them I had a hard stop and needed to head back to work soon. They couldn't give me an ETA and also said they couldn't give a refund at the time, as they're still trying to figure things out. They took my receipt and wrote my name and phone number and said they might call me later in the week to try and issue the refund....

Yeah... not crossing my fingers on getting that refund....

I am here currently (2:30pm) and it is packed. Not an empty seat.

Edit: It is no longer packed and it is, in fact, taking them a very long time to get orders out.

Edit 2: it took them about 40 minutes to get my order (a hamburger and fries) out. They will figure it out. They were slammed. Very good addition to the Film Row area.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyYi View Post
    I'd wait 3 weeks for the "OKCTalk Effect" to die down and they figure things out there.

Went there today and put in a to go order. 1 hour later I inquired on ETA and told them I had a hard stop and needed to head back to work soon. They couldn't give me an ETA and also said they couldn't give a refund at the time, as they're still trying to figure things out. They took my receipt and wrote my name and phone number and said they might call me later in the week to try and issue the refund....

Yeah... not crossing my fingers on getting that refund....
    The issurer of your card will credit you.

Nice big booths. I hate going to restaurants with 4 adults and they put you in a booth that just isn't big enough for 4 grown adults.

I think we were there at the same time as Tommy. It was right at an hour before we got our food. Someone earlier mentioned their burger was too large to eat. The patty on my cheeseburger was smaller than you’d find on McDonald’s $1 menu. We were reminded of drugstore burgers we used to get as kids. The fries had no salt, probably because they used it all in the batter on the onion rings and steak nuggets.

That's a shame. First impressions are important for return business.

Hopefully, that was a fluke. I love a big burger. A place with Cattle in the name just implies I'm going to have a big, juicy burger that requires both hands to maneuver it and a stack of napkins to wipe up the grease.

I will never understand why anyone goes on the first day open and complains about anything. Makes. No. Sense.

I heard there was a surprising number of people (like school employees) who got the day off for the weather and had a cabin fever explosion after 10AM.

To be clear, OkieBerto ordered the Big Jack which is a double-patty burger for $10.

If you order a hamburger or cheeseburger, that is a single patty for $5/$6.

Thread Information