Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sun Cattle

1. Default Re: Sun Cattle

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Still not a living wage. Still not keeping up. Still need the help.
    Exactly, you can make double minimum wage and you're still struggling so hard. Being employed on that end shows you how easy it can be to make people's day or even week with some extra help. I have been saved by plenty of kind people in the past, unknowingly throwing a big helping hand that was just a few bucks to them, that is why I will always tip when prompted since I can finally help out. However, I don't think tipping should be a thing, people need to be paid for their work and it should not be a surprise. Making us tip isn't making things cheaper, its just passing the savings on to the higher ups, in a form of a tip called a "bonus" while the people doing the actual work are often treated like crap.

Default Re: Sun Cattle

Obviously not certain BUT I feel like I could guess everyone's age within +/- 5 years by their side of this debate. Not good or bad, just interesting.

But can we get back to Sun and Cattle? Who has been here and how did you like it?

3. Default Re: Sun Cattle

It is crazy how this forum seems to always spiral into discussions about how a company should run and what they should charge. All companies large and small are dealing with crazy price increases on goods and employment. Hell, eggs were $8 for a dozen at one point. When I went the place was slow and the service was great and the food was great. I hope that when they are able to hire more staff and get the pricing under control you all go back and give it a second chance!

I am interested to know what others think about how these burgers compare to others around town. There are so many great options for burgers these days.

Blog Entries

^I thought the burger was very good - the meat was a little thicker than say Tuckers or the Garage (or maybe it just seemed that way because we got the big one with double meat and split it and a hot dog with chili and slaw). They use a special sauce that I liked…. but I can see others might want just a traditional onion burger. Overall, I gave the food a thumbs up and will definitely go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    The AG consumer protection division should be contacted. Your card issuer should also be informed.
    Yes it is a very small fee, yet it appears to be an illegal charge in Oklahoma.

2022 Oklahoma Statutes
    Title 14A. Consumer Credit Code
    §14A-2-417. Surcharge for use of credit or debit card.
    Universal Citation: 14A OK Stat § 2-417 (2022)
    A. No seller in any sales transaction may impose a surcharge on a cardholder who elects to use a credit card or debit card in lieu of payment by cash, check or similar means.

B. As used in this section, "debit card" means any instrument or device, whether known as a debit card or by any other name, issued with or without fee by an issuer for the use of the cardholder in depositing, obtaining or transferring funds from a consumer banking electronic facility.

C. For purposes of this section, a private educational institution as defined in paragraph (e) of Section 3102 of Title 70 of the Oklahoma Statutes, a private school defined as a nonpublic entity conducting an educational program for at least one grade between prekindergarten through twelve, a municipality as defined in paragraph 5 of Section 1-102 of Title 11 of the Oklahoma Statutes or a public trust with a municipality as its beneficiary may charge a service fee. The service fee may be applied to online or in-person transactions and shall be used to offset bank processing fees, financial transaction fees, the cost of providing for secure transaction, portal fees, and fees necessary to compensate for increased bandwidth incurred as a result of providing the transaction.

Added by Laws 1977, c. 135, § 2, emerg. eff. June 3, 1977. Amended by Laws 2010, c. 69, § 2, eff. Nov. 1, 2010; Laws 2012, c. 221, § 2; Laws 2015, c. 319, § 3, eff. Nov. 1, 2015; Laws 2017, c. 31, § 2, eff. Nov. 1, 2017; Laws 2019, c. 232, § 1, eff. Nov. 1, 2019.
    Did we ever decide if charging this fee is in fact illegal?

I tried it yesterday evening. No wait to order and received my food in ten minutes. I just got a regular cheeseburger and a coney with slaw. The coney was OK. i found the chili to be a little odd but the slaw was good and did remind me of the slaw from Johnnies in el reno. The burger was fantastic. I remember someone earlier saying their had no seasoning. Well maybe they read this forum because mine was almost overly seasoned but it was very delicious.

Ate here for lunch today and it was pretty fantastic. The onion burgers reminded me of Roberts-Sids-Johnny's in El Reno. Very good and the chili was excellent. Took less than 10 minutes to get our food to us at 11:45 am. Great vibe! I will be back.

9. Default Re: Sun Cattle

Went back last night and tried the Cheese Coney with slaw, Onion rings, and the Fried PB&J with ice cream. It was all good again. The onion rings have good seasoning on them and are on the salty side. The dessert was basically a deep friend Uncrustable with Ice Cream. I live way to close to Sun Cattle. I will probably gain weight because of that.

I went twice. First time I ordered a coney with cheese, a deluxe burger with jalapenos, and fries. The amount of lettuce I got I thought was too much for the burger, and it was iceberg lettuce. I asked what the size of the patty was and was told 3 oz, which by weight is a little under .2 lb. NO worries, next time I order double meat, no lettuce and onion rings. Onion rings are the way to go, and I got lettuce on the burger anyway. I came in so late I didn't want to ask them for another one with no lettuce. Defintely solved the meat/veggie/bread ratio though.

I'm going to go a 3rd time to try the steak sandwich. 2 employees I spoke to mentioned it being their favorite sandwich. Same 3oz as the burger. As far as favorite burger, which onion should probably go in a category of it's own, patty wagon is still on top for me. GOod for the area though.

We went for the first time Saturday, and may need to give them another shot as it didn't really live up to expectations. The meat to onion ratio was way off, and the onions weren't caramelized at all (I typically order extra onions at Tucker's, and this was way more than than even that). The onion rings were good, as was the house lager, so I need to give them another shot to see if it was an off day. The space is really nice.

12. Default Re: Sun Cattle

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    We went for the first time Saturday, and may need to give them another shot as it didn't really live up to expectations. The meat to onion ratio was way off, and the onions weren't caramelized at all (I typically order extra onions at Tucker's, and this was way more than than even that). The onion rings were good, as was the house lager, so I need to give them another shot to see if it was an off day. The space is really nice.
    IMO, they slice their onions to thin and the patties are so small you have to get two. I like this place and have gone twice and will definitely go back.

We havent made it yet. They don't take to go orders according to their google listing which I don't understand when from what I understand....everything is in paper sacks anyway. We will try it when we can call in a to go order for the office. We looked at it today and ended up ordering Tuckers which was great as usual. Guess they are busy enough that they don't want/need $100 lunch orders

14. Default Re: Sun Cattle

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    The meat to onion ratio was way off, and the onions weren't caramelized at all (I typically order extra onions at Tucker's, and this was way more than than even that).
    Sun is as close as you can get to Sid's/Johnny's without driving to El Reno..... The typical OKC onion burger (Nic's/Tucker's) is not like an El Reno onion burger.

Also if you can sit near the grill. The banter between the crew can get very entertaining. Last time I was there someone ordered an extra bun with their burger but only wanted half the extra bun.... The head cook pretty much went through the whole "How much for one rib?" routine from I'm Gonna Git You Sucka when he saw the order and I was almost in tears.

15. Default Re: Sun Cattle

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    We havent made it yet. They don't take to go orders according to their google listing which I don't understand when from what I understand....everything is in paper sacks anyway. We will try it when we can call in a to go order for the office. We looked at it today and ended up ordering Tuckers which was great as usual. Guess they are busy enough that they don't want/need $100 lunch orders
    I've been served on a tray when I've been there but I have seen people getting to go orders.... What I don't know is if they ordered it to go at the counter or called it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    I've been served on a tray when I've been there but I have seen people getting to go orders.... What I don't know is if they ordered it to go at the counter or called it in.
    It's not unusual for a new restaurant to refuse phone-in orders until they get their legs.

I'm sure you can get to-go, but probably not over the phone quite yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's not unusual for a new restaurant to refuse phone-in orders until they get their legs.

I'm sure you can get to-go, but probably not over the phone quite yet.
    They were slammed at ~2:00 on Saturday and were way behind on their orders, so wouldn't surprise me if they are still waiting on phone orders. I'm not sure if it's different during prime lunch and dinner rushes, but given the size of the space it was surprising to see only one person working the flat top.

^

The staffing challenges in food service are immense.

Mike Rowe just made a post about Sun Cattle on Facebook. He said it was the best burger he has ever had.
    So expect business to pick up!

21. Default Re: Sun Cattle

Quote Originally Posted by CatholicSooner View Post
    Mike Rowe just made a post about Sun Cattle on Facebook. He said it was the best burger he has ever had.
    So expect business to pick up!
    I saw that right before I walked over there for lunch yesterday but the Mike Rowe effect hadn't kicked in yet. They were busy but about what they've always been the other times I've been there.

So do we believe Alton Brown or Mike Rowe?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    So do we believe Alton Brown or Mike Rowe?
    When it comes to food (among other things), taste and opinion is subjective and both can be true at the same time.

I am going there for the first time today. I will report back on the crowd. Also, it is pretty nice out for the first time in several days to I could see it being slow due to people going to the Arts Festival for lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    When it comes to food (among other things), taste and opinion is subjective and both can be true at the same time.
    Sorry, forgot the /s... I wouldn't trust either of them (I'm a food snob, if that's not already apparent), but would use Alton as a starting point moreso than Mike. And having had Bar Arbolada's burger, it is pretty good. Will try Sun Cattle's next time we get over there.
    Last edited by TheTravellers; 04-28-2023 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Wrong bar

Thread Information