Widgets Magazine

Thread: Best sit down Chinese food in the metro?

Default Best sit down Chinese food in the metro?

Some may not be aware but Canton on N MacArthur last day of business was the 24th of December. Anyone know of any comparable places in the metro that offer dine in?

Default Re: Best sit down Chinese food in the metro?

Grand House is pretty good.

3. Default Re: Best sit down Chinese food in the metro?

Grand House has always been my go to.

They use a lot of MSG. I wasn’t crazy about their food. I haven’t been to golden Phoenix yet but I’ve heard it’s good.

Fung's isn't bad, either.

Golden Phoenix, Fung's Kitchen, Szechuan Bistro, Chuanyu Fusion and Wa-ha-ha are all top notch sit-down Chinese restaurants. The last three are more similar to each other, than the first two, having a strong Szechuan influence.

I have no experience with Canton but saw an article about them closing. From the photos I saw, it looked like a typical Americanized Chinese restaurant. The places I listed are NOT that, they all serve delicious authentic Chinese food and oddly, their Americanized Chinese dishes often aren't that good. This is not to disparage Americanized Chinese food...I LOVE that stuff, but it's an entirely different beast from the authentic stuff.

Szechuan Story at NW 28th & Classen is fantastic.

Blog Entries

Riding on the trails, Golden Palace, seems to be closed with repairs to roof from some problem, a fire?

I'd say Golden Phoenix and Sichuan Bistro seemed like the most authentic and best taste to me. I don't know if that small noodle restaurant near OCU is still around but they were fairly authentic with a good taste the times I've been there.

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    Golden Phoenix, Fung's Kitchen, Szechuan Bistro, Chuanyu Fusion and Wa-ha-ha are all top notch sit-down Chinese restaurants. The last three are more similar to each other, than the first two, having a strong Szechuan influence.

I have no experience with Canton but saw an article about them closing. From the photos I saw, it looked like a typical Americanized Chinese restaurant. The places I listed are NOT that, they all serve delicious authentic Chinese food and oddly, their Americanized Chinese dishes often aren't that good. This is not to disparage Americanized Chinese food...I LOVE that stuff, but it's an entirely different beast from the authentic stuff.
    While I'm not qualified to speak to its authenticity, Canton was a gem. It was a pleasant time warp into another era in our city. The owner is a dear person, incredibly kind, and the food was always reliably delicious.

It was in a rather terrible location, but overcame that with a fiercely loyal clientele and amazing consistency. Their egg rolls were arguably the best in OKC. I would make trips there just to pick up egg rolls.

It was a sad day when Canton announced its closing, but my wife and I feared the day was coming for a couple of years. The Pandemic has been such a b*tch. Apparently their business remained strong but they are done and ready to retire. The owner's brother died about a year and a half ago. I think they were just ready to turn out the lights.

As for the authentic joints, I've heard nice things about Szechuan Story, Chaunyu, and Fung's but have yet to try any of them. I think we are going to make a trip to Chaunyu for takeout this week.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    While I'm not qualified to speak to its authenticity, Canton was a gem. It was a pleasant time warp into another era in our city. The owner is a dear person, incredibly kind, and the food was always reliably delicious.

It was in a rather terrible location, but overcame that with a fiercely loyal clientele and amazing consistency. Their egg rolls were arguably the best in OKC. I would make trips there just to pick up egg rolls.

It was a sad day when Canton announced its closing, but my wife and I feared the day was coming for a couple of years. The Pandemic has been such a b*tch. Apparently their business remained strong but they are done and ready to retire. The owner's brother died about a year and a half ago. I think they were just ready to turn out the lights.

As for the authentic joints, I've heard nice things about Szechuan Story, Chaunyu, and Fung's but have yet to try any of them. I think we are going to make a trip to Chaunyu for takeout this week.

Be sure and get the fried eggplant dish.....and eat it on the way home. It's like french fries in it's inability to travel and still be in good shape.

I get you on Canton. I have very fond memories of Oklahoma Chinese restaurants in the 80's and 90's and still love that experience. My wife and I seem to always find one we like and then it closes. House of Hunan was the latest. I used to eat there in the mid-90's, when I was in town visiting friends, and she started eating there in the late 90's, when she moved to OKC. We were so sad to see it close down. Our current place is Egg Roll Express, which is fairly new to me, but she's been eating there for over 20 years. And if Canton had better eggrolls than Eggroll Express, I'm sorry I missed them!!!

Chow's over on NW 30th and May has been a favorite of ours for years.

We discovered Canton after our beloved August Moon closed several years ago. We had no idea initially that the two restaurants were owned by brothers! We made trips from SW Okc just to to get egg rolls

Quote Originally Posted by Tavia View Post
    August Moon
    now that's a name i haven't heard in a looong time.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Szechuan Story at NW 28th & Classen is fantastic.
    I second this! It is fantastic!

It was our absolute favorite!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine View Post
    I'd say Golden Phoenix and Sichuan Bistro seemed like the most authentic and best taste to me. I don't know if that small noodle restaurant near OCU is still around but they were fairly authentic with a good taste the times I've been there.
    They aren't in that location anymore but I believe Northern Noodle House on NW 25th between Military and Western is run by the same people.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    Chow's over on NW 30th and May has been a favorite of ours for years.
    Yeah that’s definitely our go-to spot for authentic Chinese. Went to Fung’s recently for the first time in several years. Definitely prefer Chow’s.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    Yeah that’s definitely our go-to spot for authentic Chinese. Went to Fung’s recently for the first time in several years. Definitely prefer Chow’s.
    We've been to Chow's a bunch over the past few years since we moved to Venice, were planning on trying Fung's soon (along with Szechuan Story) - what's different about them that you preferred Chow's?

Thread Information